(Topic ID: 51876)

TECH: Bally Atlantis burning smell... power board?

By bayoubilly70

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by smersh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi:

I have a 1989 Bally/Midway that plays 100% fine, but there is a faint plastic burning smell that seems to come from the backbox. As good as my nose is, I cannot detect exactly where its coming from... but clearly something is wrong.

I did notice that on the A080-91785-D000 power board, the really big heat sink that houses the 78H05C regulator is very hot. Hotter than I *think* it should be... is this a clue?

TIA for the help.

- Bill

#2 10 years ago

replaces de bridge rectifiers ant the big elcos on your driverboard
http://www.flipperwinkel.nl/tech/wpcelkos/index.html see the pictures its in dutch

GRT
TV

#3 10 years ago

I had that smell on my Atlantis but it turned out to be the transformer. Now Im looking for one. You got a spare.

#4 10 years ago

Hmmm. Transformers rarely fail and your game is working 100% so I wouldn't suspect that. Not sure what "very hot" means but I think some components can get very warm or hot, but very hot, like you cannot touch it for even a second is probably not good. But again, it's working 100%. If there is a knocker in the back box, it's coil may be overheating due to being locked on. Is there a buzzing associated with the smell? Also, sometimes the location of an odor can be deceiving. Sounds more like a coil somewhere getting ready to fry.

#5 10 years ago

I had the burning and it was a transformer in mine as well. Transformers in this era of Bally is VERY common. Unfortunately the transformer for Atlantis is Game Specific. Best way to tell is unplug all 3 plugs going out from the transformer and turn it on. If it's burning it's that. plus your 8A fuse will blow.

#6 10 years ago

I also understand that displays are a issue in a Atlantis.

Not to stray away from bayoubilly. It could be a number of things. Check voltages and pin connectors. visually check everything. But take a look at that transformer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-atlantis-burning-smell-power-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.