7-16-2013_445.jpg
7-16-2013_298.jpg
7-16-2013_295.jpg
7-16-2013_448.jpg
7-16-2013_447.jpg
7-16-2013_343.jpg
7-16-2013_342.jpg
7-16-2013_341.jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I picked up a nice No Fear over the weekend. It needs a major cleaning, light bulbs and a flipper rebuild. I ordered the parts I needed and started tearing down the playfield. I started to take off the main ramp and I think I have all of the screws out but its not coming out easily. I don't want to force it.. Any advice? I'm wondering if the ramp is attached to the magnets in the back? Also does anyone have experience cleaning out the subway ramps underneath the playfield? Is that pretty easy? I see some dust and grime in there..Thx for any advice

#2 10 years ago

I removed the magnets from the back and let them hang, I can't remember exactly what else I had to do, but took pictures while tearing down, maybe they'll help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109644016826076831238/20120523NoFear?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Pictures are in reverse date order so go to the end to see the beginning...

I removed the subway ramp and cleaned, but I bought the machine with all new ramps so I have several old ramps (not the jump ramp) if you end up needing one.

#3 10 years ago

I've used Purple Power (search the forums) available at most hardware stores, auto supply stores, etc... (like $6-$10 a gallon) on plastic ramps/subway troughs and it works awesome. Spray on out of a bottle, wait a few minutes and wipe away. Rinse under cold water and you should sparkle with excitement at a very clean ramp/trough.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from NunjoBiznezz:

I removed the magnets from the back and let them hang, I can't remember exactly what else I had to do, but took pictures while tearing down, maybe they'll help:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109644016826076831238/20120523NoFear?authuser=0&feat=directlink
I removed the subway ramp and cleaned, but I bought the machine with all new ramps so I have several old ramps (not the jump ramp) if you end up needing one.

Thx for the pictures, I'm taking pictures of the machine as I go so I know how to put it back together
I'm not sure what the jump ramp is supposed to look like, mine has foil on it, it seems. I'm not sure how the magnets connect to it if they do. it looks like the back RAM goes into the cabinet but I'm not sure if I can just pull that out or if it has to be twisted a certain way. I don't want to force it.

The ramps underneath the playfield seems fairly easy to take out I was just wondering if there were any landmines waiting for me if I started messing with it. I'm pretty good on cleaners I have Novus 1-2-3 simple green and a good carnuba wax. I will keep an eye out for that purplepower though.

#5 10 years ago

your machine came out beautiful by the way. I am very encouraged...

#6 10 years ago

the magnets and the optos are holding in the ramp (a real pain in the azz) I just redone my NF it came out great I added some more GI lights in the PF where it was dark new ramps rubbers plastic set now I just need some cab decals good luck post some pics a long the way

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

the magnets and the optos are holding in the ramp (a real pain in the azz) I just redone my NF it came out great I added some more GI lights in the PF where it was dark new ramps rubbers plastic set now I just need some cab decals good luck post some pics a long the way

I thought it might be something like that...I would prefer to take everything off but I might have to try to just work around it if I have to..

#8 10 years ago

got behind the ramp, still having problems getting it all off. But I did notice that the magnets are disconnected in the back and this is what the ramp looks like.. thoughts?

1372201709756.jpg1372201709756.jpg

#9 10 years ago

I have to assume that the magnet so bad since only one out of three all plugged in and it seems to be some kind of crystallization going on. Has anyone had to replace these?

#10 10 years ago

my ramp looked the same way . your going have to pull the optos off to get the ramp off & back on then test and make sure they all are working its a real pain in the azz

NF_4.pngNF_4.png

#11 10 years ago

I went through hell trying to get the ramp off of mine. Like what's been said, if you can get your optos off, then you should be able to free the ramp. You have to slide it forward enough so the 'tongue' along the back ridge of the ramp can clear the groove cutout on the back wall. The holes in the ramp should give you the access to the opto mounting screws.

The problem with mine was that the left opto was mounted in a vertical direction on a 90-degree bracket and I couldn't get at the necessary screws to remove the opto or the bracket. It appears that a change was made in the mounting of the left opto sometime during the NF production run. If you're lucky, your left one is positioned just like the other two.

If it's is like mine was, you're probably in for a harder time. To finally got my ramp out, I had to unscrew the magnet brackets from the back wall and slide the magnets out with the ramp. And even then, it required WAY more flexing of the ramp than I would have preferred. (If you go this route, have the magnets all unplugged ahead of time.)

Here's an old thread where we discussed removing the ramp (it's midway down the page)
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/friday-teardown

For the record, when I re-assembled things I took a gamble and left out that cursed angle bracket - and mounted the left opto the same as the rest (horizontally). Now all the optos can be removed fairly easily. The alignment of the 'eye' ended up pretty much the same and I've seen no functionality issues.

Good luck.

