(Topic ID: 111791)

TECH: Black Hole Lower PF Ball Hangups

By pinster68

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have an issue where sometimes (usually during a great game) a ball on the lower playfield of Black Hole drains, but doesn't make it past the first solenoid-driven gate to the up-kicker, and then the game just waits ... no ball search, and I'm stuck until I either power cycle the game, or manually move the ball out.

I've cleaned and adjusted the pathway and the gate mech, and leveled the pin repeatedly, but to no avail.

I recall skimming past a post some time back on this issue, and recall there being some guidance, but may have been on the go and didn't bookmark it.

Any assistance appreciated.

Brian

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I have an issue where sometimes (usually during a great game) a ball on the lower playfield of Black Hole drains, but doesn't make it past the first solenoid-driven gate to the up-kicker, and then the game just waits ... no ball search, and I'm stuck until I either power cycle the game, or manually move the ball out.
I've cleaned and adjusted the pathway and the gate mech, and leveled the pin repeatedly, but to no avail.
I recall skimming past a post some time back on this issue, and recall there being some guidance, but may have been on the go and didn't bookmark it.
Any assistance appreciated.
Brian

Sounds like the switch TO the lower PF works, and you are ALWAYS allowed to use the lower flippers.
This used to work fine 100% of the time, but now it doesn't?
Sounds like it's an intermittent problem?
Often intermittent = vibration = wires or connections. Any chance there's a broken/loose wire hiding in the mix?

I had this issue, but for me it was the "gate wire" not being the right length iirc. I had to get an original one, and I asked Cliffy to build me a new one from a length of wire, using an original as his guide. Of course he made the new a perfect copy. I had no problems after that. The issue was the little part that sticks out to push the ball, wasn't getting enough wire on the ball to move it. When I moved it in and out enough times, it became clear to me. I also had two Black Holes in the garage at the time, so I could compare and contrast -- that always makes diagnostics quicker.

I presume in your case, this is a situation where things all worked FINE before this issue, so you likely have the correct length of wire in there, yeah?

I resolved all of this visually by experimentation with the top PF up vertical, and starting a game by hand, by manipulating the start switches with a game "on" with no balls in the machine...

-mof

#3 9 years ago

I've had this issue since purchase ~2 years ago.

I think it's mechanical, e.g., the gate solenoid trips to clear the path so the ball drops down to the "VUK", but the ball sometimes kicks back up the lane and gravity doesn't take hold in time to clear the solenoid gate, so the ball is trapped again. Since there doesn't appear to be a ball search on BH I'm a little stumped.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I've had this issue since purchase ~2 years ago.
I think it's mechanical, e.g., the gate solenoid trips to clear the path so the ball drops down to the "VUK", but the ball sometimes kicks back up the lane and gravity doesn't take hold in time to clear the solenoid gate, so the ball is trapped again. Since there doesn't appear to be a ball search on BH I'm a little stumped.

"the ball sometimes kicks back up the lane and gravity doesn't take hold in time to clear the solenoid gate"

Hmm...
Don't get what you mean there. perhaps take a few photos and mark 'em up to show the steps that are happening. Ideally, snap a vid.

-mof

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, a little hard to explain. Might have to tuck my GoPro in down there to capture the behavior.

1 month later
#6 9 years ago

I have this same issue. Has anyone come up with a mod to make this more reliable? Sometimes it seems like the wire on my machine gets stuck. Nothing more frustrating then having this happen during multiball.

2 years later
#7 7 years ago

Bringing this thread back from the dead....

I'm having the -exact- issue with my BH, any ideas or suggestions that might happen since the last time this thread was bumped?

Thanks!

~ja

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Bringing this thread back from the dead....
I'm having the -exact- issue with my BH, any ideas or suggestions that might happen since the last time this thread was bumped?
Thanks!
~ja

Still happens with mine, but less so after finagling with the rollover switch and gate. Still a real nuisance when it happens.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I have an issue where sometimes (usually during a great game) a ball on the lower playfield of Black Hole drains, but doesn't make it past the first solenoid-driven gate to the up-kicker, and then the game just waits ...

Mine had the same problem. In my case the ball was sometimes getting caught on the first drain gate switch because the switch leaf tension was a bit too high. i.e. I could manually place the ball just before the switch wireform, then let go of the ball and the ball would sometimes get caught sitting on the switch wireform just before actually reaching the first gate release.

Once I softened the switch enough so the ball always rolled over it no matter how little momentum the ball had, the issues of the ball getting caught at the first drain gate release disappeared.

Of course once softening the switch you still need to make sure the switch is making decent contact when the ball is sitting at the gate release in order for the first release solenoid to activate.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Mine had the same problem. In my case the ball was sometimes....

In my case I believe is a matter of pitch, I took out the LPF and I noticed a slight warp on it, tonight I going to align the machine and play with the pitch, your switch suggestion is also a good idea.

Thanks to all for your input!

~ja

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-black-hole-lower-pf-ball-hangups and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.