(Topic ID: 85390)

The Big Lebowski Playfield Layout...discuss?

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,405 posts
  • 218 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

marmot.JPG
TBL_Rug2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Geerts Balls.JPG
TBL J.JPG
kahlua_kamora.png
giphy.gif
playfieldPopulated1.png.jpeg
playfieldPopulated2.png.jpeg
2014-09-22 newRail.png
TBL_Rug.jpg
image-189.jpg
nails-1.jpg
image-413.jpg
bowling_01.png
dude.jpg
There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from Phil-DP-USA:

Thanks for posting this, taz.
You guys can also add [email protected] to your contacts list -- I'll always send out the NSNs and VIP-NSNs from my own email address, so readers can reply directly to me. (I hate those fake "no-reply" email addresses -- If I'm mailing you, you should be able to email me back.)
Take it easy dude -- I know that you will,
Phil
P.S. Impressive knowledge of the movie in your other post, man.

"Your phone's ringing dude"

#202 9 years ago

My brother said it should have a naked chick flying over the pf waving her arms and the led gi should change color like she's splashing paint on it.

#203 9 years ago

Having this bowling mini-pf licensed by Brunswick is actually a pretty slick move...that puts this game on Brunswick's radar. Bowling alleys WILL know about this game and I have to imagine tons would want to buy it just on principal.

#204 9 years ago

I wonder if the lower alley is basically just going to be the world's coolest analog display and the actual calculation for the bowling shots will be done by software (won't call it a "video mode" because it would be way more than that.) It seems like a 18" long bowler is kind of a waste of effort in terms of playability, although the tech is neat.

#205 9 years ago

18" would be generous I think just based on the photos.. imagining more like 8". As long as they don't cut something else cause they spent too much time messing with the bowler getting it to work then more interactive toys then better. Since they have it working in prototype 1 year before shipping, I'm stoked.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I really like the sub-playfield but I am starting to have some concerns. Let me first say that these my be completely unfounded as they are based on very little information. After watching the vid several dozen times now, I am a bit worried about how the mech is going to work. In the prototype footage, It looks like the pins are just arbitrarily raising when the ball strikes a certain spot. And isn't this the only way this could work given the fixed nature of the pins. In real bowling, throwing a strike depends on many factors, not the least of which are the physics involved in the random scattering of the free moving pins. My concern is that the only way a "strike" will be possible with fixed pins is if the ball hits a specific pin that is programmed to then raise the rest of the pins. If that is the case, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, then the sub-playfield will get old pretty quick as there can't possibly be that much distance between the cannon and the pins, making the shot very easy to learn and repeat. Again, not trying to crap on the concept and DP may have this all worked out, just some thoughts.

I like to think of it like Congo. Do you really want to try to play a bowling game accurately all day in the lower pf or just try to get them all "down" within 10 seconds? The Congo gorilla is a great example of something that doesn't have to be spot on to work.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Is taking a loan out for a pin a bad move?

Not for this title....

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from Zappa:

"Your phone's ringing dude"

Zappa...you in?

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I'll set aside for the moment the blasphemy that you just brought up a movie by the fourteen year old childmind Farrelly brothers and compared it with a movie by the genius Cohen bothers. But, do you really think that, in a Cohen brothers movie, something as repetitious and ubiquitous in setting, dialog and plot as bowling and that alley are "simply a backdrop"? Haha.
Pretty much nothing "simply" happens in a Cohen brothers movie, least of all given so much screen time!

Amen...

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

EM Ball bowlers, puck bowlers seem to make this concept work so assume they can leverage all that as far as knocking down enough pins.

Only contact bowlers can get close to the feel of real bowling (Bally Bowler, Bowl-O-Rama). If DP can replicate a true contact ball bowler, then my concerns will be for nothing, but I think that will be awfully difficult to pull off at the scale we are seeing in the vid and It looks like, from what I can tell, they are using a fly-away design.

#212 9 years ago

gotcha.. I didn't know there were even contact ones.. I thought they were all leaf switch based Learn something new.

To me, I feel it is a pinball machine first and foremost and authentic feeling bowling action will be pretty low on how i judge the machine I guess so hard to relate to your concern, but understand what you are saying.

I might be more worried about having a contact one because you have a pinball (heavy) against pencil thin plastic pins.. I could only imagine the trouble of taking apart the system to replace a pin

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

gotcha.. I didn't know there were even contact ones.. I thought they were all leaf switch based Learn something new.
To me, I feel it is a pinball machine first and foremost and authentic feeling bowling action will be pretty low on how i judge the machine I guess so hard to relate to your concern, but understand what you are saying.
I might be more worried about having a contact one because you have a pinball (heavy) against pencil thin plastic pins.. I could only imagine the trouble of taking apart the system to replace a pin

I agree. I think a contact version is out of the question for many reasons. I did not mean to overstate my concern, but I guess I did. I did not get in on this because I was hoping for a fantastic bowling experience. I still think DP is gonna hit it out of the park.

