• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211014_084235 (resized).jpg
20211013_155917 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I have a problem with my (Bally) Attack From Mars machine. I tested and switched a lot of parts and still can't solve it..
so I hope some experienced techs still have some ideas because I'm losing my confidence / patience..

In the past I had shorted coil power onto the switch matrix
The game now has a pinled cpu board and aftermarket security rom from someone in France installed.
Because of all these non-original parts I start to doubt everything.
Rom version is 1.13B in case it would matter (yes I doubt everything now).

The problem is that the scoop coil does not always work. Balls get stuck in the scoop.
You hear the coil buzzing, but the coil doesn't seem to have enough power to kick out the pinball.

What I did:
1. replace the coil, check whole mechanism (plunger, coil sleeve, ..)
This did not solve the issue. Mechanism looks ok, plunger is ok (not broken,..), return spring is ok, coil sleeve ok, ..
Issue remained, sometimes it kicks, sometimes it doesn't.

I noticed (then and now) that the isssue happens more when the playfield is in the down position than when it is up.
When I raise the playfield to look at the mechanism, the coil can fire 10 times correct in the coil test, I lower the playfield back in the cabinet and it just buzzes..

Also during gameplay when the ball is stuck in the scoop, it often comes out during a ball search (when the martians are active).
For a while it worked better if the drop target bank was up - I noticed that during play when the bank was up the scoop would kick out well, when it was down the scoop more often had the issue, and then during ball search when the target bank moves up it would kick out the ball.
But this is still random - today it just fails often, and target bank doesn't seem to make a difference.. I can't always replicate the issue.

That made me think there was a bad connection somewhere.
2. There's a connector between the coil and wiring loom. Replaced this - no solution.
3. Replaced the wires between the coil and the connector - no solution.
4. Noticed other coils did not seem to have the issue, they all work correct, so I suspected a cable broken in the wire that drives it - purple yellow if I remember correct.
I replace this completely from the coil until the idc connector in the backbox - no solution.
5. Took out the driver board, noticed that the transistors for this specific coil had been replaced in the past.
Replaced the Tip102 and Tip36C transistors. - no solution.
6. Replace the driverboard with the driverboard out of another machine - no solution.
7. replaced the pinled cpu with an original bally cpu out of another machine (I did not have to switch the asic so that can now als be ruled out as cause) - no solution.
8. replaced the flatcable between cpu and driverboard - no solution.

So.. now I'm really stuck.
I replaced everything from the coil until the cpu. Issue remains.
The only part left is the red wire (power to the coil) but that's 2 wires, goes to other coils, and as no other coils on the machine seem to have the issue I don't suspect this.

As raising the playfield helps solve the problem - my machine has a larger subwoofer in the cabinet. It has a bigger magnet but it's still a few inches away from the coil, I would find it weird that this has influence ? Could it ??

Any ideas what can cause this problem or what to test / replace next ?

#2 2 years ago

Larger speaker

20211013_155917 (resized).jpg20211013_155917 (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago

If the coil stop has been pounded down too much, the plunger might not be high enough, and the coil might have trouble grabbing the plunger.

As a quick test, try adding something to the top of the coil stop to add some thickness/height, then see how reliably the coil fires.

#4 2 years ago

It is weird it works when the playfield is up. Is it fighting gravity in the down position and not the up?

You might also try removing the sub-woofer and trying it in the down position to eliminate that as a source of the problem.

Is this the central scoop or the one to the right of the target bank (martians attack). I can check the voltage during firing on mine and you can check if yours is the same. That would indicate an electrical problem.

#5 2 years ago

ForceFlow that was it, thank you so much!

I was searching all this time for an electronical problem while it was a mechanical one..

The rubber part at the bottom was missing.
Put another in and now the sol scoop kicks out correct !

20211014_084235 (resized).jpg20211014_084235 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.50
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-afm-intermittent-scoop-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.