(Topic ID: 29621)

Tech: Cleaning Legs? The CLR in PVC method???

By Whysnow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130724_154737_040.jpg
    IMG_20130723_180844_677.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Howdy all,

I wanted to clean some legs and I remember reading that an easy way is to get a 3ft long piece of PVC, one end permenantly capped, the other end with a removable cap, and drop in the legs with some CLR (or similar rust/ oxidization remover).

I unfortunately do not remember the details and was unable to find any answers via searching...

What strength should the CLR be? 50/50 with water?

How long do I need to leave the legs in? 30 min, 2hr, overnight?

Do I just rinse the legs off or will I need to use some sort of scrubbing pad/steel wool to help clean them up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 11 years ago

I didn't use CLR, I used Evapo-Rust.

For that, I left them in overnight, and it did wonders. 1 leg had to go another day because of the rust on it, but after that, it was good.

The legs just rinsed off, then I waxed them to prevent future rust.

#3 11 years ago

i always use SOS pads (steel wool and a special soap) and elbow grease and I have had a lot of luck with that!

#4 11 years ago

Wolfmarsh >>

Did you use the rust remover at full strength or dilute?

Just use regular carnuba wax afterwards?

Josh>> I will grab some SOS pads just incase it needs a little manual ramoval.

#5 11 years ago

I did full strength, then regular carnuba wax.

I've never used CLR, so I can't speak to it, but with what I used, it was so easy. I never thought the rust would actually just come off in the solution without some elbow grease, but it did.

I looked it up, I used Evapo-Rust. It was great stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BO1DGY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

I picked it because of the reviews, but because it is also non-toxic. Which meant I didnt have to worry about my kids because I spilled some.

#6 11 years ago

great info!

#7 11 years ago

How much Evapo-Rust does it take to fill the pvc tube to cover the leg?

#8 11 years ago

I put 2 legs in my 3" PVC. I think it used the whole jug. 2 gallons? Can't recall. It worked great but most of the chrome had flaked off. I ended up sanding them down and sprayed them light grey. In hindsight I would have just bought new legs for a few dollars more.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

How much Evapo-Rust does it take to fill the pvc tube to cover the leg?

It really depends on what diameter pipe you use, etc...

For mine, I used a 36" wallpaper dipping tray. Took 1 gallon to cover 4 legs in the tray.

#10 11 years ago

I have been using the CLR/PVC method for about 8 years. You only need about 20% CLR to be effective. I can usually get about 8-12 legs done before having to change out the water. It takes about 24 hours and then they are good to go. Rinse them off, wipe them off, then I use some Novus 2 to polish them, and then some wax, and wipe clean.

For rustier legs, you just have to soak, rinse, then resoak, then rinse, until the rust is gone (essentially removing in layers).

#11 11 years ago

I have a buddy that has amazing results using a method similar to this(He doesn't like to pay for CLR)-

You have to do that one outside though.

#12 11 years ago

That's pretty cool...^

I'll have to give that a try.

#13 11 years ago

Is there a problem with using plain old naval jelly?

#14 11 years ago

I just took one of my legs out to the bench buffer and buffed the rust off of it, then wiped it off with a soft towel. It looks like brand stinky new and only took me 15 minutes of minimal labor.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

Is there a problem with using plain old naval jelly?

I used to be a fan of naval jelly, until I tried Evapo-rust. Naval jelly is an antique compared to some of the new stuff like Evapo-Rust.

Take a look at the MSDS of Evapo-rust compared to the MSDS of CLR and naval jelly.

ER: http://www.evaporust.com/docs/MSDS%20Evaporust.pdf
    CLR: http://mfc.engr.arizona.edu/safety/MSDS%20FOLDER/CLR_Cleaner.pdf
    NJ: http://www.henkelcamsds.com/pdf/553472_235119_Loctite_Naval_Jelly_Rust_Dissolver.pdf

8 months later
    #16 10 years ago

Bumping this up, has anyone tried using this on habitrails? Wondering if you would get good results.

#17 10 years ago

What about black legs? Will clr clean those up without screwing up the paint?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Bumping this up, has anyone tried using this on habitrails? Wondering if you would get good results.

I would use evapo-rust with no hesitation after my experience with it on the legs.

#19 10 years ago

I wonder how Hank would handle this?

Nice bath of Sulfuric Acid?

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I would use evapo-rust with no hesitation after my experience with it on the legs.

Thanks wolfmarsh, thinking of trying it.

#21 10 years ago

Water and aluminum foil. It works wonders. Amazing...

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thanks wolfmarsh, thinking of trying it.

No problem.

My kids factored into my decision to try evapo-rust, since its non-toxic. I try to keep really caustic stuff out of the garage since that's where the pins/games are as well, and I tend to leave things out on the workbench.

The fact that it is biodegradable made it nice too, I was able to just dump it out when I was done, and not have to follow any kind of disposal stuff.

#24 10 years ago

O'reilly auto parts sells evapo-rust also, haven't seen it at Autozone.

Just for kicks I soaked a couple of coil brackets in a bucket of evapo-rust overnight to see what it could do. Here are the before and after pictures. The main thing that stands out - before they were fairly rusted and lightly pitted, after-rust was completely gone, looked pretty good.

The other good thing about evapo-rust is you can use it over and over until it turns black pretty much.

IMG_20130723_180844_677.jpgIMG_20130723_180844_677.jpg IMG_20130724_154737_040.jpgIMG_20130724_154737_040.jpg

#25 10 years ago

Here is an Evap-o-rust post I did.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-old-legs

Use it all the time.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Here is an Evap-o-rust post I did.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-old-legs

Use it all the time.

Good stuff!

Quoted from goldiewag:

Just for kicks I soaked a couple of coil brackets in a bucket of evapo-rust overnight to see what it could do. Here are the before and after pictures. The main thing that stands out - before they were fairly rusted and lightly pitted, after-rust was completely gone, looked pretty good.

That worked great!

Thanks for the link!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My kids factored into my decision to try evapo-rust, since its non-toxic. I try to keep really caustic stuff out of the garage since that's where the pins/games are as well, and I tend to leave things out on the workbench.

The fact that it is biodegradable made it nice too, I was able to just dump it out when I was done, and not have to follow any kind of disposal stuff.

I really like that as well. Also my time is at a premium, with a 17 month old I only get about an hour after everyone goes to bed. I know that the coca cola and foil method works great but it is such a time suck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-cleaning-legs-the-clr-in-pvc-method and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.