#214 9 years ago

Oh OK sorry.. I read your comments like bowling fidelity was a critical flaw / would be something that could change your mind about game as whole. Prob cause I've been reading too many other polarized threads around here. Glad TBL is staying civil so far and normal trouble makers haven't shown up. Really really hope I didn't jinx it.

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Is taking a loan out for a pin a bad move?

It could be your best move ever.

#216 9 years ago

I love all that is happening with this pin. But I can't help be worried about how much of the experience of the film is related to the licensed music (which I assume isn't feasible for DP to also license) Did the idea of a USB port that you could load your own legally owned mp3s onto ever get anywhere? It would add sooooo much if you could hear those first notes of "the man in me"...

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from colorado_cabrio:

I love all that is happening with this pin. But I can't help be worried about how much of the experience of the film is related to the licensed music (which I assume isn't feasible for DP to also license) Did the idea of a USB port that you could load your own legally owned mp3s onto ever get anywhere? It would add sooooo much if you could hear those first notes of "the man in me"...

I would hope they can at least use covers or instrumentals of the songs that can be licensed for cheaper, and then still allow the mp3s/wavs to be replaced by the owners with whatever we wish.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

10 individual coils controlling those pins...all under the playfield....
watching how they shove 10 pounds of sh*t in a 2 pound bag is exciting to see on its own....

Looks like there are only the front 7 pins, the three back pins are missing.

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Looks like there are only the front 7 pins, the three back pins are missing.

Nope. All 10 pins are there. You just can't see them.

#220 9 years ago

You think if they officially licensed the bowling alley they wouldnt fall down on the music.

#221 9 years ago
Quoted from colorado_cabrio:

Agreed, the soundtrack is fantastic and integral to the movie. Got to have that Credence. And maybe a snippet of The Eagles when you drain?

#222 9 years ago

The DP guys have been sweating the details on everything from announcements to newsletters, making their own small carpet, to licensing a tiny bowling alley. We're probably safe on the music.

#223 9 years ago

They are allowed to use anything in the movie, i suppose music is a part of that.

#224 9 years ago

Am I the only one all hyped up waiting for the next DP update on this game? It seems like both Stern and JJP are moving in slow motion right now in between releases with not much news coming out. Who would have believed back in Dec/Jan time frame that DP would be our biggest source of innovation for mid-2014.

#225 9 years ago

Did some photoshoppin' on the reflections to see if it could tell more about the playfield design. It looks like the upper playfield will be the "Holy Star Lanes" bowlingalley (with it's parkinglot in front).

TBL_reflections.jpgTBL_reflections.jpg
#226 9 years ago

BTW the big lebowski (the movie, not the pinball machine) facebook just posted a cartoon illustration from an artist (NOT the TBL pinball artist) so, it has zero to do with the pinball machine art but.. playing devils advocate for a minute.. if this was the art style chosen, what do people think?

I would not be a fan of this.. it's a little too disney/animation. It's a fine line between us complaining about photo shopped art from the movie vs overly cartoony given the whole tone of the movie.

10325632_737126866339053_7686630833422711327_n-912.jpg10325632_737126866339053_7686630833422711327_n-912.jpg

#227 9 years ago

i would think the backglass would need to be photorealistic and playfield art could be cartoony like the photo above if characters were required.

#228 9 years ago

I think people should go ahead and start working on the alternate translites....

Was anything mentioned yet about the head? Will it be an LCD or traditional or both?

#229 9 years ago

i think the original DVD box makes for a good basic translite.

!!eBtnHQB2M~$(KGrHqEOKjEE0f2CblUFBNQ2YQ!)h!~~_35.JPG!!eBtnHQB2M~$(KGrHqEOKjEE0f2CblUFBNQ2YQ!)h!~~_35.JPG
#230 9 years ago

i love this as a style for playfield art (artist: Tyler stout) Strikes the right tone with me . Looking at all the details here, this is actually a goldmine of good imagery IMHO. Even has a bunny lebowski in "whoa nellie" style

The-Big-Lebowski-the-big-lebowski-30869347-1680-1050.jpgThe-Big-Lebowski-the-big-lebowski-30869347-1680-1050.jpg

#231 9 years ago

There could only be just one kind of backglass.

- But that's just my opinion, man...

lebowski_time.jpglebowski_time.jpg
#232 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

BTW the big lebowski (the movie, not the pinball machine) facebook just posted a cartoon illustration from an artist. so, it probably has zero to do with the pinball machine art but.. playing devils advocate for a minute.. if this was the art style chosen, what do people think?
I would not be a fan of this actually.. it's a little too disney. It's a fine line between us complaining about photo shopped art from the movie vs overly cartoony given the whole tone of the movie.

