New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 14689)

Tech: Adding LED's to POTD w/ Figures on LOTR

By fattrain

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Fooped
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

potd2.JPG
potd.JPG
969604828_ySJ5Q-M.jpg
5mm_green.JPG

#1 8 years ago

So I bought the below featured kit to add figures to my Path of the Dead.

The plexiglass mounting board also supports 5mm LED's so I picked up a few green ones to light up the figures.

The raw LED's I received (from Pinbits) also came with resistors.

I tried hooking up the LED to a random GI bulb and it worked fine.
(I used the resistor with it as well, green banded side to longer leg of LED)

Then when I hooked up the LED to a control lamp that was flashing, I burnt out my LED.

I am not sure how this happened and want to avoid it again if possible.

I have already re-ordered 10 LED's (even though I only burnt out one) from Pinbits just so I have a few more to blow up in testing....

Question:
Is there anything special I need to do to wire these up?
I want to wire them to 3 of the 4 POTD Insert Lights (#1, #2, #3).

969604828_ySJ5Q-M.jpg 5mm_green.JPG

#2 8 years ago

Control Lamp...Was it a flasher?

Check the voltages of the GI and then Control. They are probalby different. Plus you really need to know what the Voltage and mA is for the LED. I think GI is about 6.7Volts are so.
RAW LEDs can have voltage ratings all over the place. You mentioned that pinbits provided a resistor, so you hopefully its bringing the voltage down to the LED spec; but I would still check it.

#3 8 years ago

It was one of the ring mission lamps (not a flasher).

I had it in single bulb test mode and just had it flashing.

According to Pinbits website it is 20mA?

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=78&zenid=5n7ankql2vh4qrrjvsbdj2pmm3

#4 8 years ago

Would hooking up the wires in reverse instantly fry the LED like that??

I wasn't sure what caused it so that's why I bought 10 more for testing (when I only need 1, haha!)

#5 8 years ago

I would just hook it up to the GI and save yourself the trouble. I heard of someone here hooking up to the lights behind the path of the dead, but mine is just hooked up to the GI.

#6 8 years ago

I took three coin taker green frosted 555's, cut off the bottom plastic, and shoved them into the figures. They look awesome. No hassling with resistors etc.

#7 8 years ago

There are a lot of generic calculators out there for LEDs and resistors. http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

A small green LED like yours will have a forward voltage of ~3.6V (3.3-3.9V). You will need to know what the voltage is for the socket you are tapping. Voltage for 555/44 socket is 6.3V, so you would need at least 150 ohm resistor. 120 would be fine as well.

Put the resistor between the cathode (short LED lead) and the negative side of the light socket, and tie the anode (long lead) to the positive side.

If you tied it backwards there is a good chance of popping the LED. If the resistor is too small you could shorten its life as well. If you tied it to a flasher it would go (909/89 bulbs are 13V, so the resistor would need to be 3x the value).

All of that being said, I have never done anything with LOTR, so I can only give you generic tips about LEDs.

Good luck.

#8 8 years ago

Thank you VERY much for your help. I'll report back in the next few days once I've blown up a few more LED's

#9 8 years ago

Ok, this really couldn't be any easier. Here is a picture of mine. The picture shows more green light bleed than there is due to the camera:

potd.JPG

I shoved one green frosted cointaker 555 into each figure and just wired it to GI. That would be one of these that are 69 cents each: http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=6

The frosted is nice as it radiates light better than raw LEDs. The image is a bit more washed out than it looks in real life. You can also tell by the lights in the back as they look like there's bleed as well. In real life there's not. It really looks great and is very easy to do. Two of the 3 figures already had the hole to shove the lights into. The third, I drilled it out. The figures are hollow so the bulbs fit in easy. potd2.JPG

#10 8 years ago

GREAT! THANKS! When I get mine all wired up i'll let ya know

#11 8 years ago

The rest of my post was missing. It said:

I also put three frosted green LEDs underneath the path of the dead board to light up the plastic inserts of the ghosts. This also lights up the whole underside area green. See how bright my ramps look under the path of the dead.

#12 8 years ago

Great idea! I might have to do that as well!

5 years later
#13 2 years ago

So did you ever get it wired to the control lamp with blowing? If so what size resistor?

#14 2 years ago

Thread resurrection of all time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 1,000.00
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside