9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YKpinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 9 years ago

This is probably the best thread I've ever read. All great advice here. From the standpoint of an obsessive personality, I can tell you that if you have it in your head that TAF is your grail pin, you will not stop wanting it if you spend $1,000 on a cheap pin to work on. It is rare in this hobby that somebody gets 1 pin and stops there. It definitely won't happen if it isn't a pin you love.

You can't go wrong following the advice of the people above. If it were me though, I would just get my grail pin at any cost and go from there. Once you have that, you can obsess over it while it's in your house. Otherwise you might obsess over how much you wish the pin you bought was TAF and be unhappy with the cheaper one you got. Also, TAF is an easy pin to re-sell if you have to. Much harder to flip a cheap EM or early Solid State, it might sit around for a while.

I also think if you are going to drop 4k + though, there are a lot of good NIB options from Stern that have all modern parts, uniform fuses and are generally easier to work on that the older pins. Plus parts warranty and generally guarantees no problems for a while.

I'm a complete newbie and having a blast with my Metallica Pro doing the simple fixes and LED work. Taking care of a 90's machine is a bit more complicated I think, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

But because of my aforementioned obsessive nature, I also had to get a Shadow or I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. So I can't even listen to my own advice when it comes to something that gets into my head.

If you are like me, just get TAF and don't try to deny your obsessive nature. If you want the best option for someone in your position, my personal suggestion is a NIB Stern pro in the 4.5-5.5k range. If you want to limit your risk and dip your toe into the hobby to test the water, find a sweet firepower, pinbot or high speed, pay a bit extra for a good condition one and enjoy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
$ 1,159.00
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YKpinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teach-me-how-to-buy-my-first-pin?tu=YKpinballer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.