6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    IMG_4139 (resized).PNG

#1 6 years ago

Hello All

Working on a Kiss Bally

Worked Perfect

Moved from my buddy to my place

Not no lamps on either driver work

Test Point 1 is 44vdc - should be in the 6vdc range

Any ideas why it would be so high ?

No controlled lamps work right now

If I play some I get a Super Bright flicker here and there

Let me know what to look for on this game I assume in the J3 connector on PSU Transformer

Thank you

#2 6 years ago

I will add that I did replace the 3 connectors on the board as the J1 and J2 were burnt and the pins on the board

Also the headers on J3 but left connector alone as it was not burnt at all

So really I would assume in did something wrong and now I messed up the Voltage to feature lamps

Help me

#3 6 years ago

My initial thoughts are that one of two things has happened ~ either the transformer itself is going south and generating the wrong voltage (rarely happens) or a wire on the rectifier board is shorting out somewhere. Remove the rectifier and have a look at the back to ensure that all the solders are intact. The wires from the transformer to rectifier get pretty brittle and moving the game could have caused a short of some kind.

Were J1 and J2 burnt BEFORE your problem or AFTER ?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Hello All
    Working on a Kiss Bally
    Worked Perfect
    Moved from my buddy to my place
    Not no lamps on either driver work
    Test Point 1 is 44vdc - should be in the 6vdc range
    Any ideas why it would be so high ?
    No controlled lamps work right now
    If I play some I get a Super Bright flicker here and there
    Let me know what to look for on this game I assume in the J3 connector on PSU Transformer
    Thank you

double check your work. sounds like your solenoid voltage is on the feature lamps. The bright flickers... lamps getting burned out?

the bally wiring diagram page has color codes. You can use that and the schematic page to check the pin outs of the rectifier plugs.

#5 6 years ago

Triple check your work. Look for a wire out of place or a connector shifted over one pin (missing keying plug in housing).

Did you have to behead the game for the move?

#6 6 years ago

And if you did indeed put +43VDC solenoid power to the controlled lights, expect to have a ton of burned out light bulbs, and some shorted or open SCRs on the lamp driver board.

I encountered one game just like this where someone had put the fuses back in in-between fuse holders! Thereby feeding 43V to the feature lamps. And did some other damage too.

#8 6 years ago

Thank you I will double check this all again

Yes I had to remove the head

And I took pictures of my work before and after

But I'll check again

Worst case I'll order a new board

This one has tons of burnt pads and jumpers etc

Thank you all

IMG_4139 (resized).PNGIMG_4139 (resized).PNG

#9 6 years ago

If staying with bottom mounted bridge rectifiers then you should replace both of them at the same time with the same type - even if one of them is still good. The tops MUST be flush with each other. The new bridges are slightly thicker, this will interfere with the shorter bridge rectifier in making contact with the heat sink.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-power-supply-high and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.