(Topic ID: 85390)

The Big Lebowski Playfield Layout...discuss?

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,405 posts
  • 218 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by insight75
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

marmot.JPG
TBL_Rug2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Geerts Balls.JPG
TBL J.JPG
kahlua_kamora.png
giphy.gif
playfieldPopulated1.png.jpeg
playfieldPopulated2.png.jpeg
2014-09-22 newRail.png
TBL_Rug.jpg
image-189.jpg
nails-1.jpg
image-413.jpg
bowling_01.png
dude.jpg
There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 29.
#651 9 years ago

Right, forgot about that picture! :facepalm:

#652 9 years ago

extreme zoom activated:

extreme.jpgextreme.jpg
#653 9 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

extreme zoom activated:

extreme.jpg 45 KB

Nice!

#654 9 years ago

I must have zoomed in on a different one.

anotherjpg.jpganotherjpg.jpg
#655 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I must have zoomed in on a different one.

anotherjpg.jpg 25 KB

#656 9 years ago

Lollollol...

#657 9 years ago

I've been thinking about watching the movie again, but am afraid it will result in a pre-order...

#658 9 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I've been thinking about watching the movie again, but am afraid it will result in a pre-order...

The Dude: Ah, fuck it. The Big Lebowski: Fuck it! Yes! That's your answer. That's your answer for everything! Tattoo it on your forehead!

#659 9 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I agree with all these great DP posts and work on the machine I did watch the movie again and am very close to pulling the trigger, if it weren't for all the other great machines on the horizon (hobbit, MMr, jpop games, predator, kill bill) I'd be in now!

It's pinballs greatest times... Not good for the wallet!

#660 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Is it just the angle, or is this thing wider than 16:9 ?

Not the angle, that's a widescreen aspect ratio LCD panel. Very interesting. And explains how they're doing a screen that big without going up into the translite like my earlier sketches showed a normal 16:9 screen would have.

#661 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not the angle, that's a widescreen aspect ratio LCD panel. Very interesting. And explains how they're doing a screen that big without going up into the translite like my earlier sketches showed a normal 16:9 screen would have.

I wonder where they found them? I spent a chunk of time trolling Alibaba a few years ago and had zero luck finding ultra wide LCDs between 16 - 25 inches.

#662 9 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I wonder where they found them? I spent a chunk of time trolling Alibaba a few years ago and had zero luck finding ultra wide LCDs between 16 - 25 inches.

Yeah, it's a super interesting size. And obviously available in smaller quantities. Not useful for older games obviously, but you have to think Stern is looking at panels like that too ...

#664 9 years ago

anyone else worried they suck too much at playing for that right ramp? it looks far off to the right, more like an outer loop shot, yet has to also have enough oomph to make it up the ramp. Think it will be hard to make from a cradle?

#665 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

anyone else worried they suck too much at playing for that right ramp? it looks far off to the right, more like an outer loop shot, yet has to also have enough oomph to make it up the ramp. Think it will be hard to make from a cradle?

I'm not a great pinball player, but why worry about a ramp shot on a playfield design that hasn't been revealed in its final form yet?

#666 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm not a great pinball player, but why worry about a ramp shot on a playfield design that hasn't been revealed in its final form yet?

I guess on a few fronts:
1) Something to talk about to stay out of the rain of WOZ and MMR threads
2) They have gotten as far as milling out some playfields with the arrow way over there, so it's somewhat firm.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/13#post-1812653
3) These guys haven't done this specific aspect of a game before.. setting up things for make-able shots. In my naive view of things, that ramp looks hard from the angle and from having to make the ramp at that extreme angle? If someone said "oh this is just like game X, and there's no problems with that"
4) I suck I put some time on IJ this weekend specifically because I stuck at the right ramp, let alone hitting the outer loops (that is widebody, maybe hitting the right ramp in IJ is just like hitting a TBL right ramp?). I know the outer loops on IJ i can't do from a cradle.. the ball has to have some oomph on it.

#667 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Not worried a bit...I know on my Airborne the right ramp is steep....if they use something like Capcom did, you can crank that power up, (if the flipper feels weak or you have the pf pitch steep) and she'll make the ramp without a problem.

hummm....we may find out at Expo...

#668 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I guess on a few fronts:
1) Something to talk about to stay out of the rain of WOZ and MMR threads
2) They have gotten as far as milling out some playfields with the arrow way over there, so it's somewhat firm.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/13#post-1812653
3) These guys haven't done this specific aspect of a game before.. setting up things for make-able shots. In my naive view of things, that ramp looks hard from the angle and from having to make the ramp at that extreme angle? If someone said "oh this is just like game X, and there's no problems with that"
4) I suck I put some time on IJ this weekend specifically because I stuck at the right ramp, let alone hitting the outer loops (that is widebody, maybe hitting the right ramp in IJ is just like hitting a TBL right ramp?). I know the outer loops on IJ i can't do from a cradle.. the ball has to have some oomph on it.

