Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cal50
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I was doing some work on a friend's TAF a few weeks ago and noticed something strange. There is a solenoid on the side of the swamp scoop that basically pushes the ball over an inch into a VUK. The side-to-side solenoid was intermittent, sometimes waiting for a ball search to move the ball over to the VUK. I fired it in test mode and it moved veeerrrrryyyy sloooooowly. Sometimes it would move quickly, but not as fast as the typical 'pop' you get from a solenoid w/plunger.

I had a coil and sleeve on hand, so I swapped them out real quick. Didn't make a difference. The fixture moves smoothly by hand as well. It seems like the power is intermittent or not strong enough to bring it over. It doesn't work in test, so I'm not sure why it works in 'search' mode. He said that it gave up the other day and won't kick the balls out at all.

I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Check the ohm reading of the coil (coil good?)
Connections. Wires on coil lug,switch that signals coil.
Check switch is working correctly.
Voltage at coil lug.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Check the ohm reading of the coil (coil good?)
Connections. Wires on coil lug,switch that signals coil.
Check switch is working correctly.
Voltage at coil lug.

Checked everything on that list except voltage at coil! Will do. Any other thoughts? It's location is a pain to get so I want to be well prepared.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas?

Check wiring from coil to power driver board. Easy to have a crappy connection or loose wire in a connector along the way.

Very long shot - ribbon cable between CPU and power driver board, but I highly doubt it.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

Grounding the non-power lug of the coil should make it cycle. A jumper to the side rail or ground braid will work. If it cycles jumping to ground look close at the connections or the drive transistor.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks a lot, guys.... I'll bring some extra ribbon cable and my best meter!

#7 10 years ago

Does it cycle correctly in solenoid test?
Chair kickout is solenoid #1

#8 10 years ago

ALRIGHT. So this was WEIRD.

I checked voltage, connections, ribbon cable FIRST, then powered on the game. It's possible something was up, but that wasn't the biggest issue.

The balls would go to the swamp as a lock, and get stuck there, say 'watch for swamp kickout', get stuck there and do a ball search before kicking a ball to the shooter lane. BUT if you hit the ball into the scoop or swamp, it was kicked out as usual.

My friend never takes the glass off his games, but knows the rules inside and out. I thought the problem was getting the ball out of the swamp during multiball (but only then for whatever reason). He eventually told me that it usually doesn't tell you to look for the swamp kickout, it just goes to the lane automatically. I then realized that I had fixed the swamp. Even a slow push would get the ball over, and it was working great now anyway.

The PROBLEM was actually in the trough! The outkicker was worn and loose and ever-so-slightly rubbed the last switch, so it wouldn't let the next ball roll into place to be kicked out. The slight jostle from the ball search was enough to bump it over and kick it out. Took a little bit of thinking, and if he didn't know the rules so well, it would have taken even longer to find. I stuck my hand in and advanced the balls manually, and it worked fine. haha...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and I thought you might get a kick out of this repair.

#9 10 years ago

A fix is a fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 180.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-addams-family-swamp-solenoid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.