Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nick_k
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a recently purchased Bad Cats machine. It was working fine and then one day the doghouse kicker and the five and three drop targets quit resetting. The targets and the doghouse register when hit but the solenoids to kick the ball and reset the targets don't work. Can anyone help me trouble-shoot this problem?

1 week later
#2 10 years ago

The manual shows these three coils are fed power via a YEL-VIO wire. My guess is the wire broke at the beginning of the daisy-chain. Inspect each coil under the playfield and resolder that wire if necessary. If that doesn't pan out, you'll have to work backwards to the the Backbox Interconnect Board, checking for the YEL-VIO wire connections and see if you need to reflow the solder joints for those specific headers. Same goes for the Aux Power Board as you continue to work backwards.

#3 10 years ago

Meow Meow Meow MEEEOOOWWWW

#4 10 years ago

Check the fuses (with a meter out of the machine) that are on that aux board.
If one is bad, need to see if one of those coils has a black wrapper. If so, it is burnt and likely have a bad transistor with it.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I've checked the YEL-VIO connections at the three coils and they all appear to be in good shape. I also looked at the fuses. It appears that fuse F4 is used for the YEL-VIO wires. I pulled the F4 fuse and it looks different that the other fuses. It has a coiled copper colored wire on one half and a single silver wire on the other half and they seem to be connected in the middle of the fuse by a glob of solder. I don't have a meter to check the fuse, so is there any other way to see if the fuse is bad or not?

#6 10 years ago

If you're going to work on pinball machines, it's worth buying a meter, and some spare fuses to have handy.

Fuse F4 is also tied to the flippers, and the slingshots ... are they working okay? If they are, the problem isn't the fuse.

Bill

5 years later
#7 4 years ago

ufopinball know it has been a while but my Bad Cats just started acting up in a similar manner. Looks like you had some suggestions to check the coils but all of mine are working in the diagnostic test. When I play, the 3 bank, 5 bank, trash can kickout, and vary target are not registering. There is a five pin connector for the vary target under the pf and mine was hacked up (soldered wires and electrical tape holding it in place). The wires going to that connector are common in the problems that are not registering. Plan to repin that connector once I have the right connector. Is it possible that those problems are happening because that one connector is not connected?

#8 4 years ago

Anybody have input on this? Will be replacing that connector soon but I'm new to System 11s. Appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

5 months later
#9 4 years ago

Always fix what you see wrong or burnt and go from there. You might be worried for nothing.

5 months later
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Always fix what you see wrong or burnt and go from there. You might be worried for nothing.

Been a while and thought I'd post this for anybody else having issues. Had a broken trace on the 5V and had to jump it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bad-cats-problem-with-doghouse-kicker-and-drop-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.