(Topic ID: 28522)

Tech: Breakshot - Game works, but DMD and PF Lamps are out...

By pmWolf

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pmWolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just got the game, and set it up. All worked fine.

I go and do something else, and when I turn around, the DMD is completely out, as are all playfield lamps.

Game still plays fine...flashers, solenoids, sounds, GI and switches are all okay. Nothing on DMD, and no insert lamps.

All fuses test fine.

Have no idea where to check next. Not overly familiar with Capcom's, and have no idea what would kill the DMD display AND the playfield insert lamps.

Suggestions?
Pete

#2 7 years ago

All fuses test fine - does this mean you pulled them and checked with a meter ?

If all good I'd turn the game off and reseat power supply board connectors and then try again.

If still no go, then get the manual out and check voltage outputs of the power supply board and see if you lost any.

LTG

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

All fuses test fine - does this mean you pulled them and checked with a meter ?
If all good I'd turn the game off and reseat power supply board connectors and then try again.
If still no go, then get the manual out and check voltage outputs of the power supply board and see if you lost any.
LTG

Yup, I pulled all fuses out and tested them with a meter. They are all okay.

I've done quite a bit of connector reseating, but will try again and focus on the power supply.

Pete

#4 7 years ago

Has anybody had this happen before, or am I the first one in Capcom History?

#5 7 years ago

Have a look at the back of the board with the big caps, notorious for failed solder joints.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Have a look at the back of the board with the big caps, notorious for failed solder joints.

Are you talking about the one that is mounted on the backside of the DMD panel?

Pete

#7 7 years ago

Okay...it is a Capcom "Classic" boardset....so it doesn't have a seperate power board (like my Pinball Magic).

I did take out the power driver board....no cracked or dry solder joints anywhere. I did reflow some points on the big caps and on some connectors, but it didn't make any difference.

There appears to be no voltage getting out to the DMD. Still not sure how the playfield lamps are tied in to that mess.

(Also, since ALL lamps are board-controlled, why does the GI still work?)

Have no idea what to check/replace from here.

Pete

#8 7 years ago

Some more notes:

I pulled and checked all fuses...and I checked for cracked solder joints on the Power/Driver board. I'm just not getting any voltage from the P/D board to the Display Power Board.

Second side note: I tested that Display Power Board in my Pinball Magic, and it worked fine). I can't test the P/D board in the Pinball Magic because it is a different boardset.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Phoenix, AZ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.95
$ 30.00
Pinball Machine
Habos Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside