You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010201.JPG
solenoidConnector.JPG
solenoidConnector.JPG
bally-hvreg.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

Transistors are like a switch. Think of it this way. You have three legs. One is input, one is output, and the third one is the switch. If you apply a small amount of voltage to the switch leg, you turn on the transistor connecting the input and output together and allowing current to pass through.

You should test the transistor before replacing them. All three can be easily tested with a DMM. Save you time and money. The one in the to-3 case is expensive. Look up testing transistors with a DMM on youtube.

If the resistors are bad, they are usually burnt looking. The resistors are often bad in the high voltage section. R51, r54, and R55 burn the most often if I am remember correctly.

Find zener diode VR1. With the power on, carefully check the voltage on the banded side of the diode. You should see +140vdc there. If it is low replace VR1 (this is after replacing / assuming resistors are all good and in spec).

Andrew

#26 10 years ago

The pins in your picture that you have highlighted are ground return pins and solder can be touching / continuity. They honestly look okay from that side of the board. The final bottom pin CAN NOT be touching. That is a 5v pin and will blow fuse if it shorts to ground.

That is a connector i find almost mandatory to replace. It caries all the power for the logic boards and needs to be good shape with no resistance.

#32 10 years ago

Funny thing...

I just repaired a Driver board tonight with the same symptoms as you after rebuilding the resistors/filter cap. Low output voltage (100v), yet i could adjust it with the pot, just not high enough. It was the zener diode.

#34 10 years ago

The one used on the bally board is rated for 1/2w. You can use a 1w version just fine. It has a different part number i can not recall off the top of my head. Maybe your supplier has that version. You can test this zener diode, but you need to lift one leg to do so in this circuit.

Ed at Great Plains Electronics i'm sure sells this component.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 179.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-1978-bally-ss-power-play-no-display?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.