TBH speaking as an artist, the design looks a little stiff. If Walter were walking forward, he would need to be leaning forward... which is what causes the body to take a step.

There are a lot of tangents in the design... the way that the dude's fingertips are flush with the edge of walter's shorts... the way that the bottom of The Dude's robe runs into the front of Walter's shin... and other issues.

Dude's arms are a bit short; Walter's left ankle looks broken. Walter's vest is 2 dimensional (look at his left side... our right)

There are other things wrong with the drawing, but I'll stop there

On the plus side, the likenesses are reasonably good.

#233 9 years ago

doesn't hurt my feelings chadderack, I didn't care for it either I however am falling into love with the style of the Tyler Stout poster I posted afterwards

#234 9 years ago

there's also Joshua Budich artwork that is nice too. If I had to pick, I'd still go with Tyler Stout.

JoshuaBudich_BigLebowski_01.jpgJoshuaBudich_BigLebowski_01.jpg
JoshuaBudich_BigLebowski_02.jpgJoshuaBudich_BigLebowski_02.jpg

#235 9 years ago

More Tyler Stout:

DSC01959-copy.jpgDSC01959-copy.jpg
#236 9 years ago

So what I guess I'm seeing in my own preferences is that they can be illustrated like these guys are doing, but not turned into cartoon characters / animated series (like what was on FB post). Does that make sense?

Apologize for multiple posts today that may trick people into thinking something cool was announced today.

#237 9 years ago

I am getting excited for this title. Couple of ideas: 1) could they include a bowling ball tray that holds the balls for a multi ball? Not sure if it is called a tray or not but the thing that holds balls in the lane. 2) if they could figure out a way to make the pin balls look like bowling balls instead of the chrome. Bunch of different marble colors.

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

i love this as a style for playfield art. Strikes the right tone with me . Looking at all the details here, this is actually a goldmine of good imagery IMHO. Even has a bunny lebowski in "whoa nellie" style

The-Big-Lebowski-the-big-lebowsk... 231 KB

Now that looks good!

#239 9 years ago

This game is looking really good. I hope the sub-playfield is pretty rare event, but looks fun if not over used.
Also agree with prior comments, it was a great idea to put the bowling alley down below instead of main playfield.
I saw a trivia fact once what said The Dude is never shown actually bowling in the movie.

#240 9 years ago

from the DP TBL about us page:

Freek van Haagen
Freek is a true artist. He is a professional illustrator, specializing in character design and animation (3D and 2D). Freek is responsible for the translite and the artwork on the playfield

#241 9 years ago

Yeah.. When I look at that guys website I get a little scared cause no examples of the stuff I am liking

http://www.freekvanhaagen.nl

Very kiddie / cartoon everywhere. Hoping he can rise to occasion

Quoted from burningman:

from the DP TBL about us page:
Freek van Haagen
Freek is a true artist. He is a professional illustrator, specializing in character design and animation (3D and 2D). Freek is responsible for the translite and the artwork on the playfield

#243 9 years ago

Hopefully, they'll put out close examples of what they're leaning towards and gauge our interest in threads like this. That may be the case with their first posted pic. It's a miss, obviously, but thanks to this thread they should already start to see what we like.

#244 9 years ago

The guy does great work, just wondering how this translates.

Candy-Factory-color-def.jpgCandy-Factory-color-def.jpg
#245 9 years ago

Have they posted anything yet? The FB thing I linked wasn't from DP, but from the TBL official universal studios FB stream.. And the artist was mentioned and wasn't Freek.

But yeah my motivation for bringing this up is precisely cause we haven't seen it yet, and wanted to get some consensus (hah, on pinside?) Of what we liked out in the open so if theres a chance to influence we can.

Quoted from taz:

Hopefully, they'll put out close examples of what they're leaning towards and gauge our interest in threads like this. That may be the case with their first posted pic. It's a miss, obviously, but thanks to this thread they should already start to see what we like.

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

The guy does great work, just wondering how this translates.

Candy-Factory-color-def.jpg 147 KB

Whoa...hope it's something different.

#247 9 years ago

I didn't see anything on that site that remotely approaches the artwork that this game should have. Yikes.

#248 9 years ago

Sorry, by the way the thread was trending I thought the drawing of the Dude and Walter bowling were pulled off of a DP-related site.

#249 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I didn't see anything on that site that remotely approaches the artwork that this game should have. Yikes.

Yeah while the candy land is sort of extreme, the guy seems talented but seems to have consistent style that is just not right when compared to the things I do really like

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Yeah while the candy land is sort of extreme, the guy seems talented but seems to have consistent style that is just not right when compared to the things I do really like

Yes...I hope he can change it up to look more adult like the Stout guy...seriously this could kill it for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 210.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miami, FL
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.