2ekdt5 (resized).jpg
2ek7lm (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
fonzie-jumps-the-shark (resized).png
2A2EB8C8-5F14-4467-AC2F-8C1C776C9C42 (resized).jpeg
23154857_537535726588962_963075730342596239_o.jpg
There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 5 years ago

Yes Pinball News is correcting. It was just an error in understanding how taxes do / don’t work here in US. We clarified it this AM. I’m sure Martin’s article was just written prior, well I know it was. All good...

#52 5 years ago

Looks like a super nice easy to play pinball game.. both my kids 6 and 10 are 1000% more into playing TNA over my other more in depth pins. Even DI. I actually think they nailed it as a first pin, with very low complexity, modern components, and a simple family friendly theme.

Machine gun bumpers, the bank, tablet sized screen in black and white newspaper.

I could see this pin really resonating with collectors with young family. Or in a place like golf land or other Arcades with lots of kids. It just needs a ticket dispenser.

I think the whole thing is genius outside the box thinking.

Yeah it misses the mark completely for us hardcore pinheads. But who cares. It exisits to widen the pinball audience and I think it does so pretty masterfully. While also being within the scope of accomplishment for a new company with limited staff and labor.

#53 5 years ago

The Mafia is a family friendly theme?

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Yes completely imo..

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nowhere for the ball to stop and make you watch some stupid video clip or wait for instructions is a win in my book.

So you are gonna buy this thing?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Got that right, daddy-o.

the-godfather (resized).jpgthe-godfather (resized).jpg
#57 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you are gonna buy this thing?

Would save me a ton of money over Supreme. And I wouldn't even have to switch to Geico.

Quoted from OnTheSnap:

both my kids 6 and 10 are 1000% more into playing TNA over my other more in depth pins.

That explains it then. I have the pinball mentality of an 8 year old

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Smoking, sex, guns, crime, mafia... Totally family friendly.

I'm just gonna half-ass think up a no license theme, Dante's Inferno. Retheme this bitch as Dante's Inferno with killer artwork and you've got something better than what you have now.

#60 5 years ago

Why family friendly anyway? Who really cares what the lamest 10% of pinball players want.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why family friendly anyway? Who really cares what the lamest 10% of pinball players want anyway.

If you aren't going for family-friendly, at least make it cool. This theme isn't cool. It's cornballish.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Looks like a super nice easy to play pinball game.. both my kids 6 and 10 are 1000% more into playing TNA over my other more in depth pins. Even DI. I actually think they nailed it as a first pin, with very low complexity, modern components, and a simple family friendly theme.
Machine gun bumpers, the bank, tablet sized screen in black and white newspaper.
I could see this pin really resonating with collectors with young family. Or in a place like golf land or other Arcades with lots of kids. It just needs a ticket dispenser.
I think the whole thing is genius outside the box thinking.
Yeah it misses the mark completely for us hardcore pinheads. But who cares. It exisits to widen the pinball audience and I think it does so pretty masterfully. While also being within the scope of accomplishment for a new company with limited staff and labor.

Yeah, we heard all that with melons and vacation America and Spider-Man home too.

I think the problem is this just doesn’t seem to have any pizazz. The retro concept surely can work but it needs a hook.

#63 5 years ago

TNA is a hit with my family, yet the theme is about killing the world in the future with bombs.

It’s family friendly based on implementation. No need to dig below the surface.

This pin to me is extremely appealing from a young or new pinball perspective.

Don’t get me wrong. Personally I’m obsessed with IMDN and breaking 500M and beating the modes. But I feel I get this pins purpose. And appreciate it

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

This theme isn't cool. It's cornballish.

I remember when cornballish in pinball was cool. Not that long ago. Perhaps it is pinball itself that has become uncool.

#65 5 years ago

Guys, give them credit. They didn’t take money and disappear. They created a boutique product that is truly limited in production. Although you may not like the theme or game, we want them to be successful as it will only bring better and more games in the future. Competition is good!

Good luck! Can’t wait to play one.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why family friendly anyway? Who really cares what the overly sensitive 10% of pinball players want.

Believe me I don't. Just thought it was humorous to call a pin about an organization whose business revolves around murder, extortion, prostitution, gambling, drugs etc as family friendly.

Reminds me of a thread on a local forum where someone asked for family friendly themed games and someone suggested Tommy.

#67 5 years ago

Well, Spooky didn't start with TNA, so you ra-ra folks buy this. I'll hope for something better the next go around...

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Believe me I don't. Just thought it was humorous to call a pin about an organization whose business revolves around murder, extortion, prostitution, gambling, drugs etc as family friendly.

At least it's milder than some religious or bible theme.

#69 5 years ago

I don't know what is family friendly these days.

When I was a kid I wanted horror and monster movies and shoot em up TV shows where at least a few people got killed and if there was a card game or gambling involved, even better!

#70 5 years ago

I think the game is pretty, and it looks interesting, but the price isn't.

#71 5 years ago

Yep modern days kids are pretty wrapped into modern culture. My 6 year old wants to be a ninja.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

My 6 year old wants to be a ninja.

Sleep lightly, my friend.

#73 5 years ago

Man what a great surprise! Looks good, basic old school gameplay with some nice modern touches. Interesting what the Pi can do, both currently and in the future. If they open up the programability of it in the future to custom build your own rules that would be nuts. Hopefully it is a success and they will make more games in the future.

#74 5 years ago

looks like its raspberry pi driven? which is pretty cool with the larger board just controlling all the high current ouputs / lamps and probably the switch matrix.

Is that a open source logo top left?

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Reminds me of a thread on a local forum where someone asked for family friendly themed games and someone suggested Tommy.

About 50 years ago a guy named Walt Disney opened a theme park ride called Pirates of the Caribbean where you literally watch robotic pirates sack, pillage, and burn a village.

The idea that “family friendly entertainment” means no violence or innuendo is some new construct from PC culture and helicopter parents.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The retro concept surely can work but it needs a hook.

So are you saying a pirate theme would be better? Well, I do know where you can order one.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#77 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This company has been hovering for some time.
It is not a true pinball "improvement" when a near 40 year old title like Paragon has superior artwork, gameplay, and cost (in above average condition which is less than 1/4 of the MSRP price, including new boards), completely trounces a new pinball design. If I did bit more research I probably could figure out which early SS games they took direct influence to create this game, as it reminds me of a retheme.
My only suggestion to the company is "try harder", if there is a next time. We are approaching an apex of pinball change. It is good to see enthusiasts are getting wiser.
Good luck to TeamPinball, but this is a hard sell, even to new high rollers in the hobby.

There's another important difference: 9,000 Paragons versus 100 Mafias.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

a theme park ride called Pirates of the Caribbean where you literally watch robotic pirates sack, pillage, and burn a village.

And take a wench for a bride! That is kind of the way a lot of families get started even now.

#79 5 years ago

This is also $7500 worth of pinball.

48055B01-ECA6-4560-939F-6A1C8CA65915 (resized).jpeg48055B01-ECA6-4560-939F-6A1C8CA65915 (resized).jpeg

That is my critique on their price point. I’m having a tough time getting myself to shell out for TNA at 6k. And that game is a freaking blast. TNA is the darling because it brought something fresh and distinct. Whereas this looks like a bunch of star posts with rubber between them. I don’t think it’s worth it. But I’ve been wrong before.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This is also $7500 worth of pinball.

But only one I see that I really want to play or look at every day. And you can barely see it. All the way down on the far left end.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I understand, it’s wrong. I set the US price, we got a great overseas shipping quote and originally they factored in taxes which we don’t have to pay in US. The info provided to Martin was incorrect, we literally just finalized things this AM. Price in US is $ 7,500 plus shipping.

The bigger question is, does it come with a tote bag?

#82 5 years ago

Half price, and it would sell like gangbusters.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Using stock analog Raspberry Pi audio is a mistake.

Why's that? Not enough horsepower?

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Half price, and it would sell like gangbusters.

That's where I'm at. I'm loving the overall look and vibe of this game, but at under $5k would be a very tempting price point.

I don't mind losing a few dollars to this hobby, as it's happened more than once when I got the NIB itch, but buying this for $7500 plus whatever takes to get it here and then trying to sell it later if I tire of it, that chunk of change lost might be a bit harder to swallow.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

If only 35 are available in the U.S. I bet they will all sell though, enough collectors out there that want something unique.

For certain. They will sell 35 out fast, just to collectors looking for rarity.

#86 5 years ago

At $5995 id jump in without playing it.

#87 5 years ago

Looks like no multi-ball or did I miss something?

Anyway, if this is the poor folks that got dragged down with the Heighway fiasco, glad to see them making games.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Looks like no multi-ball

Another win! No ball locks or any other useless holes to slow the gameplay action.

#89 5 years ago

Hopefully with their next game they can get costs down and, hopefully, a larger run with lower pricing. Get it to $4999.99 and it would be crazy to see what could happen.

#90 5 years ago

Anyway you slice it this thing is ridiculous.

$8,000 after shipping. For a game with a spinner a bunch of standups and a captive ball.

This thing is basically a stern EM from 1977. Or a bally home version captain fantastic. Either of which you can get for 500 bucks or less.

If Stern tried to pull this you guys would
Form a lynch mob.

It’s a neat idea but the price is outrageous considering you can get an Iron Maiden for $2500 less.

Making Pinball is hard and expensive. And I don’t blame them for wanting money or a sustainable business model. But if you can’t make something this primitive and basic and sell it for under $5,000 and still make a profit, you shouldn’t bother at all.

Also, as it’s made in the UK I’m worried it may leak oil.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Making Pinball is hard and expensive. And I don’t blame them for wanting money or a sustainable business model. But if you can’t make something like and sell it for under $5,000 and still make a profit, you shouldn’t bother at all.

If they sell all 100 machines and make a profit for the company allowing it to reinvest in their next game while also providing a decent salary to their staff why shouldn’t they bother? That makes no sense, sorry to say.

#92 5 years ago

$7500 No Thanks !

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Why's that? Not enough horsepower?

The RPi3 uses the CPU for ethernet, wifi, SD card access and sound, plus no GPU, so having it do any of those things means it's generally overtaxed.

#94 5 years ago

I think it's neat they were able to pull this off out of nowhere, but it certainly seems lacking for the price. Anyone else catch the playfield art being a reverse-printed mylar decal rather than a traditional screened playfield? Hmm...

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Form a lynch mob.

Kinda like what they are doing with Supreme.

Pinside in general may not get it, but not everybody in the pinball world has been hiding under a rock for the last 30 years.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I understand, it’s wrong. I set the US price, we got a great overseas shipping quote and originally they factored in taxes which we don’t have to pay in US. The info provided to Martin was incorrect, we literally just finalized things this AM. Price in US is $ 7,500 plus shipping.

Good luck, I wish them well. But at that price point with little on the PF it won't work for many reasons here in the US. That's why Jetsons didn't sell well.
Stern Beatles will share a similar trend.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anyway you slice it this thing is ridiculous.
$8,000 after shipping. For a game with a spinner a bunch of standups and a captive ball.
This thing is basically a stern EM from 1977. Or a bally home version captain fantastic. Either of which you can get for 500 bucks or less.
Form a lynch mob.
It’s a neat idea but the price is outrageous considering you can get an Iron Maiden for $2500 less.
Making Pinball is hard and expensive. And I don’t blame them for wanting money or a sustainable business model. But if you can’t make something this primitive and basic and sell it for under $5,000 and still make a profit, you shouldn’t bother at all.
Also, as it’s made in the UK I’m worried it may leak oil.

Save your comments, copy and paste for Beatles

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Save your comments, copy and paste for Beatles

I'm just surprised they never tried to squeeze any more out of Elvis.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The RPi3 uses the CPU for ethernet, wifi, SD card access and sound, plus no GPU, so having it do any of those things means it's generally overtaxed.

This is inaccurate. It's a system on a chip so most of those functions are handled by hardware already built in. There is a GPU and it's a major strength of the system.

However the audio from the 3.5mm jack is notorious for not being very clean. Anyone doing a serious audio project with the Pi will use USB or a hardware I2S solution like the Wolfson Pi.

RE: price, well at least they're being realistic. They didn't pull a number out of their ass that ended up being unsustainable later on.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Smoking, sex, guns, crime, mafia... Totally family friendly.
I'm just gonna half-ass think up a no license theme, Dante's Inferno. Retheme this bitch as Dante's Inferno with killer artwork and you've got something better than what you have now.

Make sure to post photos here once you have assed finished the first 10 production models. Us here cannot wait to crap all over whatever you came up with.

Congrats to the Mafia crew, all those who rip on them, shame on you.

There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/team-pinball-mafia-just-revealed/page/2?hl=fantarama and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.