Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

colordmdfix1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Just picked up a colorDMD for my Terminator 2. I have installed 6 colorDMD's and this is the first time I get nothing.
I did everything the same as before. I wonder am I supposed to do something different with Sigma only? I have the Sigma ROM, however the display doesn't even light up. The USB is not getting power, none of the status LED's are lit. So, I am not getting any power to the colorDMD or the colorDMD is dead?

I tried power from into J-116 and into J-117. Still nothing...

#2 8 years ago

Tried it in another machine... Still dead. So, safe to say I got a DOA display.

#3 8 years ago

The recent production run from ColorDMD (Getaway) has a manufacturer error. if you're good with a meter, i can give you some ideas.

With the game powered on and your DMD set to DC volts, check for 3.3 volts at R2 (either side) and U2 pin 7 (these are right by the power .156" molex male connector.) I have attached a picture that shows these points (blue wire.) If there is a power problem, none of the three LEDs on the colordmd board will be "on."

If you get 3.3 volts at R2 and don't get 3.3 volts at U2 pin7, the via at R2 is most likely the problem. Randy from Colordmd says that re-soldering the R2 via often is all that is required.

I put a wire (blue wire in the picture) between these two points. I ran the wire because the colordmd worked fine for a few days, and then crapped out. I figured there was a problem that could be re-occurring, so the wire made the fix more permanent (in my eye at least.) It's probably overkill though.

Another note... the Aux and Pwr connectors are parallel connectors. Meaning you can attach the power cable to either connector. Once the colordmd is receiving proper power, the three tiny board LEDs will light up upon power on.

colordmdfix1.jpgcolordmdfix1.jpg

To add more detail... the chips on the colordmd board use 3.3 volts DC as power. Obviously wpc games don't supply that voltage. so the U1 chip takes 12 volts in at U1 pin 7, and converts it to 3.3 volts out at U1 pin 8. It goes through a choke L1 and resistor R1, then off the U2 pin 7. basically U1 is a small voltage regulator.

#4 8 years ago

I got a bad one for my Getaway this week too. Their customer service was outstanding they sent me another as soon as I notified them, and included a return shipping label.

#5 8 years ago

Didn't realize they did T2. Awesome.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Didn't realize they did T2. Awesome.

it is a sigma display only. the color rom for T2 has not been developed/released yet.

#7 8 years ago

WHY....!!!.....everyone and there Mother has a T2.....WHY will they not do it......???!!!...........Joey

#8 8 years ago

Spoke with Randy at colorDMD. We tried the AUX as well. Still dead. He is sending me a replacement. I really hope they do color T2 some day. But I think its cool that I can connect it to my LED sound controller while I wait.

#9 8 years ago

IT WORKS!!!!

*colorDMD hooked up to a sound controller. The speakers and the DMD change color when the sub hits a high level. Sound controller mounted next to the sub. Simple but fun. I had a big box sitting on the glass which was what my phone was sitting on. So I could not see to play anything. So, not much animation in the clip.

#10 8 years ago

Side note- which speaker leds are you running, those look nice

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Side note- which speaker leds are you running, those look nice

They are just the standard Speaker-LED rings. I forgot where I bought them sorry. But you have to defuse the light or it will blind you to death. I used white foam to defuse the light. I think they recently did the same thing and offer a defuse layer. If you don't want RGB controlled speakers, you can also use a pop-cap LED's from comet. Pretty much the same thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-colordmd-not-powering-up-terminator-2-sigma and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.