(Topic ID: 85390)

The Big Lebowski Playfield Layout...discuss?

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,405 posts
  • 218 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

marmot.JPG
TBL_Rug2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Geerts Balls.JPG
TBL J.JPG
kahlua_kamora.png
giphy.gif
playfieldPopulated1.png.jpeg
playfieldPopulated2.png.jpeg
2014-09-22 newRail.png
TBL_Rug.jpg
image-189.jpg
nails-1.jpg
image-413.jpg
bowling_01.png
dude.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#519 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

^^^ ...how boring it's going to get shooting at balling pin targets?!

It doesn't have to just be a matter of trying to get a strike every time. Hopefully, you'll be required to pick up different pin combinations as well per the software and levels achieved in the game.

1 week later
#576 9 years ago

The word on the street is that DP is looking to work in a spinner with the Jackie Treehorn doodle on it.

#640 9 years ago

Cool pins.
a449625e-ecf5-43b0-98ad-69ed6e6aa39e.jpega449625e-ecf5-43b0-98ad-69ed6e6aa39e.jpeg

#665 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

anyone else worried they suck too much at playing for that right ramp? it looks far off to the right, more like an outer loop shot, yet has to also have enough oomph to make it up the ramp. Think it will be hard to make from a cradle?

I'm not a great pinball player, but why worry about a ramp shot on a playfield design that hasn't been revealed in its final form yet?

#668 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I guess on a few fronts:
1) Something to talk about to stay out of the rain of WOZ and MMR threads
2) They have gotten as far as milling out some playfields with the arrow way over there, so it's somewhat firm.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/13#post-1812653
3) These guys haven't done this specific aspect of a game before.. setting up things for make-able shots. In my naive view of things, that ramp looks hard from the angle and from having to make the ramp at that extreme angle? If someone said "oh this is just like game X, and there's no problems with that"
4) I suck I put some time on IJ this weekend specifically because I stuck at the right ramp, let alone hitting the outer loops (that is widebody, maybe hitting the right ramp in IJ is just like hitting a TBL right ramp?). I know the outer loops on IJ i can't do from a cradle.. the ball has to have some oomph on it.

I hear what you're saying regarding IJ; I have the same challenges with the right ramp. I'm feeling confident that the boys at DP will come through with a thoroughly playable design though and as such, I'm not worried regarding the playfield layout. That said, TBL is worthy of as much discussion as can be mustered - so keep on posting!

1 month later
#728 9 years ago

I'm not a TWD watcher (yet), but the game does look pretty cool from the photos and I look forward to playing it. That said, I'm confident that TBL will be even cooler and I look forward to owning it!

TBL will have its day in the sun.

- Tim

2 weeks later
#825 9 years ago

tick tock ... looking forward to more cool disclosures ... anxiety building!

#982 9 years ago

Cool mech video, but raised additional questions as well. Presumably, the final operation will result in more independent pin action and challenge. I'm confident that it will, given the importance of this feature and DP's demonstrated attention to detail so far.

In the meantime, "This is our concern Dude."

#987 9 years ago

Anyone know where the "right inner ramp" (Jesus lane) leads to?

TBL right.jpgTBL right.jpg

#988 9 years ago

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1013 9 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Not meant to derail the thread, but I had to share this awesome table, made from a reclaimed bowling lane and bowling pins! Sure would look great with a rug beneath it and the TBL pin next to it. It'd definitely tie the room together.

image-862.jpg 36 KB

Hmmm.

Like the top - not the legs.

#1027 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

21 pages in and I just stopped by for the first time....
Holly Crap this game looks fantastic! Way better than I thought it would be.....better than TWD, better than The Hobbit, better than MMr.......etc......
This thing actually looks like it (for the first time in a long time) might be worth the asking price!
That mini bowling alley is cool as hell! The features, layout....fantastic! If the code pulls it altogether (pun intended) then this thing will......will......well it will be really good!

Welcome to the show man!

#1071 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Back when Machines cost less , they were selling a ton more. So they could make back all the stuff rarehero just listed in a long manufacturing run. This is already an obscure title so it isn't going to sell like hot cakes. Even though the run here is "unlimited" I doubt we'll see a serial # over 300. So hopefully the $8500 keeps them all fed and covers the bills in that kind of quantity.

Speaking as a pre-orderer, one can only hope that the production is limited to 300 max. Given the high quality of the game delivered so far, I don't see that happening though. I think this game will catch fire - regardless of the $8,500 price tag. If not, the better for us that will own one!

