• 29 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello Crew,

Have a strange issue going on with my Mist Ball on BSD. The game has new long range optos that have been tested out on another game. Some work has been done to the 24 opto board and all seems to be working properly. My issue is in test mode "magnet" the game operates perfectly. Game will load the ball, take it back and forth just fine & runs the magnet unloaded fine. When I play a game and get mist ball, the ball will half way across the playfield and drop off the magnet. I've also noticed that while playing it will sometimes just release the ball out of the gate.

The game isn't showing a credit dot and nothing is coming up wrong in test mode. I've gone into switch edges and tested all the switches and found no problems. What's stumping me is why it works fine in test mode (have it probably 20 times and its never dropped the ball), but yet drops it 100% in game play. I've taken a magnet and drawn the ball from one side to the other in switch edge and it doesn't seem to have a dead spot coming across the playfield.

Anyone have any ideas why it works fine in test and doesn't work in game play?

Thanks in advance.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballJeff:

Hello Crew,
Have a strange issue going on with my Mist Ball on BSD. The game has new long range optos that have been tested out on another game. Some work has been done to the 24 opto board and all seems to be working properly. My issue is in test mode "magnet" the game operates perfectly. Game will load the ball, take it back and forth just fine & runs the magnet unloaded fine. When I play a game and get mist ball, the ball will half way across the playfield and drop off the magnet. I've also noticed that while playing it will sometimes just release the ball out of the gate.
The game isn't showing a credit dot and nothing is coming up wrong in test mode. I've gone into switch edges and tested all the switches and found no problems. What's stumping me is why it works fine in test mode (have it probably 20 times and its never dropped the ball), but yet drops it 100% in game play. I've taken a magnet and drawn the ball from one side to the other in switch edge and it doesn't seem to have a dead spot coming across the playfield.
Anyone have any ideas why it works fine in test and doesn't work in game play?
Thanks in advance.

Id guess the 24 opto board is the culprit... probably the caps on the board going bad. This has been my experience anyhow

#3 4 years ago

I would hook up a multimeter to the led receiver and see if it switches on when the event happens.

#4 4 years ago

PM sent to OP as well. Agree opto boards could be culprit. What is the long range opto part number and where to source? I have been looking for a replacement.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Id guess the 24 opto board is the culprit... probably the caps on the board going bad. This has been my experience anyhow

Caps and inductor were replaced. It was DOA before we worked on it. It at least registers in switch edge test now.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

PM sent to OP as well. Agree opto boards could be culprit. What is the long range opto part number and where to source? I have been looking for a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VY25N8J

#8 4 years ago

Is adjustment A.2 - 42 magnet disable set wrong?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Is adjustment A.2 - 42 magnet disable set wrong?

Can you elaborate? Not sure what you're talking about.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballJeff:

Can you elaborate? Not sure what you're talking about.

Received more feedback and this isn't the problem as it's loading the ball in the gate at start and holding there until mist ball begins. My understanding is if this is disabled it won't even load a ball.

It's just odd that it works perfect in test and does the consistent drop half way across in play.

#11 4 years ago

I just remembered there was something in the adjustments menu to turn off the magnet.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere in this thread about the ball dropping off the magnet about half way across the play field. You might have to do a detailed search- I don’t remember if there was a final solution.

#12 4 years ago

I’ve had this issue over ten years ago. I dont have the photo anymore however i glued a half inch plastic tube (maybe shorter) onto the opto . This did the trick. The tube was the same daimeter as the opto on the left.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Dirk:

I’ve had this issue over ten years ago. I dont have the photo anymore however i glued a half inch plastic tube (maybe shorter) onto the opto . This did the trick. The tube was the same daimeter as the opto on the left.

Thanks for the response. Was your issue that the ball would fall off half way across? I'm assuming that you mounted the plastic tube to the transmitter, not the receiver correct? I don't seem to have a switch not receiving issue as it works fine in switch edge and in magnet test.

Still stumped.