I hear what you're saying regarding IJ; I have the same challenges with the right ramp. I'm feeling confident that the boys at DP will come through with a thoroughly playable design though and as such, I'm not worried regarding the playfield layout. That said, TBL is worthy of as much discussion as can be mustered - so keep on posting!

#669 9 years ago

I think the shot is very doable. The entrance is wide enough and the ramp is probably not that steep.

TBL_PF_insert_overlay.jpgTBL_PF_insert_overlay.jpg

#670 9 years ago

Thanks for the insert-overlay

#671 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

I think the shot is very doable. The entrance is wide enough and the ramp is probably not that steep.
TBL_PF_insert_overlay.jpg 78 KB

Oh yeah thanks for the insert overlay!

Guess depends on how accurate the model is on steepness.. Here it looks steep and curves around. So def only clean shot, no back hands which is fine. Will be interesting to see if its possible to do it from a cradle due to the power / far right angle.. Right now thinking no?

#672 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Not worried a bit...I know on my Airborne the right ramp is steep....if they use something like Capcom did, you can crank that power up, (if the flipper feels weak or you have the pf pitch steep) and she'll make the ramp without a problem.
hummm....we may find out at Expo...

Ah yes, Airborne looks very similar to what's going on here. Can you hit it from a cradle or has to be moving pretty good? Does it seem particularly challenging or feels like most others?

Yeah the closer we get the more I'd like to make October.. Guess will be relying on your spy shots. Would be great if they had a partial game in the VIP suite.

#673 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Ah yes, Airborne looks very similar to what's going on here. Can you hit it from a cradle or has to be moving pretty good? Does it seem particularly challenging or feels like most others?
Yeah the closer we get the more I'd like to make October.. Guess will be relying on your spy shots. Would be great if they had a partial game in the VIP suite.

yep...I can smoke that ramp from a cradle but I also have my flipper power set on the highest setting and the pitch is dead on at 6.5. I will have the wife shoot some video if they have it at Expo, but it would not surprise me if we see something from them even before then.

#674 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I hear what you're saying regarding IJ; I have the same challenges with the right ramp. I'm feeling confident that the boys at DP will come through with a thoroughly playable design though and as such, I'm not worried regarding the playfield layout. That said, TBL is worthy of as much discussion as can be mustered - so keep on posting!

I guess it comes down to how much experience really matters for the art of shot layout? People like Ritchie might be able to toss something together pretty quick and it be 95% right the first time. I'd think for the rest of us, more like 60% design and then 40% tweaking the angles?

Given DP has their shit together I'm not too worried about it either. Anxious to see a flipping whitewood or something, maybe for expo.

Hopefully, given their involvement with the dutch pinball association they'll get some prototypes in front of some outsiders for some honest opinions as well. Just for the love of god make sure the flippers are strong enough (seems to be every prototype game has this problem which turn into shit storms here)

#675 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Given DP has their shit together I'm not too worried about it either. Anxious to see a flipping whitewood or something, maybe for expo.

Hopefully, given their involvement with the dutch pinball association they'll get some prototypes in front of some outsiders for some honest opinions as well. Just for the love of god make sure the flippers are strong enough (seems to be every prototype game has this problem which turn into shit storms here)

Given how DP has done things, I doubt they will have a prototype at expo, that is open for play, if it is not damn close to what they want it to be for production and playing the way they want it to. I would like to think that is their goal, so hopefully we will all get to see it and play it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#676 9 years ago

If you see these guys they believe in nothing.

And tomorrow they'll come back and cut off your chonson.

dp marmot.jpgdp marmot.jpg
#677 9 years ago

I know, it's next to nothing, but found this tiny playfield schematic, does it reveal something new?

next.pngnext.png
#678 9 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

I know, it's next to nothing, but found this tiny playfield schematic, does it reveal something new?

I got nuffin....

where did you find that?

#679 9 years ago

He's got information man! Certain things has come to light...

#680 9 years ago

yeah where the heck did that source material come from, i can't even tell what it is.. how did you even know it was a plastic? If it is, couldn't it be a cover for the back of that ramp on the left? some of it looks transparent

ok after looking at and looking at it, i finally realized what we are looking at .. some masking tape on a blueprint right? so the dots are just things like posts and such.. so, yeah, hard to tell anything from that

#681 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

yeah where the heck did that source material come from, i can't even tell what it is.. how did you even know it was a plastic? If it is, couldn't it be a cover for the back of that ramp on the left? some of it looks transparent

yeah...and whats that thing that looks like a loaf of bread? Come on Star-Gazer throw us some bones bro...

#682 9 years ago

calm down, calm down..already said it was not much... but anyway, here's the proof:

proof.jpgproof.jpg
#683 9 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

calm down, calm down.

calmer than you are.

