(Topic ID: 197436)

Tech: Adding LEDs to Andromeda Game Plan ?

By Whysnow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMGP5697 (resized).JPG
IMGP5696 (resized).JPG
LDU2-SMT-LED (resized).jpg
P9060520 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Has anyone ever done this? They strobe badly no matter what bulb I use (Comet generics, Comet 2SMD which is my preferred bulb, or cointaker no ghosting) in the inserts.

Back box and GI work fine with Comet 2SMD frosted, but I want to do inserts.

Please educate me and share some knowledge on what works and what I need to do to put LEDs in my game. I have searched the interweb and can't find any solid info on this.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You could try adding a resistor to one of the lamp sockets (something between 200-500ohm) and see if that improves the strobing.-that is essentially what the Alltek lamp boards and other aftermarket alternatives like Siegecraft do.

can you link me the correct resistor you are thinking of?

#6 6 years ago

thanks

so I just add them across each leg of the socket on each bulb?

or inline on power side?

#9 6 years ago

thanks VERY much for the photo. Always nice to have visual confirmation.

Makes me wonder, could I add the resistors on the light board instead? Would be much easier to work on the board on the bench rather than underside of the pf.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Been on the list for a while to do an adapter set for Game Plan. Just haven't had the time this summer, what with the move and all, hoping to re-visit the idea this fall.
-Hans

are you going to do it for sure?

If so, I can wait and I can also beta test for you.

#13 6 years ago

I have a spare LDU-2 I can loan you

P9060520 (resized).JPGP9060520 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Let me do a bit more digging first. May have to get creative here, and thinking about different options on how I'd want to proceed.
-Hans

OK, keep me posted please.

1 week later
#19 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Well, spent most of my freetime over the last 4-5 days working on a few concepts, trying to make this easy on myself, but there's no way around it. I cannot come up with a feasible way to handle the multiplexing without sticking to the same basic layout of 4-16 encoders and SCR's. So nothing earth shattering in the redesign like I had hoped to come up with.
It's gotta be essentially a re-drawn LDU-2 board with integrated load resistors. But, since there's not a HUGE demand, it'll need to be LDU-1 back-compatible too, so that means it's gotta fit the smaller footprint. I know it's not the most popular choice, but it's gotta be surface mount to make that happen. For standardization and long term durability I'm going to just run the whole board with the higher load rated SCR's. Bally/Stern all eliminated the buffers during regular production in the 70's, with better 4-16 encoders i'll do the same.
Pricing will likely be along the same lines as Bally/Stern lamp drivers from other sources, since the core structuring is the same. Would this be worth it to you guys? I'm willing to at least crank out a prototype or two for testing, and if it works we can continue the discussion. Production wouldn't be a small outlay so I've gotta know the market here.
-Hans

I am 100% in and I am sure that there will be quite a few others.

I am not sure how many you need to make it worth the time/investment, but I will help drum up sales if needed. I know of 5 sales off the top of my head from other GP owners I have spoken to. That tells me you should be able to get a decent number in short order.

Lots of Sharpshooter, Lizard, and then add on the Andromeda and Cyclopes and you are a decent population.
If it works in the cocktails then I bet you sell some there also.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Is the problem that the inserts strobe when they should be lit solidly? If so, try our flux (ala ultimate optix) bulbs: http://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1837
Haven't tried these on Gameplan games personally, but they are designed to eliminate the flickering you get on early Bally solid states.

warm white out of stock

Outside of that I always prefer a whole board solution as it allows the flexibility for any bulb style

#24 6 years ago

sounds great and thanks for taking this on!

1 week later
#27 6 years ago

Awesme and thanks for doing this!

#34 6 years ago

thanks, subscribed and hoping other so also.

May be worth starting a new thread and cross posting in the Game PLan club thread?

#41 6 years ago

so what do I owe you and when is one ready for me?

7 months later
#47 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Only enough parts on-hand for one at the moment. Cashflow is kinda tight at the moment and the parts add up quick.
Long afternoon to assemble this one with a paste dispenser and tweezers. But not worth the expense of a stencil for just a couple boards.

HHaase
any updates on this?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

A few boards out for testing, getting some results I haven't been happy with, but can't narrow down what's up in the design yet.

Thx for update! Hopefully you can get it licked soon. Lots for gameplan owners that would love this!

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

want a test board? Got one more if you want to try.
-Hans

Happy to try it. i am not super tech with boards but happy to i stall. And let you know what I experience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-adding-leds-to-andromeda-game-plan?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.