(Topic ID: 85390)

The Big Lebowski Playfield Layout...discuss?

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,405 posts
  • 218 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

marmot.JPG
TBL_Rug2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Geerts Balls.JPG
TBL J.JPG
kahlua_kamora.png
giphy.gif
playfieldPopulated1.png.jpeg
playfieldPopulated2.png.jpeg
2014-09-22 newRail.png
TBL_Rug.jpg
image-189.jpg
nails-1.jpg
image-413.jpg
bowling_01.png
dude.jpg
There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 29.
#251 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Sorry, by the way the thread was trending I thought the drawing of the Dude and Walter bowling were pulled off of a DP-related site.

No worries. Yeah they haven't posted anything I know of to hint at art direction, other than artist which unfortunately is a little concerning

#252 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yes...I hope hge can change it up to look more adult like the Stout guy...seriously this could kill it for me.

Yeah me too... And I so want this game. The Tyler stout style seems perfect. His poster collage also hits all the right notes too.. It would really tie the pin together

#253 9 years ago

Freek has skills look at the justus section on his homepage.

I'm guessing he will pull out all stops as this machine will give him an international viewing of his talents.

#254 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Freek has skills look at the justus section on his homepage.
I'm guessing he will pull out all stops as this machine will give him an international viewing of his talents.

OK Yeah the Justus stuff has some elements that could work. That movie is definitely adult / a bit heavy for first thing in the morning (PSA against sex trafficing of minors). And I don't want my comments to sound like I don't like the guys work, his stuff looks awesome. Just wishing I could look at his portfolio there and see some styles that seem TBL appropriate.

#255 9 years ago

What DP showed so far is outstanding and probably for most better than expected. Therefore it's wise not to downtalk design elements which have not been showed. Wait and see my friend!

#256 9 years ago

Yep. I will leave it at that something in the vein of Tyler Stout TBL poster style/collage elements is what would be "outstanding" for me. Not saying I won't like something else but as far as existing takes on TBL out in the wild right now, that's "it". Yesterday I saw an example of something I really didn't like (the unrelated cartoon) so thought useful to chat about what we like or don't.

#257 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

The guy does great work, just wondering how this translates.

Candy-Factory-color-def.jpg 147 KB

I'm going to go out on a limb and posit that he'll approach the Lebowski commission a little differently than the pretty princess candy factory job.

#258 9 years ago

According to the dude that met them at MGC, He said (in the preorder thread) that he caught a look at the playfield art. So based on that, my conclusion is that its already done. I don't know shit, so take that for what its worth....just mentioning what he posted.

What I do know is that they are doing this by the book. Rest assured that nothing is being released until they have all approvals needed.

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I'm going to go out on a limb and posit that he'll approach the Lebowski commission a little differently than the pretty princess candy factory job.

True. Picked that out as a extreme example. However, if you peruse his entire online portfolio there is a certain style that seems to carry through that is more animated cartoon (like pretty princess candy factory) than the stuff I am finding that I like (more line art I guess). I am no artist so I don't know how easy or hard it is to switch gears. The Justus public service announcement on there gets pretty close though and i didn't see that originally.

I would however easily trust this artist to do kick ass BBB2

BTW here's the March 25th NSNL just cause it pertains.. so yeah whatever is done is done at this point, short of universal wanting to negotiate some points.

A First Look Just for You! -We’ve sent the cabinet design, translite, and several other images to Universal for approval, and received an email that they are reviewing our latest submissions today. We realize that it has taken longer than we had expected, and we are very sorry for the delay. In addition to the normal approval channels, we have to get “positional approval” from talent to make sure we’re not putting a character in the wrong place. We’re being extra cautious because we don’t want to do anything to jeopardize the license (or piss off the actors).

#260 9 years ago

just a random thought...anything they use that is remotely attached to the movie has got to be approved. (i.e. the dude's image on their facebook page (500 likes)....Sam Elliot in the picture behind the models in the VIP picture, maybe even the shot of Jesus at the bowling alley on their facebook page as well)

I think that these images will be used somewhere on the game. I don't think that they would go through all of the approvals and not use those images somewhere on the game.

What I invision is artist rendering on the playfield with the BG 'photo type'...but I also think that with them having the same guy on board that did the LCD graphics on WOZ, there will be an LCD in the backbox, bringing in movie clips as certain targets/modes are achieved.

#263 9 years ago

Is that an upper left flipper under number 9?
Looks like it could easily send the ball smashing into the left ramp.

3 weeks later
#264 9 years ago

just got this in the mail. Guess it's like the fake fruit/drinks at the furniture / decore stores?

unnamed.jpgunnamed.jpg

#265 9 years ago

i like how it lights up - looks pretty sweet - now I'm thirsty!

#266 9 years ago

From the looks of things they're much further along than I previously thought. Playfield texture looks like a bowling lane, that's a surprise.....not! Keep it coming DP, looking good!

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from genex:

i like how it lights up - looks pretty sweet - now I'm thirsty!

Quoted from taz:

From the looks of things they're much further along than I previously thought. Playfield texture looks like a bowling lane, that's a surprise.....not! Keep it coming DP, looking good!

How is this not just a rendering?

#268 9 years ago

yeah i wouldn't read too much into the play field scheme just yet as they can paint things any way they want in the rendering software.

#269 9 years ago

Hey man, there's a beverage in my game.

#270 9 years ago

I received the same email and its gotta be just for fun. Air balls could get trapped in it.

Kim

#271 9 years ago

What would be cool, but probably a maintenance nightmare is if the liquid drained out and in via some kind of pump or solenoid activated syringe.

Never mind, see below: I missed the video link. I love lamp.

