(Topic ID: 246866)

Tech - BSD Long Opto

By PinballJeff

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Little history and then current status as I know a number of people have struggled with the long opto.

History - My game was giving me a number of ground row issues. The problem ended up being in the opto board up in the head. The board was repaired and tested out in another game and all is working well. When I placed it in my game all my issues were solved, but I was having a "load magnet error".

Now - I ordered new long distance optos and replaced both transmitter & receiver. I tested the opto's in switch test under the playfield and they were communicating with each other and I was able to get them a distance apart and they still worked. I mounted them in the game and was able to run the magnet test and all went well and the credit dot disappeared. Once I put all the parts back together and fired up the game I was getting "load magnet error" again. When I removed all the parts to get down to the opto's they started working again. I decided to put the parts on one by one with the game on so that I could test the switch after each part to try and determine if one was causing the issue. All was going well and as I tightened a nut on the plastic above the receiver (not the one on the gate) the opto's stopped working. I stripped all the parts off again and undid the opto's to try them under the playfield again. When I did this I can't get them to talk to each other now. I'm thinking I've got a wire issue between the opto and the board that they plug into or an issue with that board. I used a camera and it looks like the transmitter is lit.

Is there something that could cause the opto's to stop working (take them out)?

Welcome to any and all suggestions.

#2 4 years ago

Could that nut be tweaking the opto mount, or anything else that might be in the way of the path between the transmitter and receiver? I remember having a hard time lining them up just right, and having to put a little piece of cardboard under that plastic mount to get it lined up just right to reach all the way across.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Could that nut be tweaking the opto mount, or anything else that might be in the way of the path between the transmitter and receiver? I remember having a hard time lining them up just right, and having to put a little piece of cardboard under that plastic mount to get it lined up just right to reach all the way across.

I don't think it's affecting the opto as it's a couple of inches away and doesn't seem to have any contact. Also the fact that the opto's aren't working when put close together under the playfield makes me think it's not an alignment issue.

Thanks for the post.

#4 4 years ago

Here is something to try I thought of last night. Install the transmitter and receiver optos and get them aligned as best as possible including the shield in front of the receiver on the left side. Make sure they are plugged into the 24" opto board under the playfield and that the 24" opto board has the red light lit telling you it has 12V power. Don't worry about plastics or other stuff at this point.

Load the balls, and then go to the tests and then mist test and let it run through the motor, switch, opto and flasher modes of the test. Then exit tests and see if it loads a ball in the right pocket. If it doesn't, you could try and manually load a ball in the right pocket and start a game to see if it will recognize the ball and play a game normally. Just something to try.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Here is something to try I thought of last night. Install the transmitter and receiver optos and get them aligned as best as possible including the shield in front of the receiver on the left side. Make sure they are plugged into the 24" opto board under the playfield and that the 24" opto board has the red light lit telling you it has 12V power. Don't worry about plastics or other stuff at this point.
Load the balls, and then go to the tests and then mist test and let it run through the motor, switch, opto and flasher modes of the test. Then exit tests and see if it loads a ball in the right pocket. If it doesn't, you could try and manually load a ball in the right pocket and start a game to see if it will recognize the ball and play a game normally. Just something to try.

Mike, that was were I was at before I put it all back together. With it in pieces I was able to run the magnet test and all went well which is why I put it back together. When the optos were in place (before removing them to try under playfield) I tried this and it would load the ball on the right side but then ended up just opening the gate and letting the ball drain.

I'm willing to try it again if you think it makes sense. I'm just thinking that because I can't get the optos to talk to each other in switch test when they're a couple of inches apart putting them back in will result in taking them out again.

#6 4 years ago

Ok. well, I would try one more time with the optos where they are supposed to be and do all the install with the power off. Go through the switch test and mist test again. Even if it kicks the ball out, put it back in manually and start a game. If it works, turn off and put it back together. I know it's a PITA to keep removing everything, but if it's not working after that, then it's time to bring it over.

#7 4 years ago

Does anyone know if some how it's possible to blow an opto? Just seems strange that a new opto was working one minute and then just dies? I reflowed the solder just to make sure.

#8 4 years ago

I knoiw this might not be the issue, but do you have LEDs around the optos? I thought I read in another thread where the LEDs could interfere with the optos by blinding them. Try again without any lights in the area of the optos.

#9 4 years ago

No LED’s ( I know, it’s a sin).

#10 4 years ago

Making progress. I had a chance to swap my opto's and A-15646 with a friends game and found that the A-15646 seems to be bad. Now to figure out if it can be fixed or go with the available replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bsd-long-opto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.