#12 10 years ago

the jump ramp is usually melted on the magnet area. my advice: buy a new ramp! just 100 dollars or more and it's worth it.
i tried to put metal bands.. i tried it all. but the way the ball moves with a new ramp makes it really worth it.
the ramp used to be sold out everywhere.. but not anymore so grab one hile you can

#13 10 years ago

Thx for the advice! I was able to mover the ramp around & squeeze it enough without breaking it to get it out. Hopefully getting it back in will be ok.Otherwise I'll remove the optos. I'll take a picture of the underneath of the ramp later & post it. I don't think it looked too bad. I think somewhere along the way it started to melt the ramp & the owner or operator disconnected the 2 right magnets to stop it.
I spoke to someone last night who has shopped the game a few times & he suggested to leave them disconnected that it affects the gameplay very minimally..
I only found 1 ramp for sale (in stock) on Ebay for $200 so I'm going to hold off before I dump even more $$ in...

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Hopefully getting it back in will be ok.Otherwise I'll remove the optos.

Remove the front optos. It's not too bad, and you don't want to screw anything up. If you do install a repro ramp, you will need to do this for sure, as these ramps are thicker. I'm actually surprised you were able to get it out without doing this.

While it's apart, either reflow or replace all the optos for the magnets. It's not easy to get there again, and now's the time. install the magnets and test the optos and magnets before installing the ramp. This area is one of the biggest pain in the asses in pinball to deal with after the fact.

As for the ramps, the only place left to get the set, and it's a must IMO, is MAD. Even James is out:

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=55

The main ramp is always broken/melted over the magnets, there are usually cracks in the holes for the long main posts in the front of it, above the right ramp (usually the posts are broken in the threaded area as well, you may need to replace those), the right ramp may have the typical chip out of a side of the entrance, and the lower subway gets cracked from vibration.

Good luck. My cab was perfect, and the PF looks awesome with HP coloured LEDs in the spotlights.

#15 10 years ago

I think the ramp I have is in pretty good shape. Going to hold off on buying a new one for now. Used up most of my fun money just getting the pin...Probably will go with LED's though. Any suggestions on the upper playfield ones? The underneath inserts I can just match the colors.. If anyone has pictures of theirs with LED's in them I would love to see them. Especially before and after pix..

#16 10 years ago

What did you use to get the ball track marks out on the upper curves? I used Novus 3 & 2 and it's improved but still there..

#17 10 years ago

Can't you take the backboard off the make your life easier? I think that's what I did. It was a long time ago. I do remember thinking I was going to break something when I was trying to get that ramp out.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Can't you take the backboard off the make your life easier? I think that's what I did. It was a long time ago. I do remember thinking I was going to break something when I was trying to get that ramp out.

I was able to squeeze & manevuver it out. The newer ones sound like they are thicker & might have to take optos out if I ever go that route..

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I spoke to someone last night who has shopped the game a few times & he suggested to leave them disconnected that it affects the gameplay very minimally..

if you do this you will turn the game into crap. trust me..

more ramps for sale:
http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/8427

save on leds cuzz that is just ornamental and put your money into gameplay. putting a new ramp completely changes the game. it's so worth it.

my no fear before a new ramp. look how hard it is for the ball to go up. and all 3 magnets are working here:

now watch my no fear after getting a new ramp. it's like having a new machine. watch the speed and how every shot goes up the ramp easy:

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

What did you use to get the ball track marks out on the upper curves? I used Novus 3 & 2 and it's improved but still there..

I didn't clean the ramps, just by chance the machine I bought included a set of new ramps, not yet installed. I have the old ramps in a pile in the basement. When I do clean ramps I use Mean Green and Novus 2. I haven't tried flame polishing ramps yet, not sure if that would help.

#21 10 years ago

After looking at ramp I'm going to listen to Hasssnchop. I checked Marco again and it said they had it in stock now. $159 including shipping..I'm a sucker for doing things the right way..

#22 10 years ago

The magnets are essential. They propel the ball to the upper flipper at speed, They help propel a weak ramp shot that barely made it thru the one way gate to the upper flipper & there's situations in the game where the magnets stop the ball dead so it runs back down the left wire ramp to feed the left flipper (Snow challenge mode I think?)

Also be sure to grab a complete NF ramp protector kit as the inside corner of the jump ramp takes an absolute beating.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

if you do this you will turn the game into crap. trust me..
more ramps for sale:
http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/8427
save on leds cuzz that is just ornamental and put your money into gameplay. putting a new ramp completely changes the game. it's so worth it.
my No Fear before a new ramp. look how hard it is for the ball to go up. and all 3 magnets are working here:
» YouTube video
now watch my No Fear after getting a new ramp. it's like having a new machine. watch the speed and how every shot goes up the ramp easy:
» YouTube video

my ramp is probably TWICE as fast ...?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

my ramp is probably TWICE as fast ...?

maybe the angle of my machine is less inclined?

Quoted from Butch2099:

ter looking at ramp I'm going to listen to Hasssnchop. I checked Marco again and it said they had it in stock now. $159 including shipping.

you won't regret it

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from conserx:

Also be sure to grab a complete NF ramp protector kit as the inside corner of the jump ramp takes an absolute beating.

Cliffys? Or does someone else sell them?

#26 10 years ago

Found them on Cliffys site..The thicker new ramps still need the protectors?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Found them on Cliffys site..The thicker new ramps still need the protectors?

