TECH: Centaur intermittent ORB launch sound

By pinballcorpse

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I can't figure this out.

My Centaur is NOT making the launch sound each time a ball (ORB) is released, but does sound off occasionally.

I am pretty certain it should make the sound every single time.

On mine, the lights go out just before the ORB release (which is normal), but only sometimes do I hear the launch sound.

I don't know if there is a switch or relay that triggers the sound or what causes the sound.

All other sound effects seem normal and OK and as I said sometimes it makes the sound. All ORBS launch out as expected.

As a side note, I just replaced the power module board with a repro from K's Arcade. The reason was that all of the lights were randomly powering on and off and with the new board the game seems to work fine.

I wouldn't think that new power module board should have any bearing on the intermittent ORB launch sound issue, but thought I should mention it just in case.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Jeff

#2 10 years ago

My Centaur doesn't either, but I think this is related to what other sounds/speech are going on at a similar time, I'm not sure, but I think it's just that these very old and limited sound cards can only manage to do so much.

Be interesting to hear what others say though.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from TinyToo:

My Centaur doesn't either, but I think this is related to what other sounds/speech are going on at a similar time, I'm not sure, but I think it's just that these very old and limited sound cards can only manage to do so much.
Be interesting to hear what others say though.

This is helpful to know.

My game had been down for a while because of the power board issue and when I finally got it back running, it seemed that the frequency of the launch sound was not what I recall, but I admit my memory regarding it may be fuzzy.

Hopefully other Centaur owners will chime in.

Thank you for your post.

#4 10 years ago

A friend of mine called me and explained his does not make a sound every time a ball is launched either.

Starting to think it is not supposed to make a sound each time.

Would be interested to know if there is a forced sequence to generate the sound when orbs release.

#5 10 years ago

Mine makes the correct sound all the time.

I know there's a switch in the launching wiringtube. Perhaps that causes this problem?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

Mine makes the correct sound all the time.
I know there's a switch in the launching wiringtube. Perhaps that causes this problem?

Ok so yours makes the sound every time a ball is launched? That is from completing orbs or guardians or hitting release.

I am not sure if that tube switch activates the sound since I have seen games where balls are stuck in the trough and not being launched or triggering the switch in the tube.

You are the first to say you hear the sound every single time.

Back to the drawing board for me.

#7 10 years ago

Just had another owner email me. Sounds each time orbs launched

Now I am more curious since different groups have different sound effect frequencies for the ORB launch. Everyone has had coin door setting 18 on 3.

#8 10 years ago

Check debounce caps on switches.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Check debounce caps on switches.

Ok, that's a start. If this is the issue, I am thinking it has to be one of the caps on either the last switch in the trough or the switch in the tunnel before the exit.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
£ 195.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-centaur-intermittent-orb-launch-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.