#684 9 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

calmer than you are.

i know, forgot to eat these last night..

ritalin.jpgritalin.jpg
#685 9 years ago

Since we won't be using traditional pricing and rules cards, hopefully in the pricing software DP will include this as an option:

1 play = $.50
3 plays = $1
Bunny s&*#s your c@*# = $1000
Brandt watches = $100

credit: jayhawkai posted in another thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-be-in-on-a-pre-pay-for-a-tbl-the-big-lebowski-3-so-far/page/5#post-742612

#686 9 years ago

Anybody catch Jeff Bridges interview on Howard Stern. The staff was saying he basically talks like the dude all the time. I am an admirer of the film, but not overly familiar with it. Made me think you could grab some sound from the interview if the software for TBL is open source.

ez

#687 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Since we won't be using traditional pricing and rules cards, hopefully in the pricing software DP will include this as an option:
1 play = $.503 plays = $1Bunny s&*#s your c@*# = $1000Brandt watches = $100
credit: jayhawkai posted in another thread.https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-be-in-on-a-pre-pay-for-a-tbl-the-big-lebowski-3-so-far/page/5#post-742612

I like it, but chuck the 1998 pricing and make it 1 play = $1 and 6 plays = $5

#688 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

"1 play = $1 is over the line man" < stache sip > "The dude will not stand for this aggressive pricing".

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

More like 1988 pricing.

#690 9 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

"1 play = $1 is over the line man" < stache sip > "The dude will not stand for this aggressive pricing".

$1/game is hardly aggressive for a $8k game.
Pretty inexpensive actually.

#691 9 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

$1/game is hardly aggressive for a $8k game.Pretty inexpensive actually.

I'd have to agree....and Bunny would want $1,500 for sure, Brandt would now have to pay $150 to watch.....

hummm...I think I'd pay $150 to watch....

#692 9 years ago

Ah Ha ha ha ha Thats Marvelous.We're all, we're all very fond of her. Very free-spirited.

#693 9 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Anybody catch Jeff Bridges interview on Howard Stern. The staff was saying he basically talks like the dude all the time. I am an admirer of the film, but not overly familiar with it. Made me think you could grab some sound from the interview if the software for TBL is open source.
ez

He could so do another TBL but i wouldn't want him to unless the script was out of the park. So much has changed since the first. If they could figure out how to make that magic again would be something to look forward to for sure.

#694 9 years ago

I really want to get on board with this game but I still want to see more before I do. I really need to see a couple more of the toys and their interaction. I also really want to see the playfield art. Beyond that ... when will they start showing some of the video clips from the game? WOZ was a letdown for me there .. the clips they have are absolutely great but for me there were far too few of them. I hope TBL is overloaded with short movie clips. Including the rug with the game?? What an awesome touch IMO!!

As I said .. I hope to get on board soon but need to see some more ...

#695 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I really want to get on board with this game but I still want to see more before I do. I really need to see a couple more of the toys and their interaction. I also really want to see the playfield art. Beyond that ... when will they start showing some of the video clips from the game? WOZ was a letdown for me there .. the clips they have are absolutely great but for me there were far too few of them. I hope TBL is overloaded with short movie clips. Including the rug with the game?? What an awesome touch IMO!!
As I said .. I hope to get on board soon but need to see some more ...

I'd like to see the center toy before pulling the trigger on this game.
I never seen a car toy that looked good in a game, so really hoping it is not a car bash toy.

Also not thrilled about the CFTBL window being used, don't like the ball diverting edge gap. Would have preferred the AC/DC style insert. It is the difference between guaranteed ball diversion or possible raised edged down the road, I'd take the later. Maybe DP can make the window fit better than the original CFTBL did.

Eager to see more.

#696 9 years ago

Which other games have car bash toys? I dunno why being a car specifically would make it bad. I've been thinking of it more (perhaps way too optimistically) like MM castle or POTC ship given the complexity of whats going on under the playfield, so multistage/highly interactive. Whatever form it takes (car or not) wouldnt matter as much.

Wasn't aware of CFTBL / Congo window issues.. It does make sense though. It's more that it lifts/sinks relative to playfield or more level but a small gap opens up over time (shrinks)? I suppose they could be using the CFTBL window for simplicity (parts availability) but also clear coat it in place (acdc).. Wouldn't be as replaceable obviously.

#697 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Which other games have car bash toys?

Street Fighter II.

#698 9 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Also not thrilled about the CFTBL window being used, don't like the ball diverting edge gap. Would have preferred the AC/DC style insert. It is the difference between guaranteed ball diversion or possible raised edged down the road, I'd take the later. Maybe DP can make the window fit better than the original CFTBL did.
Eager to see more.

Wow...guess I may be the exception but I don't recall ball diversions from my CFTBL insert window.

#699 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Street Fighter II.

Thanks, watched a video. Yeah I would hope that if the center toy is a car, it isn't like that toy we're not pushing a car here, we're destroying it (whether its the dudes car or the corvette)

#700 9 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Also not thrilled about the CFTBL window being used, don't like the ball diverting edge gap. Would have preferred the AC/DC style insert. It is the difference between guaranteed ball diversion or possible raised edged down the road, I'd take the later.

I am confident they will clear coat the PF. I cannot see DP dropping the bowling ball on this after what they have shown us so far.

https://www.facebook.com/dutchpinball/photos_stream?tab=photos_stream

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 210.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

15,000 (OBO)
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 1,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-playfield-layoutmy-thoughts/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.