Guess we will never know... but you can be the first to try it without a cliffy

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Guess we will never know... but you can be the first to try it without a cliffy

Lol..thx...I'm just thinking $75 to protect a $150 ramp on a game I only played long enough to see that it worked.. This bargain is getting expensive..

#29 10 years ago

I put the 3 piece set on mine from http://www.littleshopofgames.com/ the new New & Improved ramps are much nicer then to old ones Curly has them in stock you will have some rivet work to do but no big deal

#30 10 years ago

I don't recall reading this here but I'll mention it anyway. Make sure you have game ROM version 2.3a which is the latest. The older version and I believe it was prior to the 2.0 versions, didn't disable the magnets if the opto switch went bad or stuck on, so you'll end up with magnet burns on the ramp. So check your version and if need be get the the latest ROM.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I don't recall reading this here but I'll mention it anyway. Make sure you have game ROM version 2.3a which is the latest. The older version and I believe it was prior to the 2.0 versions, didn't disable the magnets if the opto switch went bad or stuck on, so you'll end up with magnet burns on the ramp. So check your version and if need be get the the latest ROM.

Thanks for the heads up. I did see this on another thread and ordered the newest ROM. I think it was running the original 2.0

Quoted from Turboderf:

I put the 3 piece set on mine from http://www.littleshopofgames.com/ the new New & Improved ramps are much nicer then to old ones Curly has them in stock you will have some rivet work to do but no big deal

I'll take a look at it but I have never done rivet work. I'll probably just go with Cliffys. I like to do things the right way and if you guys say that is what needs to be done that's why I'm here asking questions...

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Lol..thx...I'm just thinking $75 to protect a $150 ramp on a game I only played long enough to see that it worked.. This bargain is getting expensive..

i didn't know it was 75$ :s
and you are right.. protecting a 150$ ramp with 75$... don't know..
the new ramps are thicker i think. and with next gen materials.. maybe it will hold up? for that price i would risk it.
on mine i just took out the old from the old ramp and installed on the new

#33 10 years ago

Yeah I remember thinking that the cost of the ramp protectors was steep too but purchased for my new ramp anyway.
I think that this protector is essential: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RP-NF2

The others you could get away with not using

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from conserx:

Yeah I remember thinking that the cost of the ramp protectors was steep too but purchased for my new ramp anyway.
I think that this protector is essential: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RP-NF2
The others you could get away with not using

I went ahead & ordered the whole set..saved a few bucks by ordering all of them directly from Cliffy ($67 total no shipping). Better safe than sorry & it could be a selling point eventually..

2 weeks later
#35 10 years ago

Finally got it done!! New Jump ramp, Led's throughout, new ROM, complete flipper rebuild for all 3 flippers, Cliffy's protectors and a LOT of elbow grease. Also had a local pinhead/friend help me with a burnt connector. Before/after pix to follow...

#36 10 years ago

Start with the pic everyone loves..the shooter lane..

7-16-2013_339.jpg7-16-2013_339.jpg 7-16-2013_449.jpg7-16-2013_449.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Outlanes

7-16-2013_341.jpg7-16-2013_341.jpg 7-16-2013_342.jpg7-16-2013_342.jpg 7-16-2013_343.jpg7-16-2013_343.jpg

#38 10 years ago

clean...

7-16-2013_447.jpg7-16-2013_447.jpg 7-16-2013_448.jpg7-16-2013_448.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Overall before Led's

7-16-2013_295.jpg7-16-2013_295.jpg 7-16-2013_298.jpg7-16-2013_298.jpg

#40 10 years ago

After Led's

7-16-2013_445.jpg7-16-2013_445.jpg 7-16-2013_436.jpg7-16-2013_436.jpg

#41 10 years ago

The backbox was a HUGE difference with Led's

7-16-2013_423.jpg7-16-2013_423.jpg 7-16-2013_437.jpg7-16-2013_437.jpg

#42 10 years ago

Couple more...

7-16-2013_327.jpg7-16-2013_327.jpg 7-16-2013_442.jpg7-16-2013_442.jpg

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

The backbox was a HUGE difference with Led's

I like the translite colors look great

#44 10 years ago

post a pic with the translate off I want to see how you did the lites

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

post a pic with the translate off I want to see how you did the lites

Thx...I'll do that tonight when I get home from work...

#46 10 years ago

looking great!!
since you are having all this work, think on putting inside decals heehheheheh

#47 10 years ago

i am so proud of them... lol :

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

looking great!!
since you are having all this work, think on putting inside decals heehheheheh

that looks cool but doesn't it take a beating when you lift the playfield?

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

that looks cool but doesn't it take a beating when you lift the playfield?

no. the pf has a little margin to the walls of the cabinet. when you lift it it is not supposed to scratch the walls. if it didn't then all our machines would have completely damaged walls.
of course after you install sideboard decals you will have to be more careful from then on

#50 10 years ago

here is the breakdown for you.14 Orange, 11 blue, to yellow, 6 white, & 8 red...

IMAG0212.jpgIMAG0212.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tearing-down-a-no-fear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.