(Topic ID: 89024)

Tech: Cannot raise playfield Stern pinball.Fixed, sort of.

By starbase

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I was trying to lift one of my machines playfield to install a mod and it is not budging. I have used enough force to lift the whole cabinet front off the ground. I see nothing rubbing , I tried pulling side to side and event field grabbing service rails and a few light smacks with a rubber mallet did nothing .

Scared to do anything more without some advice.

#2 9 years ago

What title?

It may matter.
faz

#3 9 years ago

If you are talking about a late-model machine, your best bet may be to get one hand at the rear of the playfield and another at the front (as if you were approaching from the side) and pull up.

Brad

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

What title?
It may matter.
faz

Tron LE

#5 9 years ago

my XMLE needs to be pulled a little over to the left as I'm lifting.

#6 9 years ago

silly question... did you unlock the lock down mech? it is just sliding back to closed before you try to lift the pf?

#7 9 years ago

Is the metal plunger rod catching?

#8 9 years ago

This is no help but ..what mod?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

silly question... did you unlock the lock down mech? it is just sliding back to closed before you try to lift the pf?

It slides back automatically like normal, but I did try lifting with it engaged, no difference.

Quoted from rai:

my XMLE needs to be pulled a little over to the left as I'm lifting.

Tried that, not really budging left or right.

Quoted from RobKnapp:

Is the metal plunger rod catching?

No not catching and also tried lifting with plunger pulled back.

Quoted from pinwillie:

This is no help but ..what mod?

Was going to finally install mirror blades and a shit ton of powder coated armor and extras namely the shooter housing, shooter rod, side rails with EL tape mod, and new service rails. Same mods I had sitting underneath game last time you were over. Yes not rushing into anything when it comes to mods.

#10 9 years ago

I just got a tron le in that had mirror blades on it. Some crappy version that are thick and had to be removed in order to lift the playfield. Is that your problem?

#11 9 years ago

Cancel my thought, I see your trying to install blades.

#12 9 years ago

Reach your hand inside the coin door and try pushing up on the support rails.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Reach your hand inside the coin door and try pushing up on the support rails.

Tried that and no dice.

Maybe I just need a second set of eyes or hands, because I see nothing out of wack and nothing seems to be rubbing at sides. So odd I know that I have lifted this playfield a few times with no previous issues. Could a screw have fallen out and wedged on side between playfield and cabinet?

#14 9 years ago

Something similar happens on my MET Pro - I think the metal tabs that lock into the lockdown acceptor bind up or something. It always scares me to pull that hard on the chincy plastic apron.

#15 9 years ago

Can you run a blade unhindered all round the edge?

#16 9 years ago

Is the playfield hitting the plunger when you pull up?

#17 9 years ago

The cabinet is torqued to one side or the other (slightly out of square) jamming the playfield. Just pick up the front of the game and sway it lightly a bit side to side. Put it back down and voila, the playfield is now free to move.

#18 9 years ago

Sometimes it seems I have to push the playfield to the back of the cabinet and then lift up almost like the brackets at the front of the playfield are catching in the metal tray.

#19 9 years ago

Some machines have a slight warp in them and get jammed, put your hand under the left front leg and lift it slightly of the ground and get someone to lift the playfield......... see if it works I have the same prob on my mople

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Can you run a blade unhindered all round the edge?

Trying this today.\

Quoted from DCFAN:Is the playfield hitting the plunger when you pull up?

No but it is rubbing the auto plunger which seems odd but not the culprit.

Quoted from wheels:

Sometimes it seems I have to push the playfield to the back of the cabinet and then lift up almost like the brackets at the front of the playfield are catching in the metal tray.

Yeah tried this to but not budging at all.

Quoted from Mato:

Some machines have a slight warp in them and get jammed, put your hand under the left front leg and lift it slightly of the ground and get someone to lift the playfield......... see if it works I have the same prob on my mople

Hmm, dont think its warped but I will try this tip too. Thanks all for throwing in some ideas.

#21 9 years ago

Why not give Stern a call now? Ask them for advice too. Perhaps they have a pattern of this issue.

They'll be closed by the time you get home.
faz

#22 9 years ago

Did you have the game on its end to move it recently? If so something, coinbox, a mod that you had stored inside the game, or something fell and is keeping you from raising the playfield. Maybe??

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ArnieC:

Did you have the game on its end to move it recently? If so something, coinbox, a mod that you had stored inside the game, or something fell and is keeping you from raising the playfield. Maybe??

No movement whatsoever.

#24 9 years ago

the inside lever to unlock the playfield, is that being held all the way over while the pf is at the same time being lifted?

seems like a easy idea I know but it
sounds like the lock lever could have become stuck or not fully engaging just curious good luck

#25 9 years ago

This happened on my xmen le. All I did was a quick yank and it finally lifted.

#26 9 years ago

Another thought. Take the apron off (screws from the top...right).
See if you can get a better angle on what's going on.

faz

#27 9 years ago

Fixed it with two flat head screw drivers under under the metal flaps in front of playfield. A little force and pop came up like normal. When lowering it back down it seems to catch and get wedged in again and I need screwdrivers to raise it. So I have access now thankfully but it is less then ideal and I am going to try mess around a little more with it to truly get to the bottom of this.

#28 9 years ago

whew!

#30 9 years ago

Awesome

#31 9 years ago

I had a tough time with my Avatar too - I thought I was going to break something at first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.50
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-cannot-raise-playfield-stern-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.