Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by garman411
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hello All

Game is a LAH

I am getting 4.9 / 4.8 on the 5vdc
    And 14.8 on the 12vdc

This board was just fully recalled and a new BR 1 installed

Now I have read through the pages and disconnected the sound board and cpu

No Change in my under 5vdc rating

This game does play well but will reset at random and I assume due to the voltage shutting down the cpu and resetting it

Any idea what else I can check/replace to bring up my 5vdc ?

Thanks
    James

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Hello All
    Game is a LAH
    I am getting 4.9 / 4.8 on the 5vdc
    And 14.8 on the 12vdc
    This board was just fully recalled and a new BR 1 installed
    Now I have read through the pages and disconnected the sound board and cpu
    No Change in my under 5vdc rating
    This game does play well but will reset at random and I assume due to the voltage shutting down the cpu and resetting it
    Any idea what else I can check/replace to bring up my 5vdc ?
    Thanks
    James

Where are you taking your measurement? Measure AC into bridge, DC directly out of bridge, and DC at connector for the logic power. This will give us more of a picture of the logic voltage supply.

It's not terribly low, and other things can cause resets...make sure you've checked this from the tech pages:

Random Game Resets On JP, LAH and TftC.
    During game play, the games Jurassic Park, Last Action Hero and Tales from the Crypt randomly reset. This occurs because the +5 volt line is shorting against the ground backbox metal plate. This grounding plate lies behind all of the printed circuit boards mounted inside the backbox. The metal plate can bow, causing it to intermittently short against one of the backbox circuit boards. This will cause the game to reset. To fix this problem, remove all the circuit boards (label the connectors!), and remount the metal backbox grounding plate to remove the bow. Another solution is to remove the sound board and affix an insulting material to the metal plate directly behind the sound board at connector CN2. This will insulate the metal grounding plate from the sound board (which is the board most affected by this bowing metal plate). Make sure the insulating material is non-conductive, and thick enough so it cannot be perforated. This problem was discussed in service bulletin number 55.

#3 5 years ago

Taking it right from the 5v TP - 4.9
    Then the cpu side again the same 4.9 as the root

So check the BR as it provides the 12 and 5

Any link to properly testing that with board in the game powered up

Hate to mess something up on the PSU

Thanks for the help

#4 5 years ago

C2 (100uf 25v or 50v) radial electrolytic likes to leak if it has not yet been changed. I suggest changing it and the other smaller capacitors on the power supply.

#5 5 years ago

Every cap replaced

#6 5 years ago

What do you get on the 5v test point of the MPU? If you are dropping too much voltage between boards that is going to be part of the problem. Replace CN6 and CN17, also CN1 and CN2 connector replacement may help your rectifier voltage.

#7 5 years ago

4.9 at cpu

Same value

I have a new square plug in route to replace CN1 to be safe

#8 5 years ago

Fuse clips on DE PS stink.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Fuse clips on DE PS stink.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Chris

Do you have a link for better more reliable clips ? Might as well make it right

#10 5 years ago

Ed at GPE sells some good ones.
    That's usually where I get mine.
    I like to support those who support the hobby and I know that his stuff is good legitimate stuff.
    --
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#11 5 years ago

GPE has two fuse clip amp ratings - make sure you get the right size.

3 weeks later
    #12 5 years ago

Just checking in to see if you ever figured this issue out. My LAH just started resetting and it seems to mostly do it during multiball. Especially when both flippers are hit and the crane and magnets are going. I have all brand new boards in the game and the only thing I can think of is the bridge rectifier's in the back box. I read it can also be the 30,000 mdf Cap but I want to rule out these other things before I drop the 50 bucks on that cap.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from garman411:

Just checking in to see if you ever figured this issue out. My LAH just started resetting and it seems to mostly do it during multiball. Especially when both flippers are hit and the crane and magnets are going. I have all brand new boards in the game and the only thing I can think of is the bridge rectifier's in the back box. I read it can also be the 30,000 mdf Cap but I want to rule out these other things before I drop the 50 bucks on that cap.

Your DMM is your friend, and you should check for cable connector faults and cap faults with it first. Take DC readings all along the power supply chain, looking for even small voltage drops at the connectors. A voltage drop could point to a cracked pin, bad crimp, or oxidized connector which is causing a drop in available current. Repin with Trifurcon connectors for reliability. The current draw from high activity such as multiball and flippers is probably causing a slight dip in the +5VDC logic supply. Also check the AC ripple on your supply voltages with a meter, which could point to bad caps or cracked solder joints on the caps or even the bridges. Fuse clips are notorious on this series for loosing tension or for cracking, and you can't see them until you pull those fuses. It doesn't take much for this type of problem to occur, so everything needs to be spot on.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks wayout, I reseated the connectors to the 5v on the power supply and it seemed to fix the issue. Gonna repin them this weekend.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-days-east-psu-readings- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.