(Topic ID: 70730)

Tech: Adjusting the dreaded GTB S switch

By spclwhenlit

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've done it before, but I've never found an easy way to adjust the GTB S switch on their large relay banks. Does anybody have any tips or tricks they use other than my usual multiple trial and error technique? It can take a *long* time to adjust that way, having to unlock the bank / adjust / relock / test / repeat.
    Thanks in advance!

#2 10 years ago

Do you mean the armature switch that's tucked underneath the relay bank? (Usually underneath the 'SB' relay, so called the 'SB' armature switch.) The one that opens/closes base on the relay armature movement.

#3 10 years ago

Yes.

#4 10 years ago

That particular switch certainly is challenging to get to. The way I go about doing games involves doing a complete bottoms up rebuild, so when I get to that switch, I've got the score motor board pulled out of the cabinet, all the parts stripped off the board and sitting on a workbench. Then when I clean that switch, I take it off the bracket, clean it, put it back on, and then I can twist/turn the relay bank as needed to watch the action and gap. So it just kinda gets done as I go along.

But with everything mounted on the board, and the board still in the game, I think I'd still be tempted to pull the board out and place it on a bench, so the switch is easier to access and see. The extra time it takes to pull the board and then later put it back is probably still faster than trying to fiddle with it in the game. Might try just cleaning the contacts "blind" and see if that helps first, but it's hard to see.

One other thing I've done is to use one of those dental mirrors and a strong light. The mirror helps being able to see the switch while it's under the relay, but access for cleaning/adjusting is still a pain.

#5 10 years ago

I agree, adjusting the switches with the bottom panel pulled out of the game is exponentially easier than with the panel in place, and a strong light really helps. I haven't tried the dental mirror trick, so that's a thought.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-adjusting-the-dreaded-gtb-s-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.