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I received the same email and its gotta be just for fun. Air balls could get trapped in it.
Kim

Not if they make it right....

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

I dunno.. It is clearly in mystery spot #5. I'm sure if the ice / liquid was a bit closer to the rim / ice sticking out a hair above the rim in actuality, it can keep airballs out. Hopefully it doesnt end up behind a giant sneeze guard.

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Not if they make it right....

Agreed. More ice and liquid to top it off. Maybe the playfield glass is low enough to it.... But the way it looks now a couple of balls could go in there.

Kim

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

How is this not just a rendering?

the video of the prototype shows it lighting up so i assume it will on the real thing

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#276 9 years ago

Whoops.. Missed the link this week. Its Friday, long week.

#277 9 years ago

can anyone see what's going on at the end of the video? Feel like there might be something there but I'm off to PHX in a sec!

#278 9 years ago

Man...are u f-ing kidding me??? That looks incredible. Love the style. Smmmmoking dude!

#279 9 years ago

Careful man there's a beverage here!!

Cant wait to get this machine!!!

#280 9 years ago

This is pure conjecture so go easy Pinside. I swear sometimes around here....

It would be cool if that glass was somehow the tilt mechanism. If it really had liquid and splashed too close to the top or an ice cube sloshed into the side from nudging. More realistically, a fake ice cube standing on a spring/wire in the center of an empty glass...

I've often thought of how an on playfield tilt mech you could see and interact with would be exciting.

Kim

#281 9 years ago
Quoted from genex:

can anyone see what's going on at the end of the video? Feel like there might be something there but I'm off to PHX in a sec!

Yeah I looked too but .. prob a back glass.. but.. yeah who knows. Just trying to mess with us I say . If it is a TBL backglass, not a color pallet I would of guessed from the impressionist painting we have here. I am thinking back now to the original viral flyer print out that was very 'rug' color .. reds/purples. Hrm. As a rorschach test, I'd say cactus canyon.

mystery.pngmystery.png

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from genex:

the video of the prototype shows it lighting up so i assume it will on the real thing
» YouTube video

I was specifically talking about the image. That's a rendering. There was no video then.

#283 9 years ago

If I really reach.. I see other stuff in here too. Unfortunately I don't see [the] Jesus. While I am speculating like crazy, then I'd say the entire art style/vibe matches that of the rug flyer (not totally surprising).

mystery2.pngmystery2.png

#284 9 years ago

randomly today while cleaning up a bit i found the original flyer i got at Pinball Expo last year. Guess I will keep it and put it somewhere into my machine when it arrives

#285 9 years ago

hmmm white russian - now that's a drink

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

hmmm white russian - now that's a drink

+100, always been my favorite drink

#287 9 years ago

Rusty Nail here, but White Russians are damned good.

#288 9 years ago

Too much white, do they make brown leds?

#289 9 years ago

Perhaps the final glass will be tinted white russian color acrylic

#290 9 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

I saw this movie three times before recognizing Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Brandt).
I hope they can shoehorn in a few lines from him.

This is our concern Dude.

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Too much white, do they make brown leds?

It's a proof of concept dude. Of course it'll be colored correctly on release.

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is pure conjecture so go easy Pinside. I swear sometimes around here....
It would be cool if that glass was somehow the tilt mechanism. If it really had liquid and splashed too close to the top or an ice cube sloshed into the side from nudging. More realistically, a fake ice cube standing on a spring/wire in the center of an empty glass...
I've often thought of how an on playfield tilt mech you could see and interact with would be exciting.
Kim

Agree, it would be cool if the glass did something other than light up.

#293 9 years ago

Exclusive Spy Photo revealed:

Here is a shot taken where it looks like Barry and Jaap are testing the effects of the White Russian toy on a WOZ Playfield. Nothing better than doing some field testing before production.

POC White Russian.JPGPOC White Russian.JPG
#294 9 years ago

One other random thought....if they are not able to use music tracks from the movie, the youtube video release with the caucasion may be giving us a hint as to what the music may be for the game.

// Error: Image 252623 not found //
#295 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

One other random thought....if they are not able to use music tracks from the movie, the youtube video release with the caucasion may be giving us a hint as to what the music may be for the game.

I hadn't caught wind of this rumor yet. What's the veracity of it, because, man, a Cohen brothers movie, WITHOUT the sound track?!

That's... that's a bummer, man.

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Barry and Jaap are testing the effects of the White Russian on a WOZ Playfield.

Ah so the wizard also likes his caucasians. At least it would help with GI

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I hadn't caught wind of this rumor yet. What's the veracity of it, because, man, a Cohen brothers movie, WITHOUT the sound track?!
That's... that's a bummer, man.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Creedence.

Joking aside, music licensing is weird; they might be able to have instrumental versions of stuff without huge licensing fees or even get some of the original recordings reasonably. I can't imagine there's a huge demand for CCR back catalog, and it's not like they need anything from the fucking Eagles.

#298 9 years ago

If you have a licence to do a specific movie, that licence is all inclusive is it not? This is something the studios would have negotiated upfront with any independent musicians. A portion of any licencing fee would then be distributed per that agreement.

This is difficult to believe.

Kim

Edit: I will use the song "Long Tall Sally" in the Predator game as an example.

#299 9 years ago

If that was the case TRON would have an all Daft Punk soundtrack instead of just the 3 songs.

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

If that was the case TRON would have an all Daft Punk soundtrack instead of just the 3 songs.

I guess it would depend on the individual studio agreement then. Or maybe Stern got a cheaper licence agreement that way. I seriously doubt Skit B negotiated and paid Little Richard extra for use of his song.

Kim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.