Curious if anyone has had this issue with your Baby Pac-Man.
Reset/Crash During Gameplay:
1.During gameplay, game randomly attempts and fails to reset or reboot another words it simply locks up. If it locks up while playing pinball, flippers and solenoids still work. The screen freezes for a second, wipes with colors then ends with sometimes a black screen or a frozen screen. If music was playing at the time, it continues to loop. Game is no longer playable during this time.
2. If player "never goes down to pinball" the game never crashes and plays as normal.
3. If player goes down to pinball at least once and exits, eventually the game will crash while in video mode.
4. If player is playing pinball, game can also crash while playing. However higher chance it will crash after you return to video mode.
5. The game can crash after 10+ aggressive pinball games or just 1 game. Appears to be totally random.
6. Attempted to play dozens of games by letting the auto plunger hit the ball till it lands on a switch. After many games letting the ball drain, the game finally crashed. During this time the only solenoid that fired was the ball plunger kicker in the out hole.
7. Game never resets during attract mode. Only resets during gameplay. As mentioned above, only after player as played pinball at least once.
8. After the crash, I can hold the reset button on the MPU or power cycle the game and get back to playing till another random crash happens.
What was troubleshooted and already done to machine:
1. Swapped and tested between two (reproduction MPU & original)
2. Swapped and tested between (reproduction lamp/solenoid driver board and original)
3. Vidiot board has all new chips, roms, 40pins IC etc. As well heat sinks and cabinet fan. Nothing is hot to the touch during game lock ups.
4. I get the correct 10 blinks on Vidiot.
5. I get all correct numbers/values in diagnostics for communication to MPU.
6. Power supply board brand new reproduction
7. No blown fuses
8. Game uses LED's
9. Game uses an LCD screen
10. Tilt switch(s) all disconnected
1. Since the game only crashes during pinball. We assume solenoid voltage is leaking into lamp voltage or switch matrix and causing a reset?
2. How would I track down a leakage on a solenoid if that is the case? Could a diode on the solenoid do this?
3. The leakage may be coming from the out hole solenoid since game crashed with only that one firing. For testing purposes, would detaching that solenoid completely be an option? Will play with glass off and just physically pick the ball from the out hole and try playing till it crashes. If it never crashes, can assume that is the source of the problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.