9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MeatWithGravy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello! Been lurking for a bit. I just returned to pinball after a twenty-year hiatus. Glad to be back.

I've never owned a pin, so I don't know the first thing about maintenance or restoration, but I've now got it in my head that I need to own at least one, and I'd like to begin with my all-time grail pin, The Addams Family.

If I were a rich guy, I'd just click over to one of those high-end restoration sites and shell out $11,500 for a perfect TAF. Thing is, that's more than a third of my annual income. I don't know. Perhaps I've got no business getting started in this hobby. Anyway, I've seen less-than-perfect TAFs advertised for $4,000. That's more my speed, but then of course I'd be faced with a fixer-upper. Which is fine, provided I can somehow learn how to do all the work necessary to bring the machine back to semi-pristine.

My questions for the Pinside FOGs are these:

Is my dream of owning an excellent example of The Addams Family without spending a mega fortune a plausible one? I don't mind spending what's required to get a machine with potential. I understand one usually gets what one pays for. It's just that I sure can't afford to overspend, you know? I need to somehow learn the difference.

So, how do I buy my first pin? I've been saving up, I've ordered a copy of Roger C. Sharpe's Pinball! on eBay -- which just arrived! And I've been using the search function to comb Pinside for TAF relevant topics. I'm also reading up at PAPA. What else could I be doing? How do I become a well-educated consumer so that I can buy the best example of TAF that I can afford?

From what I've gathered in my very short time here, price depends much upon the condition of the playfield and cabinet. Damage to the PF, be it magnet burn or wear is not easily fixed, right? I mean, can it be fixed? Once I start looking, should I simply ignore machines with significant PF damage? Is the condition of the playfield the number one concern when shopping for a pin? I've noticed that NOS or reproduction playfields are not easy to come by, not to mention super spendy -- there's a few TAF playfields on eBay right now for $1,800-$2,300. Here's a question, if I want a truly beautiful TAF, would it be nuts to take the whole of my funds currently earmarked for a TAF and dump it into one of those TAF playfields and then build the pin from scratch from the PF out? Is that insane? Could a guy with zero experience even pull off such a thing? Am I thinking about this all wrong?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm obsessed! Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. And Happy Holidays.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

In your case, I would suggest buying a much cheaper WPC game to learn how to work on those types of games. You don't want to learn from your mistakes on your dream machine that is really pushing your budget.

Whoa! You're right! I wouldn't want to make an irreparable mistake while learning on a TAF! I'd feel like throwing myself under a bus.

The whole of your post sounds like solid advice. Thank you. Of course, this would mean I need to find and buy another WPC game to learn on, fix, and sell.

#26 9 years ago

So many thoughtful replies here, some good advice contradicting other good advice! Thanks for all the input, fellas.

Despite the fact that I'm not a great player, I'm thinking of assembling a ragtag team to compete in the local pinball league, mainly to meet other pinheads who I hope will be willing to tudor me in the hobby locally.

I'll keep you posted on my pin progress.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MeatWithGravy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teach-me-how-to-buy-my-first-pin?tu=MeatWithGravy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.