• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a spot light to my Saga Lost In Space aimed at the Robot using a 555 size spotlight housing and a Cointaker 555 LED super bright LED. I've got it installed and both wires of the spotlight is wired to each side of a controlled under playfield light. This light comes on when Robot Multiball is ready so the spotlight comes on and shins on the robot when this mode is ready.

Here's the problem; the spotlight will also come on when other controlled lights on the playfield come on and these other lights also come on when the spotlight is on. I did a Column/Row test on the light circuit. On the Row test all lights come on (including the spot light attached to the controlled light attached to) at the proper times. The problem manifests when I do the Column test.

Is the problem with the way I have it wired up or am I using the incirrect Cointaker LED? Maybe I should be wiring this setup in series and not parallel?
ehc
Thanks for the help and any suggestions,
Dave Schulpius

#2 6 years ago

Are all of the other bulbs in your LIS also LEDs?

Or are they still incandescents?

RM

#3 6 years ago

Sounds like you bypassed the play field lamps diode. Each light has a diode to prevent this. If you bridge off the existing lamp you either need your own diode or you need to patch into the lamp after the diode, not before.

#4 6 years ago

Ahh, the old diode trick! Very clever. I had tried adding a diode or two but only inline on each wire. I'll try to add one across the lamp wires.

And, yes, most all the controlled lamps are LED's I do still have a few regular 555 under there because I ran out of LEDs. Need to order more.

Thanks and I'll get back to update.

#5 6 years ago

Well I finally got this one figured out. To add a lamp to an existing controlled lamp I needed a combination of diodes. One diode "in line" on each of the two wires that feed the extra lamp socket for the spotlight. I needed to have the bands on these two diodes in opposite directions. These diodes stopped other controlled lamps from being turned on at the wrong times. Then I needed one more across the two wires at the lamp. This one kept the spotlight lamp from being turned on with other controlled lamps when it shouldn't. I needed to get direction of this band right which wasn't to hard to find. I just turned it around till everything worked properly.

Thanks for the tip! It helped a lot.

Dave Schulpius

#6 6 years ago

can you post a pic ? looking to add a light for my bsd. thanks joe

#7 6 years ago

You really shouldn't need all this. All you have to do is fine the original lamp and attach the wires *after* the diode and power your new lamp. The circuit needs to be diode protected. It's ok for there to be one, two or three lights behind the diode. The same theory is used for the slingshot switches. Two switches on one switch line using one diode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
PinSound
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 214.99
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 1,099.00
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 109.99
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside