Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I couldn't find anything in my search and perhaps I didn't do it right considering I'm still figuring out the site as a new active user.

I just got my first pin delivered (DE Star Wars 1992) and super excited to introduce it to my kids (4.5yrs and 1.5yrs old). Neither have an idea of what a pinball machine is or the concept of having to pay money to play games.

I thought, hey, this might be a great opportunity to show them (the older one who'd be able to grasp this concept) that things come at a cost and when you run out of quarters, that's the end.

Has anyone taken this approach? Curious how it went and any tips if you did.

#2 2 years ago

Using coins seems to be very popular when I have guests over. I provide the quarters but people seem to enjoy inserting them and hearing the game coin up.
    I like the idea of teaching kids using this method.

#3 2 years ago

It's hypocritical because when you were a kid you played furiously until all your pockets were empty of coins

#4 2 years ago

Think the kids will figure out what a big screw driver can do, when they run out of coins ?

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Think the kids will figure out what a big screw driver can do, when they run out of coins ?

I'm more worried about teeth marks from the 1.5yr old!

#6 2 years ago

I've set my machine to only accept bitcoin to teach the little ones about virtual money.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

I've set my machine to only accept bitcoin to teach the little ones about virtual money.

Gold and silver coins only. Lol.

#8 2 years ago

I like throwing coins in TBL just to hear "Gimme the fuckin money" !

#9 2 years ago

Update: I introduced the pin last night to the kids. My 1.5yr old boy was initially alarmed by all the flashing lights and sounds but warmed up to it.

My 4.5yr old daughter was super excited especially about putting quarters into the machine. After I explained that it takes money to play and that when we’re out we can’t play anymore, she immediately mentioned her piggy bank and not to worry if I run out.

I think it’s prime time to start up her cryptocurrency account, haha!

Next lesson: how to start a business to make money. Or maybe just start with getting a job, haha!

#10 2 years ago

I like using coins too, especially quarters. My slot machine and some of my pinballs take quarters it's just a way of saving money. Kind of like a piggy bank.

#11 2 years ago

My father had a pretty good method for teaching us the value of money.
    It was pretty simple really.
    Other than necessary items like clothes etc., he didn’t buy us a lot of stuff.
    Sure we got toys and thing on Christmas and birthdays, but throughout the rest of the year not so much.
    His theory was “if you want something, then you work and save your money and pay for it yourself”.
    Things like my first real skateboard, Nintendo, comic book collection etc we’re all a bought with my own money that I earned either doing yard work or spending weekends and summers in my dads shop putting postage stamps on envelopes and stuffing envelopes when he was doing a mass mailing.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

His theory was “if you want something, then you work and save your money and pay for it yourself”.

I hope you remembered that speech for his old folks home.

#13 2 years ago

it's all fun and games, 'til you go to sell it and some tire-kicking buyer sees the coin audits and accuses you of lying about it's Home Use Only status, then jumps on pinside to "warn" others about the bad seller @sponjey, making sure to carefully detail the way the conversation went, how much of his precious time you wasted, and how he had to angrily walk away, exclaiming to the group "never again!!!", prompting many other users to chastise your scammy methods, and ask where the seller is to tell his side of the story. all of this unbeknownst to you, because instead of staring at pinside for hours on end, and carefully monitoring the value of your "precious investment", you're being a good parent, bonding with family, and teaching important life lessons, all in the form of playing pinball with your kids.

*i'm totally kidding. i've been planning on doing this exact same thing with my 22 month old when she grows up a little more. It's an awesome idea.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from sponjey:

Hi All,
    This is my first post, so please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I couldn't find anything in my search and perhaps I didn't do it right considering I'm still figuring out the site as a new active user.
    I just got my first pin delivered (DE Star Wars 1992) and super excited to introduce it to my kids (4.5yrs and 1.5yrs old). Neither have an idea of what a pinball machine is or the concept of having to pay money to play games.
    I thought, hey, this might be a great opportunity to show them (the older one who'd be able to grasp this concept) that things come at a cost and when you run out of quarters, that's the end.
    Has anyone taken this approach? Curious how it went and any tips if you did.

Get a coin operated pool table with the coin pusher mech. The sound of the billiard balls dropping to the subway so they can be accessed and racked is priceless. Brings back good memories of the location pool games of my college years.

#15 2 years ago

Under 5 is too young for this method of teaching them about money IMO. If they don't have any income (allowance), they can't really grasp what you're trying to teach them. Your daughter is already willing to empty her piggy bank without thinking about things she may want to buy later.

At that young, the game should be treated as a reward. Stay out of trouble and keep your room mostly clean, play all the pinball you want. Do something wrong or don't pick up all the toys on your floor, no pinball for you.

#16 2 years ago

"I pay the kids' allowance in quarters to do chores - used the same roll of quarters for ten years and never spent another dime!" - 2032 update.

Thread reminded me of this guy:
    https://atlantablackstar.com/2020/05/18/train-up-a-child-north-carolina-father-goes-viral-for-teaching-8-year-old-son-financial-literacy/

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

it's all fun and games, 'til you go to sell it and some tire-kicking buyer sees the coin audits and accuses you of lying about it's Home Use Only status, then jumps on pinside to "warn" others about the bad seller sponjey, making sure to carefully detail the way the conversation went, how much of his precious time you wasted, and how he had to angrily walk away, exclaiming to the group "never again!!!", prompting many other users to chastise your scammy methods, and ask where the seller is to tell his side of the story. all of this unbeknownst to you, because instead of staring at pinside for hours on end, and carefully monitoring the value of your "precious investment", you're being a good parent, bonding with family, and teaching important life lessons, all in the form of playing pinball with your kids.
    *i'm totally kidding. i've been planning on doing this exact same thing with my 22 month old when she grows up a little more. It's an awesome idea.

Man, I was getting scared! Seemed like you were unloading some bad experience, haha!

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Get a coin operated pool table with the coin pusher mech. The sound of the billiard balls dropping to the subway so they can be accessed and racked is priceless. Brings back good memories of the location pool games of my college years.

Would love one of those! I always scoffed at the ones with just the leather bag pockets. Totally takes away from the experience.

#19 2 years ago

Charging your kids to play pinball is the number one way to get them to not play pinball. Enough said on that.

I was in the search for a snack vending maching a bit ago and never found one. Now, that's a way to teach the kids the value of money. If I gave my kids a choice between pinball and a selection of chips. They are going for the chips.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teaching-kids-value-of-money-via-coin-mode?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.