Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.png
tumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpg
exterface_unicorn_17-1.jpg
a-man-wearing-an-ariel-costume.jpg
alien.jpg
#1 8 years ago

OK - With the caveats that you could have either for the same price and that they both are available in the same relative time frame, which game would you choose if you could have only one? Reasons? Would really like to hear from anyone who has played both. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Like at gunpoint? If so, I'd do TBL based on theme. Real bummer they had to remove the original music. For dropping that kind of coin, the whole package would really have to resonate with my interests.

Both pins are gorgeous, but the gameplay doesn't appeal to me. They both seem kind of slow and floaty.

#3 8 years ago

I'd pick TH before TBL based on the deep rules from their experienced programmers, and JJP's proven support. Plus JJP has the advantage of experience.

TBL looks very cool, and I prefer its theme and that it is a standard body. But recent videos looked like a lot of programming is still needed. I think both games have promise to be excellent, but at this specific point in time, TH would be the more secure pick for me.

It's all very hypothetical because both games are not done.

#4 8 years ago

Neither are complete yet so who knows. Both have potential, both can't seem to make it the finish line. I've played both and I'd take TH in it's current state. TBL is cool and feels 90's b/w ish which a lot of people will love. That made it feel old and stale to me though. I'll take the fresh approach with TH.

#5 8 years ago

They are very far apart on theme. So.. Both.

#6 8 years ago

TBL for me, I just wasn't that impressed with the game play and layout of TH when I played it at 2015 NW Expo. Things like the unimpressive looking talking dragon head and a sparsely populated wide body with the main feature being a bunch of drop targets was MEH to me.

Disclaimer: I'm a concrete guy not a pinball designer... What the hell do I know

#7 8 years ago

If they were free, I'd choose the hobbit. It looks like it would have longer staying power than tbl

#8 8 years ago

I voted with my wallet and picked Hobbit, though TBL looks to be awesome too. When TBL is delivered and available for purchase (as in I order and get it in a week) I would consider picking one up. Right now that game is a much riskier venture than The Hobbit being delivered. I'm done rolling the dice on pre-orders.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

When TBL is delivered and available for purchase (as in I order and get it in a week) I would consider picking one up. Right now that game is a much riskier venture than The Hobbit being delivered. I'm done rolling the dice on pre-orders.

Not sure about that pimp, right now there are more TBL in existence than Hobbits, also TBL is months past their delivery deadline and the Hobbit is way more than that. My belief is that both games will be produced and no one will lose money, the real question is who will ship games first.

#10 8 years ago

I'm starting to wonder if either will actually ever see the light of day. We could have another BBB on our hands here. These games are comically late at this point...at least if you don't have any $ tied up in them.

How about a "Magic Girl" vs. "Alice in Wonderland" poll?

#11 8 years ago

Neither get a pin that is out now. With all the new pins on the market it makes little to no sense to wait on a pin that no one knows when it will be available. Just my 2 cents.

#12 8 years ago

TBL is so far what 4 months over due!
THBT Is 14 months from original "release"

#13 8 years ago

The Hobbit looks like it will be a cool game, but I've been in for a TBL all along and no regrets on doing so. I'm way more of a Big Lebowski theme fan and I'm confident that the game will not disappoint once the software is finished.

#14 8 years ago

alien.jpgalien.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Hobbit will be the must have pin of 2016.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

TBL is so far what 4 months over due!
THBT Is 14 months from original "release"

Man, debating which years-in-development game is more overdue is sad. If JJP #3 is actually Stern-like and ships shortly after reveal I think that's a huge step forward for modern pinball.

#17 8 years ago

Of these three games that do not and may never exist, I'd have to say Alien is pretty tempting. What a great theme for a game.

#18 8 years ago

What would you choose, a Unicorn or a Mermaid?

These are your choices though.

exterface_unicorn_17-1.jpgexterface_unicorn_17-1.jpga-man-wearing-an-ariel-costume.jpga-man-wearing-an-ariel-costume.jpg

#19 8 years ago

i can't unsee that

tumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpgtumblr_m6i4lmB4rs1r0a19h.jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20 8 years ago

I'm going to bleach my eyes and pass the bottle

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

TBL for me, I just wasn't that impressed with the game play and layout of TH when I played it at 2015 NW Expo. Things like the unimpressive looking talking dragon head and a sparsely populated wide body with the main feature being a bunch of drop targets was MEH to me.
Disclaimer: I'm a concrete guy not a pinball designer... What the hell do I know

I'd vote for neither. Have not played TBL yet.

TH is not a great layout. Aren't these guys the designers of TSPP? The upper flipper on TSPP has 3 shots (Quickie Mart loop, More Time, and Left Ramp) the Comic Book Guy is a upper flipper shot but it can also be hit by the lower flipper.

On The Hobbit a pin with an endless budget and endless time, they don't have a single shot for the upper flipper? If you rip the upper flipper out, could you still make all the shots? If yes, then what the reason for the upper flipper? It's be like having an upper flipper on IJ.

IMO TH being a Wide Body pin, I would have hoped for more ramps and interactive toys, I'm not super excited about the ramp layout on TH either.

#22 8 years ago

If we're talking make believe pins (ie. not shipping) then I'd probably also vote Alien. much more interesting shot layout than TH (IMO).

#23 8 years ago

I dont know yet which one i would pick. Both lay outs are not my taste, but the rest of it looks like it is gonne be awesome.

Maybe a great duo to have next to each other. Buy Alien and the best Stern too and you have the most current big 4, .

#24 8 years ago

TH. Very easy. The wait will be well worth it. The programming is far above any pin out right. That includes TBL or any STERN.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

TH. Very easy. The wait will be well worth it. The programming is far above any pin out right. That includes TBL or any STERN.

Since TBL doesn't seem to have any code other than "alpha", that's a safe bet.

And the fact that Keith and Ted Estes are working on TH, probably a no brainer.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Since TBL doesn't seem to have any code other than "alpha", that's a safe bet.
And the fact that Keith and Ted Estes are working on TH, probably a no brainer.

Looks as well. Theme as well. Etc...

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Hobbit will be the must have pin of 2016.

Especially by people who've been waiting 3 years for it...

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Looks as well. Theme as well. Etc...

Looks and theme are a matter of opinion Sky... TBL blows TH out of the water on theme (IMHO) and although the TH cab art looks cool the playfield with that silly looking dragon head, wide open spaces and lack of interactive toys is left in the dust by TBL's playfield and toys. As for the code we know Keith is the man BUT not every game needs to be or should be an LOTR type journey... giant rule sets don't always = fun.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Looks and theme are a matter of opinion Sky... TBL blows TH out of the water on theme (IMHO) and although the TH cab art looks cool the playfield with that silly looking dragon head, wide open spaces and lack of interactive toys is left in the dust by TBL's playfield and toys. As for the code we know Keith is the man BUT not every game needs to be or should be an LOTR type journey... giant rule sets don't always = fun.

You said the key word. It's my opinion and its your opinion. I don't like anything about TBL. Bowling theme sucks. I can see it getting boring REAL QUICK AND FAST.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

You said the key word. It's my opinion and its your opinion. I don't like anything about TBL. Bowling theme sucks. I can see it getting boring REAL QUICK AND FAST.

I see where this conversation is heading (to the basement)
image.pngimage.png

#31 8 years ago

Neither. Too many broken promises or deadlines in both cases to preorder TBL or TH. Assuming both are available on the market with their current code, my preference is for TH.
If I have to preorder another pin it would be Alien.

#32 8 years ago

Both look good. I went with Hobbit but I might get a TBL as well

#33 8 years ago

TBL is an awesome movie, but at least portion of that is due to the soundtrack which is sliced off for the pinball machine.

The Hobbit saga is such a Peter Jackson mess, that I'm not sure what to think about it, I haven't even watched the third movie (not even sure if I saw the second) and I'm a huge Hobbit fan having read the book at least 5 times.

1 month later
#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The Hobbit looks like it will be a cool game, but I've been in for a TBL all along and no regrets on doing so. I'm way more of a Big Lebowski theme fan and I'm confident that the game will not disappoint once the software is finished.

I agree TBL is a better theme for me, too.

The Hobbit appears to have vastly improved content from its initial presentation, whereas TBL seems to have suffered content reduction without much code improvement since its initial debut.

I hope they both end up being great.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I agree TBL is a better theme for me, too.
The Hobbit appears to have vastly improved content from its initial presentation, whereas TBL seems to have suffered content reduction without much code improvement since its initial debut.
I hope they both end up being great.

Completely agree other than I'm confident (rather than hope) that Dutch Pinball will come through with an excellent game in the long run. I think that it will take a good amount of time for the software to fully "cure" based on their history with BOP 2.0 though.

Meanwhile, the Hobbit is looking very nice indeed based on the recent sample game videos out of MN. Fantastic artwork, audio, video, and lighting effects! AND now that I just watched the first two movies last weekend and actually understand the representations in the game, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on a TH as well.

#36 8 years ago

Honestly I think they're both going to end up great games. I just can't justify either's price tag unfortunately, but I look forward to playing both.

I wonder how much longer it's going to be before Stern's Premiums rise to the point where they're off my list too. My Star Trek Premium, with shipping and CA sales tax was around $7200 iirc, but I can't remember if that included the shaker I bought too, or if that was on top of it.

That's pushing it for me. New game prices seem to just keep rising and rising. At least I feel like with The Hobbit and The Big Lebowski that you're getting the quality for the money. I'd like to see what TBL's "dots" really look like in the end. They're not really optimizing for the low rez, lots of blurry images and movie clips. Hobbit's screen is beautiful, Jean Paul did a really nice job with it, very impressed by his work.

I think Hobbit's playfield itself is great. JP really took it to a great place, and I know it was a lot of work to redo so much, but it seriously paid off into a superior product. But there's just no beating The Big Lebowski's hand drawn art; the line work, the colors and patterns, it's just an instant classic to me. Modern and oldschool at the same time.

Sucks they had to ditch the cannabis leaf, but we'll get something sparking ...

They just each have their strengths.

I think the question is going to be down to playfield design and rules. Keith is easily the favorite in the rules department, but he does write much "longer" games, so it's just a matter of if you like those super deep, long playing games or not. With 30+ modes (I think) it could pass LOTR and TSPP and WOZ in gameplay time. But if you like that style my guess is that it's brilliant.

My impression from the beta of TBL is that it's a little more like a 90s game in style, not in a bad way, but just a little more straight forward. Hard to say without final rules, but my guess is that it will be a little more accessible, and not quite so long-playing.

I need to put more time into Hobbit, away from a show where I can hear it and get used to the geometry. I generally need a few games to get my bearings on a new pin, and Expo didn't really allow for that. (I hear people in line were rude if you didn't suck and drain fast enough.) What I've heard is that it's fun, from people who's opinions I respect. NimblePin told me he got to play with Keith giving him tips, and really got a taste for the rules, and said it was great. As I recall even Rarehero thought it was interesting at least.

TBL I've played, and it's cool, but it was just too early to really do more than try out some shots. I think it will satisfy people who like a less open and sparse feeling layout. Hobbit has the 4 popups, and they use them a lot, but the playfield has a sense of everything being pushed to the edges.

To me that's a toss up. Obviously we'll judge after they come out. But my guess is each will shine in a different style, and you should pick the one you're more likely to enjoy.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Still looking forward to that forthcoming mod!

Quoted from Aurich:

I think the question is going to be down to playfield design and rules. Keith is easily the favorite in the rules department, but he does write much "longer" games, so it's just a matter of if you like those super deep, long playing games or not. With 30+ modes (I think) it could pass LOTR and TSPP and WOZ in gameplay time. But if you like that style my guess is that it's brilliant.

Another feature of the Hobbit to really look forward to - a "must be experienced" rules set that will build on and surpass those of LOTR and WOZ!

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Aurich... He doesn't make the pinball machines we buy, he makes the pinball machines we buy better.

Ps. Can I preorder the doobie mod now

#39 8 years ago

or you could buy 8-12 other games in either place. TBL is pretty awesome, but I would be hard pressed to pay 9k for a game. TH, no where near 9k.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbl-or-hobbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.