Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by fschlau
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

TECH: We decided to replace the last stock board in our CFTBL with a brand new Rottendog A12697-1 MPU. We also replaced the back-up batteries, and did a factory reset on the game. Fired it back up, and now the game will not start. It's set up for free play, and nothing obvious is wrong. Game seems otherwise normal...but the start button doesn't light, and pressing it has no effect. Tried manually adding credits to the game (just in case.) No joy.

I'm not even sure how to begin troubleshooting this problem. Checked all the connectors and reseated them again. Still no job. Any suggestions?

Les & Abby Rayburn
Maylene, AL

#2 2 years ago

What does it actually do right now? Are you in attract mode? You mentioned setting it to free play. Can you get into the service menu?

Have you checked continuity of your start button back to the mpu? Or even to the cabinet board.

#3 2 years ago

You have 3 balls installed in the game, and are all the ball trough switches working?

#4 2 years ago

Need to go into Switch Test mode and see if the Start Button is actually being detected when pushed.

#5 2 years ago

The machine is in attract mode. The start switch does not light up (it did previously). In Switch Test mode, the start switch is not detected when pressed. I have a multimeter and can trace continuity but I'm not sure of the best way to accomplish this. Should I unplug the connector that holds these wires, and measure from the connector back to the button?

I can get into the service menu. Anything else I should check?

Thanks for all the assistance.

#6 2 years ago

Any connectors plugged in one pin off at the bottom of the MPU board?

#7 2 years ago

Take a picture of the bottom of the mpu and also the wiring for the start button inside the front of the cabinet

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from lowga:

The machine is in attract mode. The start switch does not light up (it did previously). In Switch Test mode, the start switch is not detected when pressed. I have a multimeter and can trace continuity but I'm not sure of the best way to accomplish this. Should I unplug the connector that holds these wires, and measure from the connector back to the button?
I can get into the service menu. Anything else I should check?
Thanks for all the assistance.

Pics would be good. Did you replace the MPU due to corrosion? Unplug the connector and do the continuity check first. If you don't have it to there then go backwards towards the cabinet board. You could simply have some corrosion/buildup on that connector pins too. You may need to replace that connector. Anyways continuity first then go from there.

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

The problem turned out to be a connector on another board that lead from a "cabinet switch" that had become disconnected. Once reconnected, the game started right up.

We played the game a few times, and then had to go into another room to do some work. We left the machine on, planning to return to play more games later. A few hours later, we heard three loud "knocks" from the gameroom, similar to the sound of the knocker on a pinball machine. I went in to investigate, and finding nothing amiss decided to play a quick game on CFTBL.

The game will start, but now the flippers don't work at all. Back to the troubleshooting drawing board....

6 months later
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from lowga:

The problem turned out to be a connector on another board that lead from a "cabinet switch" that had become disconnected. Once reconnected, the game started right up.
We played the game a few times, and then had to go into another room to do some work. We left the machine on, planning to return to play more games later. A few hours later, we heard three loud "knocks" from the gameroom, similar to the sound of the knocker on a pinball machine. I went in to investigate, and finding nothing amiss decided to play a quick game on CFTBL.
The game will start, but now the flippers don't work at all. Back to the troubleshooting drawing board....

Check fuse F116, 12V

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-cftbl-won-t-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.