Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on a Data East Time Machine. Roms are verified. I burned new ones anyway and still same result. I get this loud speaker sound. Machine gun style. Checked out Marvin's and changed following 5B (4052), 3B, 6B, 7B. Still no change. YM2151 and YM 3012 IC's still no change. The only thing I haven't changed are the three heat sink mounted amp chips. Anyone have this same symptom and cure
this type of problem? There is no speech or background sound.

#3 7 years ago

How do the ROM sockets look? Do the EPROMs fit snug? Do you still get that sound when the EPROMs are removed?

#4 7 years ago

I might have the same problem. My games only get played every few years. My "Time Machine" was working perfectly the last time I played. Months transpired and a few months ago I fired the ole girl up. Humongous hum out of the sound system. I disconnected everything and started at the transformer and worked outwardly. All voltages are acceptable. I gave up at that point and it has been sitting for many months. I do remember that I don't even get to the point where I can watch the LED's on the CPU or any sort of diagnostics. Even when I disconnected the sound board I still have that nasty sound. I read somewhere it might be grounds, PIA chips or the big capacitor in the backbox. Sorry I can't offer any encouragement. I will watch patiently though.

#5 7 years ago

Fixed. First it was the 68B09E processor. Changed that and had a 74LS393 IC go bad. Now back in business.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I might have the same problem. My games only get played every few years. My "Time Machine" was working perfectly the last time I played. Months transpired and a few months ago I fired the ole girl up. Humongous hum out of the sound system. I disconnected everything and started at the transformer and worked outwardly. All voltages are acceptable. I gave up at that point and it has been sitting for many months. I do remember that I don't even get to the point where I can watch the LED's on the CPU or any sort of diagnostics. Even when I disconnected the sound board I still have that nasty sound. I read somewhere it might be grounds, PIA chips or the big capacitor in the backbox. Sorry I can't offer any encouragement. I will watch patiently though.

Have you tried the ground float? There is a big long thread here dealing with that. Essentially, it comes down to using nylon washer and/or screws to keep the mounting points off the backbox ground. The connector has its own ground, so it doesn't need to be grounded to the backbox ground, introducing a ground loop. Quick way to find out is just unscrew it and let the board float in the air (not touching anything obviously) and power it up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton Twp, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-data-east-sound-board-loud-machine-gun-buzzing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.