By Celiac502

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 11 years ago

Got this game about 3 weeks ago and the bell has never worked. I grounded out the coul and it fired and I how the coil works.
There isn't anything in the manual about it aside from turning it on or off, it also does not work in the coil test mode. Any help is awesome

#2 11 years ago

sounds like you got a bad transistor pal. im sure you have already checked all connections and voltages, so its prob a 102 transistor

#3 11 years ago

Check the guides I emailed you about testing the associated transistor. You did get my email w the guides, correct?

#4 11 years ago

Hey Black and Dark,
Thanks for the interest in helping me. I did get the manuals but the first one was sys11 and the other 2 were sys 3-7. I didn't see anything about the bells circuit, I can't find any info on the bells circuit anywhere.
I did buzz out and made sure it was going to the backbox. I saw that the red wires that connect to one side of the bell buzz out on every red wire on every connection with red wires in the back box so I assume that's good. Then the other side of the bell is a brown wire and it goes to a connector j2 I believe, it also buzzed good. The j2 is on the CPU board. The weird thing is this is the second CPU board I have tried and the bell didn't work on either board. I know it could happen that both boards have a bad transistor but it sounds weird.
Also I'm not sure that the circuit runs to the CPU board.
I did read somewhere that another guys bell was stuck on and he found he had a fried transistor so your guys theory sounds right on the money but I think my ignorance isn't letting me find it.
When I get on my lunch today I'm going to find exactly where the transistor is.
Sorry for typos, I'm using my phone.
Thanks again for your help guys.

#5 11 years ago

My bad. I must've clicked on the two wrong guides.. I'll email the other two system 11 guides Monday. I'm in Vegas for the weekend and not at my computer.

#6 11 years ago

Any snipped wires? My taxi bell had a cut wire.

#7 11 years ago

Naw I wish it was that easy, I'll check the transistor that you all talk about when I get home.

#8 11 years ago

Read through this...especially my second post about the striker switch. If that's not adjusted correctly it won't work.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jackpot-but-no-bell

#9 11 years ago

mine didn't work because the striker switch was out of adjustment. It was a HUGE pain to get right.

That solenoid fires in coil test mode. Run the test and keep a close eye on that one when it comes up. it might be firing. If it is, just fiddle with that leaf switch.

#10 11 years ago

The leaf switch on mine was broken or melted off. A new switch solved the problem.

#11 11 years ago

In the pic it looks like the contacts are not touching, I know in mine they are pressed together, there are 3 blades the 2 with the contacts and one at the very front that's thin, I will also try fulling with it during its 2 second test lol.

#12 11 years ago

That was my issue - I was used to normally open switches this one needs to be closed. That did the trick for me.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Celiac502:

I will also try fulling with it during its 2 second test lol.

if you set it to manual instead of auto in coil test, it will repeat that test over and over, you can troubleshoot it that way.

#14 11 years ago

Well transistor does not have a short. What should a n14003 diode read with a dmm?

#15 11 years ago

diode should read .5 to .7V on diode setting one way, and open circuit the other way (DMM on diode setting).

#16 11 years ago

I knew who's thread this was by the titled. Get it fixed. I want to come play it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bell-in-taxi-does-not-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.