- Tim

#1134 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

What's people’s opinion on how well the 'bowling lane' will work out in terms of a good toy? I'm struggling to work out how a player would score a spare from a 7/10 split for example... Or even if a gutterball will be possible... I'm worried it will end up being a frustrating/annoying gimmick rather than really adding something excellent to the game...

From the brief videos I saw of this mechanism it didn't seem possible to get even a strike... It may be similar to a puck bowler indeed... was a strike possible on those by the way?

I'm anxious to see how well the bowling mechanism works as well. As a collector of bowling games, and given the mech's prominent location within the playfield, I'm definitely looking for it to be a key element rather than just a novelty or conversation item. Based on what I've seen from DP so far, I have confidence in their ability to maximize the gameplay value on this unique (for a pinball game) feature though.

As far as how well it will replicate realistic pin action compared to other bowling games will be interesting to see. Like the MBA and Bowl-A-Rama big ball bowlers, generally considered to be the ultimate bowling games because the ball actually contacts the pins, the TBL mech will have pins independently connected at the top. Picking up a 7-10 split on the former is, unfortunately, near impossible due to the restrained pin movement that occurs. This is overcome on puck bowlers and other big ball bowlers by allowing the split to be picked up by rolling the ball or puck over a single small contact, amongst the numerous others, on the alley surface under the pins. A common complaint about puck bowlers (as opposed to ball bowlers) from many collectors though is that they're actually too easy to score strikes on in general. If you were lucky enough to catch DP's quickly pulled developmental video of TBL's bowling mech, you would have seen that strikes seemed to be occurring way too easily as well. This should not be the case in it's final version though since the "shooter" mech will likely be rotating back and forth at different speeds and DP may be incorporating sensors and/or software to help produce more realistic pin reactions.

In any case, here's hoping that actual gameplay video footage will reveal many answers soon!

- Tim

1 week later
#1286 9 years ago

The only way I can see for them to be able to do this is if they add a proximity sensor at either side of the rack of pins (mounted in the side wall probably), and if the ball is close enough to the sensor AND it hits the 7 of 10 pin, then it would retract the opposite pin, so you would really have to hit the pin on the outer edge as in real life...
So when you saw the strike, do you know if the pins physically contacted adjacent pins to knock the 'up', or was there some fancy electronics that timed the hitting of pins to simulate the scatter of the stuck pins and then the game automatically retracted the pins that weren't actually hit (but would have been if the pins were loose!)?
I'd love it if this bowling lane was a realistic as possible!!

The pins don't hit one another.

1 week later
#1337 9 years ago

Anyway, my question was, is it possible to leave a 7/10 split, not to collect one... Did anyone see a 7/10 split (or ANY split) being left?
If the ball is too big to fit between the 7 and 10 pins without hitting at least one of 'em, then I guess the answer is no... but I haven't seen the game in action...
Apparently they have some graphics connected with a 7/10 split, so logically it would make sense that it's actually possible to at least LEAVE a split...

Sure looks possible to leave a 7-10 split. Picking it up will be questionable though.

#1341 9 years ago

That video didn't show a split being left... it also didn't show a strike being made... I think the ball used in that video is smaller than the one they had in the game at EXPO, to make strikes possible at EXPO... That's just speculation based on previous comments in this topic... the question is, did anyone see a split being left at EXPO?

The point I was trying to convey is that the ball will definitely fit between the 7 and 10 pins without hitting either. This was the case with the prototype games at Expo as well. To be otherwise, would be like bowling with a beach ball.

#1352 9 years ago

I agree that in the video the ball used will definitely allow a split to be left, but how will THIS ball make a strike?

Through the magic of electronic circuitry and software.

You seem to be overly concerned with the bowling mech and in particular, the ball size vs. the pin spread width. Rest assured, strikes will be scored and splits will be possible. If you were lucky enough to have seen DP's test video (which was pulled from YouTube shortly after it was posted by a third party) you'd have seen strikes being scored too easily.

Have faith in DP's ability to create a fun and challenging bowling game. Just, take it easy man.

2 weeks later
#1355 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

So, that means that using something like the custom-painted balls shown before (the ones that got stolen) would be possible for the bowling alley. Those things looked amazing.

That's a mod I'll definitely make when available and if not already included with the game.

2 months later
#1365 9 years ago

Speaking as an "early achiever", I am pleased with the final playfield!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

15,000 (OBO)
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts?tu=tuna_delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.