(Topic ID: 575)

tech: Check those 30 year old solder joints (Gorgar)

By super8man

14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by Brokedad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

Just a follow up for helping future pin repairs: I discovered why my Gorgar was not resetting the topmost drop targets: a diode was disconnected and another wire was hanging on by a thread if that on that setup.

So, I resoldered both connections (it was the target at the hardest end of the three targets to deal with - closest to where it just clears the box when the playfield is held up by the prop). I thought I had inspected it real close but unless I actually touched the diode, it was just sitting above the broken solder joint...upon removing the little black screws that hold down the yellow/clear plastic and inspecting the copper traces, I noticed another wire basically broken. Fixed both wires...

Fired up the game and after an initial hesitation (when they were knocked down), they started dropping...now they reset all the time (properly that is). Nice to hear "GORGAR" again. My average score is now ranging from 150 to 300k.

Now if I could figure out why my game goes blank on the backlight/scores after prolonged play (3 hours or so), then gives a 04 error, then after sitting for 5 minutes with power off, starts up normally, I would be set.

Oh well, it plays great for the couple of hours of play a day it gets...

Cheers,
Mike

#2 14 years ago

It's a constant battle on the old ones keeping things attached. I can't count the number of times I've resoldered the wires to the zipper flippers in my Medusa machine. The last time I just replaced the whole wire entirely with a much longer more flexible one. We'll see how that works/lasts.

I worked on a machine once for someone and a person had installed solid wires instead of braided .. oh that was a good idea on an item that constantly moved with its wires .. pffft ..

I've play Gorgar as a real machine and also on the Xbox 360. It's a classic and a real keeper. I know my Medusa says "Time your shot like Gorgons" when you launch the ball. It was Bally taking a shot back at the Williams machine when they all started adding voice. It is a skill timing shot with rollovers and red/yellow/green timing lights in the launch. I know my Street Fighter II has the same kind of thing. Your timing is displayed on the DMD. I like being late rather than early though when Chun Li speaks. No guy wants to be "early" on his "shot".. hehe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-check-those-30-year-old-solder-joints-gorgar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.