(Topic ID: 177475)

Tech: Bally High Flyer Search Disc

By robertmedl

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a 1977 Bally High Flyer (https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/high_flyer/). It is a six-card machine.

There are 3 search units in this game -- one each for cards 1/2, cards 3/4, and cards 5/6.
-- The search unit for cards 1/2 is on the control unit in the cabinet back.
-- The search units for cards 3/4 and cards 5/6 are on both on a dedicated motor at the top of the back door. The search unit for cards 3/4 is nearest the motor; the search disc for cards 5/6 is farthest from the motor. I am pointing to the search unit for cards 3/4 in this photo: http://tinyurl.com/gmxqvdr

The way it should operate is that after shooting 4 or 5 balls, the player presses the C button on the footrail to search for winners. The 3 search units should then each cycle in series looking for winners on each card in succession, stop when a winner is found allowing the player to either play for double using the D footrail button or collect a regular win using the R button, pay off the win (paying either 0, a regular win, or double the win), and then move on to finding a winner on the next card. After the search unit for card 1/2 completes a cycle, it should lock into its index position, and start the search unit cycling for cards 3/4 as it looks for winners, etc. Similarly, when the search unit for card 3/4 completes a cycle, it should lock into its index position, and start the search unit cycling for cards 5/6 as it looks for winners, etc. In this manner, all cards are search for winners and any winners are paid according to the player's choices of taking a regular win or trying for double or nothing.

My issue is that search disc for cards 3/4 will not lock into its index position. It skips right past as the coil armature attempts to engage the disc. In fact, I noted the coil bracket was bent when I got into disassembling the unit.
-- I have completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed all the search discs and associated clutch washers, etc.
-- I have made several adjustments to the coil position on the cards 3/4 search unit using the screws on the bottom of the coil bracket in an attempt to get the coil armature to better align with its associated notch in the bakelite disc.
-- I replaced the coil bracket for the coil associated with the card 3/4 search unit.
-- I believe that the notch on the bakelite disc on search unit for cards 3/4 has become deformed from all of the torque that is placed on that unit, and from general use.

Here is a photo of the search disc for cards 5/6. The coil armature is in the notch, so it is a little tough to see. But the notch is angular and narrow. http://tinyurl.com/hs36xop

Here is a photo of the search disc for cards 3/4. Note the notch is rounded and wide. http://tinyurl.com/zrw2l4v

Suggestions? At this point, I think I'd like to replace the piece with the bakelite notch.

#2 7 years ago

If it will not stop reliably due to the rounding, your only option is to replace the bakelite disc or fabricate some kinda thing to make it the proper shape.

I think Phil H has a write-up on cdyn.com about mixer cams and fixing them. Similar process needed. You can probably cut one out of metal with a laser cutter.... Just a thought.

#3 7 years ago

Bill, Give me a call I will walk you through it. very easy fix

#4 7 years ago

Would love to know what it is! Please post here once you have it going.

#5 7 years ago

I purchased a replacement bakelite disc and will try that.

It was also suggested that I could just dremel the existing disc to square up and deepen the notch.

Butch -- If you want to PM me your phone number, I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks all. Will update thread with results when I have them.

1 week later
#6 7 years ago
Quoted from robertmedl:

I purchased a replacement bakelite disc and will try that.

This worked. Swapped in an exact replacement from another High Flyer. Thanks to Jim Holder for the part!

Quoted from robertmedl:

It was also suggested that I could just dremel the existing disc to square up and deepen the notch.

I spoke with Mike Glauda on the phone who described a fix. I don't recall all of the steps. While it may be an easy fix for him (30+ years of experience), it would not have been for me. Mike mentioned that he may make a video of how he would fix it; if so, perhaps he'll post it here.

#7 7 years ago

I spoke with Mike as well and he helped me understand that fix.

You have to cut out a new notch in the same area that it should stop normally, but higher up in the bakelite. So measure and mark, then cut.

Next you have to modify the coil bracket to slide the coil higher to catch in the notch.

Your fix will work for the rest of time, though!

Glad you got it working!

#8 7 years ago

I'll try and make a video for you today. Sorry guys just got of Hershey Hospital yesterday.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from BingoButch:

I'll try and make a video for you today. Sorry guys just got of Hershey Hospital yesterday.

********** Best Wishes........ Get well *********
I almost went there several weeks ago myself; but decided to go to the local hospital Up on the Hill.
It's always nice to get home again.
John

#10 7 years ago

Phil Hooper offered his thoughts at the bottom of this write-up:
http://wiki.cdyn.com/wiki/index.php/Cams_Not_Indexing_(Stopping)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-high-flyer-search-disc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.