image.jpg
image.jpg
image-690.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I installed a shaker motor and a few leds in the game this morning. Now the joker reveal no longer spins. There is still power to the motor and the mechanism twitches. I am stumped on what may be wrong. This is one of those "It worked just last night" things.

Again, it has power. It just doesn't rotate.

#2 9 years ago

Pictures... The relay clicks so it seems to be working too. All the wire connections look fine.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-750.jpgimage-750.jpg image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg
#3 9 years ago

I am thinking I may just need to redo the solder joints on the motor. Thoughts?

#4 9 years ago

I unhooked the shaker = no change.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks stern

image.jpgimage.jpg
#6 9 years ago

Does it work in test menu?

#7 9 years ago

First try making sure connections are solidly in place coming from device all the way to back box. Easy to jar something lose when working on stuff. Id reseat the connections especially the one on device to make sure all connections are sound.

#8 9 years ago

I think this opto is broken. The motor works fine when nothing is connected to it.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#9 9 years ago

No joker = motor works great.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#10 9 years ago

Confirmed switch 52 is broken. That is the opto at the front of the joker.

#11 9 years ago

Five hours later. Still stumped. Still working. I think that opto isn't used in the game. Can anyone with BDk confirm?

#12 9 years ago

This is going to take a real deal tech to fix. I cannot for the life of me figure out the mechanics here. And the game takes a ton of muscle to take apart and put back. I am killing my pliers.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I think that opto isn't used in the game.

The Joker motor test listed in the manual (game specific tests) says it tests switches 50, 51 and 52. Are you using that test? Have you tested the optos under the board? The micro switch on top? If you get no response from switch 52, have you tried cleaning it?

#14 9 years ago

I just figured out switch 52 is used in the game and is definately broken. I can tell because half of the opto is missing. I figure that must be the issue. The secondary issue is I have no clue how to put the thing back together. The Manual offers zero help in regards to how the bottom part goes in, which way it should face and how the top part attaches and which way it faces.

I am attaching a picture on how I am setting in the bottom. I am using the spring in the hole that it seems to fit best in. The joker face part (aka bottom, aka part that does NOT have the joker toy) Starts by facing front towards player and only rotates a half turn backwards.

The relay works but I am guessing switch 52 tells the relay to go the other direction. Without it I figure it knows no better.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#15 9 years ago

This hopefully is the problem. It is definately broken.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#16 9 years ago

I received the new opto board and it works but I still can't get the Joker assembly to function correctly. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to put it together! The manual isn't helping at all.

What is the resting position of the bottom peice? And does that little spring wrapped up in there do anything?

image-690.jpgimage-690.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
#17 9 years ago

And is there a better way to remove this part?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#18 9 years ago

I have it mostly working now. I just can't figure out where the spring connects to the bottom half. The obvious point of contact creates too much tension and the mech can't turn. I currently have the spring disconnected and the points cycle okay but what you see up top isn't quite right. This is very confusing.

2 weeks later
#19 9 years ago

If anyone knows how the joker thing fits together please PM me. After two weeks of working on this I am completely stumped. I have left a message at stern but they seem to be closed when I am home.

#20 9 years ago

Stumped. And yes all of the electronics are working. I just don't know how to put it together.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#21 9 years ago

So much for that.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#22 9 years ago

stack15- i did this a few months ago and was stumped on putting the joker back together for a few days... the issue is the setting where the spring is but I don't own the pin any longer and I know I couldn't explain how to do it without looking at it again... manual sucks with this part

#23 9 years ago

channel locks is the only way i found to remove that center piece also and it sucks... get this thing back together and never take it apart again lol

#24 9 years ago

Thanks. I set it up without the spring connected a few of the maybe 30 times I have disassembled and reassembled. It's obvious that the spring connects to the bottom piece. I currently have it where it causes the least amount of torque. But it simply won't hold the joker picture to the rear when the joker figure is facing forward (aka the resting position when you power the game up). The turning to where you see the city doesn't move correctly either (the normal position during game play).

My current question = how important is the roof piece? Does it do something to help it all stay together? I broke mine and need to order a new one ($31.99 with shipping... doh).

#25 9 years ago

Yeah I saw that .... The only thing I can remember is I had to turn it and set the spring the opposite way I thought it was... I am not sure about the top plate but it shouldn't be necessary for it to operate

#26 9 years ago

This sucks. I think I want my stern IJ back. Ha

image.jpgimage.jpg
#27 9 years ago

I am having a very difficult time explaining this. There seems to be only one way to get the bottom peice to fit. The spring goes in the round hole and the peice rotates 180 degrees between the posts with the forward position triggering switch 52 (above the PF opto that I replaced). Then the upper part (with the toy) screws in on top of that.

It seems very simple but it simply doesn't work correctly when put together that way. Ideas?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-14.jpgimage-14.jpg image-216.jpgimage-216.jpg image-24.jpgimage-24.jpg
#28 9 years ago

Nailed it!! You were right. You have to half reverse turn the thing before putting the spring in. Thank you for the help!

#29 9 years ago

lol awesome.... i literally sat there and starred at it and it just hit me how to fix it... i am glad we (more you) got it fixed

#30 9 years ago

It's down again. I think the parts are just worn out from all of the twisting and turning. It worked flawlessly for about ten games. I am just going to disable the motor. I have spent probably 20 hours on this over two weeks. It isn't worth the time.

#31 9 years ago

If anyone is ever in Macon and knows how to fix this... Let me know.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#32 9 years ago

if you set the yes to no , does this make a difference?

#33 9 years ago

That's how you turn it off and forget it exists. Something seems to have changed and the spring is too tight now. The motor works and all three optos work. It is a PAIN to take apart... a slew of PULLING and sooner or later I'm going to break something important.

I had it working last night. Now it won't turn to 52... too much pull back from the bottom piece. The cosco version doesn't have the joker reveal... I just set mine to have the Joker foward the full time. It has zero effect on gameplay and seems to not matter for scoring either. It is just kind of cool when you are Joker hunting. It would be cool if it would work, but it seems that maybe my parts are just worn out? It's not worth $200-$300 for a total replacement and another X hours of work.

That's the conclusion I arrived at. The game is still fun.

7 years later
#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Nailed it!! You were right. You have to half reverse turn the thing before putting the spring in. Thank you for the help!

I have this piece of shit mechanism torn apart right now, such an annoying piece to disassemble and fix for a totally disappointing reveal of a plastic figure.

Am I reading this right, you basically have to "preload" the spring by a half turn before it hooks on to the top plate?

1 month later
#35 1 year ago

Back to work on this piece of shit, reading through all the posts here but still unclear on a few things.

Does anyone know 100% that the spring does hook into this hole? My game has zero wear in this hole, does not seem as though it's been in that position before. Fist pic.

What is the function of this tab? Tons of wear on it but I really don't think the spring hooks onto this tab. It definitely does not make contact with the switch. Second pic.

Thanks!

20230207_204553AR (resized).jpg20230207_204553AR (resized).jpg20230207_204553ARR (resized).jpg20230207_204553ARR (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bdk-joker-reveal-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.