(Topic ID: 313845)

TBD theme with CobraPin and MPF

By HOLT45

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

New project - planning a homebrew machine. Tossing theme ideas around, but nothing solid planned thus far. I've got a few planned phases, thought it might help to document my progress for anyone who may want to follow in my footsteps.

So far:
    -CobraPin board
    -Mission Pinball Framework for software
    -48V power supply from Mouser - RSP-500-48 (same one Stern uses)
    -5v Power Supply from Mouser - LCS50US05
    -LEDs- from Ebay, bought 2 sets of 50x 12mm LED WS2811 addressable LED strings

I've got a phased approach to development in mind.
    Overall -
    1. Mock everything up using arcade buttons for switches, get a basic faux game operating. I figured just getting something operating out of the box (literally a cardboard box), would be a good first step, using some extra arcade buttons I have lying around in place of other game switches.

2. Using a dead machine, install the CobraPin board, and play with real pinball hardware. With that approach, I plan to skip a lot of the tedious stuff, mucking around with installing components on a playfield, etc. Just want to get a game up and running, and start playing with game modes, etc.
    I've found a Baywatch that's missing most of the head. It guts me to kill a machine, so I'll plan to find missing parts and restore this one in the future. For now, it'll be a good test bed to play with. Only real drawback is that I won't be able to do much with lights, as I'll keep the OEM Sega stuff intact. But I should be able to do whatever I want with a DMD

3. Design and build a new playfield, install it in the Baywatch Cab.

4. Build a new cab, and move everything over to it.

#2 2 years ago

So, phase 1 is essentially complete:

I Installed Python on my machine and a simple bat file to launch it all. There were a few hiccups with the tutorial, and things I had to google, but eventually got Python and Mission Pinball Framework running.

From there, I mocked up the basic pieces of a pinball machine using a cardboard box. Instead of a drain switch, rollovers, and slingshot switches, I just have arcade buttons and have to move the "ball" around by pressing buttons. I was hoping I could just set a real pinball on the buttons, but they're not heavy enough to press the switch, haha. Anyway, after going through the tutorial and making some code adjustments, the game was actually playable.

I got a basic light show going too. I expected that to be a real pain, but it went fairly smoothly.

MPF definitely has its strengths and weaknesses, and it took a lot of trial and error and researching to figure out the overall flow. Still have some learning to do.

#3 2 years ago

From here, I added some more basics, but each was a bit of a learning curve for me. Skill Shot, Ball save, Extra Ball, Lane Change, and some basic sounds, mucking around with the display (slides and slide_player in MPF).

Everything is event driven, and modes can be layered and running in parallel. My skillshot is a mode that runs on a timer, in parallel with Ball Save and the main game loop, etc. My biggest frustration thus far is with some of the syntax. I've struggled with some of the overall flow, and naming events properly so the game responds to events. But I'm making progress.

I should have the Baywatch machine by the weekend, so I'll likely call this phase complete and start working on the real machine.

#4 2 years ago

I like MPF but I know what you mean with some of the syntax and training your brain to certain things

Sometimes I debate rewriting a lot of certain things with a better naming convention now that I’m more familiar with the ins and outs of MPF.

I guess I’m in the equivalent of your stage two. I rewired a game and still learning how to make a fun game in MPF before biting off something more custom. I figured what’s the point of making something totally custom if I can’t program it to my liking (Though of course I have some ideas planned out and already started acquiring a bunch of spare parts for it)

Someone once gave me the advice of its more important to finish a project than to try to perfect your first project.

Best of luck on your journey.

#5 1 year ago

Good progress! Following

#6 1 year ago

Nice work!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tbd-theme-with-cobrapin-and-mpf?hl=r67en and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.