(Topic ID: 97734)

TECH: Data East 128x16 DMD - Works in one game but flakes out in another

By Mtpacifico

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mtpacifico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I am trying to figure out what is causing the DMD in my TMNT to flake out.

Upon powering the game up the DMD seems to work fine but after about a minute or so it fades out to almost nothing. I pulled the DMD from my DEST (which works well), put it in the TMNT and get the same results. I then put the original TMNT display in my DEST and that ran without issue for 20+ minutes. I also burned a new display ROM for the TMNT, tried again, and the display still goes out.

So I am leaning away from the problem being with the DMD and possibly something else. The power supply board was serviced by TNT a couple of weeks ago before I purchased the game.

I checked R95 on both boards; 33k on the DEST and 32.88K on the TMNT. Is that OK?

I uploaded a video to YouTube showing the issues.

#3 9 years ago

The work was done by TNT before I purchased the game this week so don't know if it would be covered after the game changes owners.

I checked the voltages and get the following.

Pin1 +5V (I get +4.98V)
Pin4 +12V (I get +11.96V)
Pin5 +68V (I get +37V when it first powers up then DMD goes out and voltage climbs to +54V)
Pin6 -98V (I get -114V when it first powers up then DMD goes out and voltage drops to -69V)
Pin7 -110V (I get -126V when it first powers up then the DMD goes out and voltage drops to -81V)

So does this point back to the power supply board???

- Mike

#5 9 years ago

I pulled the power supply board from my DEST, put it in my TMNT, and the display is staying strong 20+ minutes so far.

I sent Todd a PM. I am not expecting him to fix it since I didn't own the machine 4 weeks ago when he did the work but hoping he can offer some insight so I can get this power supply board operational and get the DEST back online.

- Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 5.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 1.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mtpacifico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-data-east-128x16-dmd-works-in-one-game-but-flakes-out-in-another?tu=Mtpacifico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.