#14 4 years ago

While in switch test, try smacking the playfield down with your palm. My BSD worked fine in switch test and magnet test- only while playing the flippers/vuk/pop-bummpers would trigger the switch. I found that the long opto was just barely reading because it was not pointed straight. I shimmed it slightly down and has worked flawlessly for 4 years. Unfortunately this was after I bought a new opto board, new optos, ect, ect....
Good luck

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

While in switch test, try smacking the playfield down with your palm. My BSD worked fine in switch test and magnet test- only while playing the flippers/vuk/pop-bummpers would trigger the switch. I found that the long opto was just barely reading because it was not pointed straight. I shimmed it slightly down and has worked flawlessly for 4 years. Unfortunately this was after I bought a new opto board, new optos, ect, ect....
Good luck

Thanks Ryan. I'll give that a shot tonight.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Good luck

Tried the pounding on the playfield and there was no change on the status of switch 82. I'm thinking it might be an alignment issue.

#17 4 years ago

Is anyone aware, if I have an alignment issue and the as the ball is coming across and the receiver receives the signal from the transmitter - does that trigger the magnet to shut off?

#18 4 years ago

I mountes the small tube on the left side of the playfield. Not sure if this is the receiver.

However i had the exact same issue like you had. In test no problem and during the game it fell of in the middle.

Just give it a try with a small tube if it does not work you can always take it off again.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Dirk:

I mountes the small tube on the left side of the playfield. Not sure if this is the receiver

I agree on this solution. If I remember correctly: from factory there could be 2 opto housings inline in the left magnet opto pocket. This does the same trick as quoted earlier.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

I agree on this solution. If I remember correctly: from factory there could be 2 opto housings inline in the left magnet opto pocket. This does the same trick as quoted earlier.

The game currently has (2) receiver housings on the left side.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballJeff:

Is anyone aware, if I have an alignment issue and the as the ball is coming across and the receiver receives the signal from the transmitter - does that trigger the magnet to shut off?

When the ball is knocked off the magnet, it shuts the magnet off and mist light off. I would assume it shuts the magnet off so the balls don't get reattached to the magnet as the carriage moves a across the playfield during multiball.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

When the ball is knocked off the magnet, it shuts the magnet off and mist light off. I would assume it shuts the magnet off so the balls don't get reattached to the magnet as the carriage moves a across the playfield during multiball.

So this would probably point in the direction of an alignment issue then I'm guessing. I'm thinking somehow the receiver is getting the signal as the ball comes across the playfield causing it to release the ball.

#23 4 years ago

Do you have bright leds in your pin... particularly near the long optos? I know they can mess the opto beam up ...

#25 4 years ago

In switch mode- move a ball slowly through and activate the long opto. You may find that your opto is just barely reading the ball. Mine was reading to low. Yours maybe the opposite it is activating to much, and seeing past the ball...

1 week later
#26 4 years ago

Life has been a little busy, so I hadn't had a chance to do more testing until now. Quick recap - game is working just fine in magnet test and not showing a credit dot. In game play it would drop the ball as it crossed right to left.

I ended up mounting a tube on the receiver (left side) and the ball has no problem going right to left. Here's where it gets weird. When transferring ball from left to right, the ball will make it about 3/4 of the way and then it drops/falls off magnet. I've tried this 3 different days and it's always the same result - ball falls off on the return left to right. Even weirder, if the game has been turned on for awhile the game plays just fine (doesn't fall off at all). At least the three times that I've tried.

I thought about putting a tube on the transmitter. Any other thoughts out there?

#27 4 years ago

Does this happen with the glass on and off?
Is there any daylight that might affect the optos?

Errors like these remind me of a Shadow battlefield opto that acted weird depending on playfield glass on or off and the brightness of the daylight.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Does this happen with the glass on and off?
Is there any daylight that might affect the optos?
Errors like these remind me of a Shadow battlefield opto that acted weird depending on playfield glass on or off and the brightness of the daylight.

This, I had a shadow and had to change the opto board. Worked fine in test mode. Buy the new upgraded opto board and be done with it. They are $99 I think. Solved my issue. Only bsd and shadow use this board. I guarantee this is your issue. Bsd are known for this.

#29 4 years ago

try changing out your balls if all else fails. also check to see if you can move magnet a little closer to the bottom of the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bsd-mist-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.