Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EEE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am trying to make a minor modification to a Bally AS-2518-51 sound board for my Frontier "pin2k minus 20" project so that it can work in a Playboy, which uses an AS-2518-32. I would like to either modify the wiring harness or make a jumper on the -51 board to make this work.

In reviewing the sound board schematics for the two machines on IPDB, the 15 header pins (J1) on both boards have virtually the identical connections to/from other boards in the backbox. There is one exception that I am unclear on how to work around.

On the -51 board, pin 10 connects to A2J3-8 (transformer/bridge rectifier board) which is labeled as (Un?)-Reg +5. On the -32 board it is labeled as Not Used. One other onward connection off of the -51 board, pin 10 is A3J3-12 (solenoid driver board).

On the other wiring harness with the -32 board configuration, there is a connection from A2J3-8 to A3J3-12, but neither go to the sound board.

Can anyone provide some insight about what is the best course, or am I missing something completely?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

I use a black pyramid to test every sound board. The connectors are all similar except for supply voltages. Earliest sound board uses 43v to power the amps, later sound boards use 12v for amps. Earliest sound board uses the 5v line from the driver board regulator. Later sound boards regulates their own 5v.

I use alligator clips if I need GI for the squawk and talk board or +43v for the early boards. Crimp in a new wire for something permanent.

That being said if you use a different sound board than what the mpu software normally drives, you will end up with junk noises that don't make sense. It would take some serious reverse engineering of either the mpu software or the decoding of the sound inputs to use a different sound board.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks barakandl.

Do you foresee any problems related to running a wire, and leaving it in place within the harness, from the Solenoid Driver Board pin 12 (A3J3-12) to the sound board J1-10?

I ask as I am not certain if there could be any negative affects of running that wire when the -32 board is installed. For the -32, pin 10 is not used.

#4 9 years ago

Pin 10 is 12v unregulated or not connected. You can safely add a permanent 12v line.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Pin 10 is 12v unregulated or not connected. You can safely add a permanent 12v line.

Thanks for the technical advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 199.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-early-ss-sound-board-jumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.