Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

I'm working on Fathom. there are several star roll over switches on this game. There are two that don't want to trigger during game play when the ball rolls over.
One is at the upper right ball lock and the other is at the middle right ball lock. In switch test manually they trigger fine. However, during game play I can press down
on the switches and they do nothing. Could this be the capacitors across the leaf switches? Anyone have this happen where the star roll overs aren't scoring? I
cleaned both switch stacks thoroughly so I know that's not the problem.

#2 4 months ago

If they register during test you would think it's just an adjustment issue.

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from Buzz:

If they register during test you would think it's just an adjustment issue.

That's what I thought Buzz. But they are gapped so well and the switches were cleaned with 2000 grit sand paper. I'm starting to wonder if they are supposed to
score or not. I would think so. Could a capacitor across the leaf switches be an issue? Probably not if I can get them to trigger in switch test. I'm stumped

#4 4 months ago

The caps across the switches in Bally games often need replacing. If it has caps on it then I would replace them. Search around here for the correct ones. The caps help the computer pick up a quick hit. If they register when you manually activate it, but when a ball quickly goes over it and it doesn't work, I would replace the cap.

These are what I got
ebay.com link » 100 Pcs 047uf 50v 20 Z5u Axial Ceramic Mlcc Capacitors Sa055e473maa Avx

Recommended from this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-switch-capacitorolder-bally-pins

#5 4 months ago

If you sanded too much then maybe it's the contacts. Switch test opens or closes signal from the board.

#6 4 months ago

You could manually jumper to prove bad contacts

#7 4 months ago

I think it's the capacitors on the switches. I'll have to change them tomorrow and will report back.

#8 4 months ago

I'm pretty certain that some of the rollovers only score points when in/out of multiball. Have you tried playing around with it with the glass off to see if they score at different times during the game?

#9 4 months ago

No, but I'll try that as well. thanks thrillhouse

#10 4 months ago

Hard to believe but, 2K sand paper takes the plating off the contact. Only clean with non abrasives.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Hard to believe but, 2K sand paper takes the plating off the contact. Only clean with non abrasives.

I've used it for years. It's very light on the contacts and 2-3 swipes is enough.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

there are several star roll over switches on this game. There are two that don't want to trigger during game play when the ball rolls over.
One is at the upper right ball lock and the other is at the middle right ball lock.

Thrillhouse is on the right track, those two star rollover switches only score when you've got a ball locked in the adjacent saucer. When there's no ball in the adjacent saucer, those respective switches don't score. It's a way to reward score when making the shot but already have a ball locked.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside