Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TBL price poll”

• I'm a solid buyer up to $4500 25 votes
      30%
    • I'm a solid buyer up to $5500 19 votes
      23%
    • I'm a solid buyer up to $6500 19 votes
      23%
    • I'm a solid buyer up to $7500 7 votes
      8%
    • I'm a solid buyer at $8500 13 votes
      16%

(83 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

Please only vote if you are a buyer at a reasonable price. Do not pollute the poll if you wouldn't buy due to theme or just not a fan.

I'm a pre-order buyer at $6500 anything north I'm out. Where's your cutoff?

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_in_NC:

Kind of a skewed poll, of course I am a buyer at $4,500, I am in on the pre-order and will determine if I am willing to pay $8,500 once I see the game come together. If I had to drop $8,500 right now with no opportunity for a refund then of course I am out and I am sure most would be as well. That's the beauty of refundable money. If the pin turns out to be everything I think it can with an amazing theme that I definitely love then I am ok with $8,500, cheaper is always better but unfortunately I don't get to choose that.

I am curious of your stance on that price at $6,500, is that because of the theme, I see you have the Hobbit pre-ordered so it that just a more liked theme for you?

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_in_NC:

Same or slightly lower ($6000)

#4 10 years ago

I have history with JJP being a WoZ buyer. I see the value there and TH will surely be sellable should I not like it.

Quoted from bemmett: I see you have the Hobbit pre-ordered so it that just a more liked theme for you?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_in_NC:

I see you have the Hobbit pre-ordered so it that just a more liked theme for you?

But you sold WOZ already? So is your real stance that you will pay JJP cause you feel you can get your money back no matter what? Kind of an over-assumption if you ask me. But again that's why I say this poll is all speculative, no one has a clue what will come of the Big Lebowski or the quality of the machine, until I see and know more I can't say what I'd pay for it or not pay for it.

#6 10 years ago

This poll is not very useful. Unless you have a lot of extra income or are 100% for TBL from the start the final outcome of the pin will determine what value to put on it and what people are willing to pay. This could turn out to be a very basic pin with a LCD/DMD thus making the value to the average pin buyer a 4-5k pin. If it is feature rich like JJP and new Stern LE's then 8k to those buyers +. It is just too early to tell without any layout or specifics.

#7 10 years ago

It's an opinion poll, take it for what it's worth. It may well blow us away and top JJPs latest effort and be worth the ask but for what I know today and how it's been sold, I'm a buyer at $6500.

#8 10 years ago

I was in up to $5500 but not sure about $8500
    with no LE and the only advantage to locking in now is to get an early, most likely glitchy first available, I will wait until I see more to decide.
    Would have to sell a game to fund the difference.
    Love the theme but price is more important.

Will the internet sales tax be instituted by the time it ships? That will kill us pinheads.

#9 10 years ago

I would be more in if it were jjp making it, or it was being made in the good ol USA or if it was physically available from a USA importer in real time.

#10 10 years ago

By my crude interpretation of the results, 3 out of 4 buyers are out on price. If it were 2K less there would be 4X as many sold.

#11 10 years ago

TBL is a dream theme for me, but it turns out that theme doesn't matter as much to me as other aspects of a pin. I've never seen a full episode of STTNG (and it seems pretty dorky) but I love the pin. I didn't know Iron Man was a comic until the first movie came out, and IM is my favorite. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will have to see a lot more before I even consider spending $8500+ on a pinball machine.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_in_NC:

By my crude interpretation of the results, 3 out of 4 buyers are out on price. If it were 2K less there would be 4X as many sold.

Let's say that at $6000 I would have been a potential waiting for more info...

#13 10 years ago

I'm partially interested, but not a hardcore fan. I'd need to know more about the machine before committing the money. At this point, $0.

#14 10 years ago

6.5 is what I would go after seeing the game.
    I am not about to do a preorder, people keep saying it is refundable but that is pure speculation.
    I was expecting the rug to come off and see a prototype or at least a mock up not just a payment schedule.
    The big reveal was basically a non event, a WTF moment then I laughed.
    That was about the extent of it for me.

#15 10 years ago

I have pre-ordered and am ok at $8500...$10k and I think I would have seen the hairy eyeball from the wife.

A few things for me...
    1) TBL is a dream theme for me, so I am just happy to see it being made

2) since it is a dream theme, I am hoping that the $8500 provides us with a first class pin, full of features, technology, LCD, etc. We have seen what $8-9k will get you with JJP. If DP does not come to the plate with a game that is on par with JJP, they will be starting off on rocky soil. If they step up, and make a game as good as or better than what JJP is making, then its a win-win for both of us. We have a new player in pinball manufacturing and a great game to play.
    3) A stripped down "pro" model may not be the message they want to send. I am sure they can build it, but hoping they want to make a statement and show what they can do. Also, a stripped down pro is not what I would want in a title like this.

Some dudes are ok driving an old truck to work.(I have one) Some like a Cadillac. With a title like this I am wiliing to spend a little more to get a Cadillac. And from what I have read I have confidence that DP can pull this off. If they don't, they could be a one and done manufacturer. On that note, I have more confidence with DP doing this then Stern. If Stern was to make this title and came up short, i.e. cheap price, pro type model, etc...Stern may not go under....but if DP fails, their ship could sink on the spot. More pressure is on DP to come to the plate than a company like Stern. With saying that, I only wish the best of luck for DP to knock it out of the park!

#16 10 years ago

this poll is silly, we don't have any idea what the game will contain yet. It is likely literally impossible for them to produce the pin for less at the specs it will contain (lcd, interactive toys, color changing leds, etc). They probably have a good idea of what will be in the game, its probably further along than we've been shown and the price reflects what it will cost.

Probably a better poll would be if someone would be willing to buy a stripped down version for less, with dmd instead of lcd, ironman layout, etc.

#17 10 years ago

Color changing LED's=300 max
    LCD Monitor = 300 max
    Interactive Toys = Lets shoot high and say 800-1000 per game
    I don't see where the rest of the money is? If they build a 1000 of these, the above prices will drop as well due to buying in volume. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't make money off there investment ( hey wait, they are using customers $$$$ to finance their project ) but to say that they couldn't build it for less is kinda funny. Stern can pump out Pro Models for 5K with toys; all they are missing is the LCD for another 3.5K? I have no idea what the mark up is on these and don't really care but if you think that DP isn't making a mint off these at 8500.00, your in denial.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

LCD Monitor = 300 max

This has been exhaustively discussed in other threads. The LCD monitor is the least of the expense when going with this technology.

#19 10 years ago

I'm in at 8500.

Yes, it would be great to grab this theme at 4500, but since it's the first production pin from a smaller company, the 4500 price point is unrealistic. Stern & JJP really don't have anything coming down the pipe that I'm remotely interested in for the next year or so anyway and I've owned or played 99 of the Pinside100 so I'm not interested in buying in that arena. Perhaps I've become jaded in my views of the hobby and I'm looking for something to rekindle the fire. TBL or Predator may fill that need as I hang out in stationary orbit throughout 2014. Honestly though, I've lowered my expectations with both of these titles.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I'm in at 8500.
    Yes, it would be great to grab this theme at 4500, but since it's the first production pin from a smaller company, the 4500 price point is unrealistic. Stern & JJP really don't have anything coming down the pipe that I'm remotely interested in for the next year or so anyway and I've owned or played 99 of the Pinside100 so I'm not interested in buying in that arena. Perhaps I've become jaded in my views of the hobby and I'm looking for something to rekindle the fire. TBL or Predator may fill that need as I hang out in stationary orbit throughout 2014. Honestly though, I've lowered my expectations with both of these titles.

Starfighter...are you expetations lower than the fit and finish of a WOZRRLE? Mine is not. Frankly I expect better. These guys know that first impressions are big in this industry. POB 2.0 was a taste of what they can do, and what I have seen, they are talented. If they slop something out, it will be there last, and they know it. I am excited to see them take on the challenge.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

Starfighter...are you expetations lower than the fit and finish of a WOZRRLE? Mine is not. Frankly I expect better. These guys know that first impressions are big in this industry. POB 2.0 was a taste of what they can do, and what I have seen, they are talented. If they slop something out, it will be there last, and they know it. I am excited to see them take on the challenge.

I agree with you that TBL has the potential to be a grand slam and DP can/must pull it off if they are to join the ranks of Stern and JJP. However, there are so many directions a designer can take Lebowski with gameplay that it is possible to miss the mark. I'm optimistic, but realistic so I'll keep my opinion in check until the flow of information opens up a bit. As far as Predator... I have my deposit in, but I no longer follow that thread. When that game finally starts production, I'll get excited again.

#22 10 years ago

I expect no less than an 5-star quality pin. There are no cut corners at $8500. DP will need to demonstrate that to us.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I expect no less than an 5-star quality pin. There are no cut corners at $8500. DP will need to demonstrate that to us.

5-star would be great, but it took 3 years for JJP to develop the new patients for WOZ. DP's timeline of 2Q 2015 and their statement of "Williams Parts" gives me a clearer indication of what to expect.

#24 10 years ago

They always have options.

Even though they are only making one model, no LE's or any of that, lets say TBL is an incredible pin that gets a ton of praise. Nothing says that DP can't drop a few things and make a "pro" model a year or two later. They hold the cards and can do what they want.

Thats fine with me if they do. I would still want this model.

#25 10 years ago

Well, if we use these boutique benchmarks using off the shelf parts:

Predator $4750
    America's Most Haunted $6250

AMH has a major interactive toy that tracks the ball, over Predator. Plus Hellavator, wood ramps, so for me it can be argued AMH has more value over Predator to justify the extra price. both are done by small crews with low overhead. Both are DMDs.

Now it comes to does TBL have $2k worth of extra stuff over AMH? I'd say good chance. I'm excited. I'm also glad not to pay in full today , which I would not do.

#26 10 years ago

Don't forget JPOP wants 10k for his

#27 10 years ago

I believe some of these games, MMR, Predator, WoZ, BHZA etc,.. Would have been better served with a 3 month lead time like Mustang or STLE where with MMR for example people were hot to trot at first but waiting 6+ months or 18 months for Hobbit might drop off. I bet a bit of people have been on MMR or Hobbit but if they got STLE in the meantime might be out of room or cash by the time the product is ready.

I am sure some people will drop off MMR or drop off The Hobbit not wanting 2 year wait.

#28 10 years ago

I look at this way. A brand new LOTR in 2003 cost $3850 (or less).

With inflation it would be $4878 today. And that was one of the best pins ever made (According to most).

So I really don't know where these $6500-8500 new pin prices are coming from?

$4500 would be TOPS....and I would pay that if it turned out to be a good game.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I look at this way. A brand new LOTR in 2003 cost $3850 (or less).
    With inflation it would be $4878 today. And that was one of the best pins ever made (According to most).
    So I really don't know where these $6500-8500 new pin prices are coming from?

Isn't the STLE around $7k? That question might be for Gary? He made both

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Well, if we use these boutique benchmarks using off the shelf parts:
    Predator $4750
    America's Most Haunted $6250
    AMH has a major interactive toy that tracks the ball, over Predator. Plus Hellavator, wood ramps, so for me it can be argued AMH has more value over Predator to justify the extra price. both are done by small crews with low overhead. Both are DMDs.
    Now it comes to does TBL have $2k worth of extra stuff over AMH? I'd say good chance. I'm excited. I'm also glad not to pay in full today , which I would not do.

I think one difference is that though SkitB and Ben Heck both put lots of time and effort in their games (and well done as well), DP wants to have things even more professionally with sounds, animation, etc. I'm not saying I that's needed, that's for everyone to decide themselves, but I do think that DP wants to have a higher standard in sound and animation (and maybe rules as well) than i.e. Stern, Ben Heck, SkitB or some others. That's a guess (based on previous conversations combined with the team they have gathered now). Besides that, we don't know what'll be on the playfield. I think Ben Heck indeed has done a great job having a few very nice and partially interactive toys integrated (better than a lot of the Sterns), let's wait to see what the TBL pinball will bring.
    I think someday the DP-guys will chime in themselves after the first 'storm' of responses has decreased and/or there's progress to be shown. A lot of our (including mine) comments of what we think might happen, are just 'good guesses'......

#31 10 years ago

OMG. I open this thread to see a few people stating the poll is skewed? Seriously?

We've seen people drop deposits or pay in full for BHZA, WOZ, Predator, Hobbit and now TBL and some of you think this poll is wrong? It's directional. Why so defensive to see the results? Doubt it will change DP which is ok, just interesting to see directional thinking.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

I think Ben Heck indeed has done a great job having a few very nice and partially interactive toys integrated (better than a lot of the Sterns), let's wait to see what the TBL pinball will bring.

Ben Heck is a very cool dude and some of his past pinball efforts have been pretty cool. I tip my hat. But, I played AMH at Expo and unfortunately did nothing for me. In fact, I enjoyed his Bill Paxton pin more. Not sure I can give him a medal for beating Stern on incorporating toys. If the teeter tawter in BDK is ridiculed why not the elevator? (Personally think both are cool).

DP guys showed in BOP 2.0 they have the chops to code and program dots at a high professional level. No question. I would love to see them go after upgrades for more games then designing a new pin - but hey - anything they do will be cool to watch. I wish them great luck.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I agree with you that TBL has the potential to be a grand slam and DP can/must pull it off if they are to join the ranks of Stern and JJP. However, there are so many directions a designer can take Lebowski with gameplay that it is possible to miss the mark. I'm optimistic, but realistic so I'll keep my opinion in check until the flow of information opens up a bit. As far as Predator... I have my deposit in, but I no longer follow that thread. When that game finally starts production, I'll get excited again.

Yeah I am more an Iron Man/AC/DC type of pinball fan so I hope this isn't too "WOZ-y" with a bit more flow. I have started to play more Spiderman and it's pretty cool but I guess I like these faster machines. I'm in regardless but definitely hope it's a bit flow-y

#34 10 years ago

To all the pinball machine manufacturers, no more pre-orders for me. And I don't think the pinball market can continue to support $8,000 machines. That is not in the range of "fun money".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-price-poll-how-much-money-is-being-left-off-the-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.