2ekdt5 (resized).jpg
2ek7lm (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
fonzie-jumps-the-shark (resized).png
2A2EB8C8-5F14-4467-AC2F-8C1C776C9C42 (resized).jpeg
23154857_537535726588962_963075730342596239_o.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This company has been hovering for some time.
It is not a true pinball "improvement" when a near 40 year old title like Paragon has superior artwork, gameplay, and cost (in above average condition which is less than 1/4 of the MSRP price, including new boards), completely trounces a new pinball design. If I did bit more research I probably could figure out which early SS games they took direct influence to create this game, as it reminds me of a retheme.
My only suggestion to the company is "try harder", if there is a next time. We are approaching an apex of pinball change. It is good to see enthusiasts are getting wiser.
Good luck to TeamPinball, but this is a hard sell, even to new high rollers in the hobby.

There's another important difference: 9,000 Paragons versus 100 Mafias.

#113 5 years ago

What Janos and crew are doing - and let's not forget, this is literally a core group of four at this point, including the designer - if learning to walk before they run. Could they make a more complex game at this point? Probably not. Could they realistically make more than 100? Definitely not. For comparison, AMH had a run of no more than 150, and Spooky has been held up as the benchmark for doing the boutique thing 'right'. Hell, there are twice as many Jetsons out in the world. 100 of these, 10 at a time, doesn't sound like a tall order to me.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Do you guys have the Cricket version of pitch and bats over in England? If not, you should. Hint, hint.

There's a reason why not.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Beyond the rarest of unicorns - the word "literally" used correctly!

Now for an encore, get people to stop mixing up 'why' with 'how'.

#250 5 years ago

Well, I got to play it a good bit today and it's a lot of fun. Definitely more sophisticated and stylish than the basic layout appears at first, and the decision to use lightning flippers with a centre post gives it an interesting feel and extra challenge. Overall quite an achievement for a core team of four all working in their spare time.

#253 5 years ago

It should go without saying but I'm going to bloody do it anyway: anyone saying 'I'm out' at this early point was never going to be in regardless.

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I worked with these guys for years and had no idea what they were up to. Working for Heighway Pinball was a valuable lesson for all of us.....whatever Andrew Heighway did, do the complete opposite and you might be successful. Team Pinball are doing just that it seems. However, the price for this product is way too high. For a new company, they should be aiming at around £4k. And realistically, they shouldn't expect to see a profit for a few years.
It does look like a quality, well-made product but this game needs amazing code to counter the simplistic layout and unappealing theme.
I wish them the best of luck on their new endeavour.

£4K is only feasible if you're producing in bulk with a large factory floor and are certain to shift enough units. And if the equation was that easy, Stern would be doing it. This is hand-built by three people in the same way JPop was trying to do - it's not *quite* the same as saying, 'well the Mona Lisa can't be worth millions if I can pick up a print of it for a fiver', but you get the idea. It's definitely not aimed at the market that people think it is, and is not intended, nor is it a requirement, for it to sell even triple digit quantities.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

You sure about that? Sure it's not just painted black and very very much metal? If not I stand corrected. And proud to see Team Pinball carry on the tradition lol.

The Mafia's lockdown bar isn't plastic.

#276 5 years ago

Also reverse-printed plastic playfields were common on European games going back ages ago.

#278 5 years ago

Is that the vanilla, strawberry, or mint Vendetta?

4 months later
#324 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

How many have sold so far? I kinda feel bad for these guys crashing and burning so hard on this, but the price point is straight up suicidal given the cheap feel of the game.

They didn't 'crash and burn so hard' because they didn't overextend themselves. Mafia was more of a feasibility study with a proof of concept, done on a small enough scale that if they did miscalculate the first time, they have the chance to try and learn from it with another attempt that can get the balance right. Making shitloads of money with Mafia wasn't the primary goal. Making the platform was.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/team-pinball-mafia-just-revealed?tu=ealadubhsidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.