• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1346 (resized).JPG
IMG_1344 (resized).JPG
mpu2 (resized).jpg
mpu 1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Bought my first pin - Taxi - a few days ago. It's players condition and I got it in the house and all set up with no trouble. Played about a dozen games and powered it down. Turned it on today and there is no music playing. Callouts are playing, and the sound effects for drain lanes and airport ramps are playing, but that's it. No spinout ramp sounds, no music, no multiball music, no pick-up music. I checked the batteries and they are fine, and I didn't see any signs of corrosion or leakage.

Sometimes when I power it on, I get a tone, once I got a continuous high-pitched tone, and sometimes nothing at all. No error messages on the diagnostic LEDs, and when I try the SW1 switch I get two alternating tones regardless of the lack of start-up tone. I would do other sound tests if I knew how, but I don't. I was given no information at all on how to work this thing. It took than an hour for me to figure out how to switch out a light bulb, before realizing none of the #89 sockets behind the backglass even work (I presume that is a broken or disconnected wire running between the sockets which I can get to later).

Youtube has not been helpful, schematics look like hieroglyphics to me, and I don't know anyone in my area that owns (or has been in presence of) a pinball machine that can be a resource. I did stop by a local repair shop with a very good reputation. They had playfields put back together incorrectly and had installed flipper rubbers improperly, so they flew off when a ball touched them. So yeah........

Any suggestions or guidance will be helpful. All I've wanted for a decade was a pinball machine, and I have had one for three days and my husband is ready to set us both on the curb. I know I'm a complete noob, and it's obnoxious, and you have to use little words to talk to me and I'm sorry for that. But any help at all is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Take a deep breath. Relax, we're all here to help the best we can.

Just so you know: When you boot up Taxi with the power switch, about 2 seconds later you should get a "bong" tone. This is a self check report that the sound system has been initialized. If you start a game before that (not saying you did - but occasionally I start my game too fast before the system sound has initialized) you will not get background music, just a handful of sound effects.

Now if you don't get the bong at all while waiting, that is usually indicating a communication issue with the sound board. Most of the time this is due to a failed ribbon cable. Beyond that, it's going to be very tricky for you simply because of your lack of electronics knowledge. If you are going to work on these games, knowing how to read schematics helps immensely. That's not to say you can't fix a lot of things without them, it's just that it is going to be more difficult, take longer, and if you do something wrong you have a high chance of causing more damage.

There is an introductory guide to working on this series of games. It's large and overwhelming at first, but at least read the first page to give you an overview of what comprises the game. This information will better your understanding of the advice we give you on Pinside, improving communication between us. Please take a look at the "before you start a game" section. There are some key points to investigate in a newly acquired pin so that you can get it up and running reliably.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html

#3 7 years ago

Thanks wayout. I read through all of parts I and II. I'll have to buy a new DMM today and test all the fuses, GI for the backbox #89s, and the transistors. I read about starting a game too early and eliminated that as a possibility. I do not get the "bong" self check tone anymore. Twice now I have gotten a high-pitched tone on start-up that won't stop. I was able to figure out how get to the test menus. Sound test works, but music does not. It doesn't even let me initialize that test. I'll teach myself to read schematics, I can self-teach just about anything.

#4 7 years ago

Don't rule out finding someone near you that does board work and hiring it out (if you find that you'll need to be doing a lot of board work and are new to it). I did some early work myself but have since been sending out to a local who has all the test equipment and is fast and affordable. By all means test your fuses and continuity and everything yourself (do it all if you enjoy it) just know that you can send out your boards and have the work done, in some cases it might not even cost that much more than two or three rounds of shipping for tiny parts (when you inevitably buy the wrong thing first time around like I am often doing).

#5 7 years ago

I am a shit magnet and therefore a big fan of qualified people doing board work. Bad stuff just happens around me. Like in Con Air when that body lands on that car, I empathized so much.

So I'm just doing a bit of tinkering and studying every day so I don't feel overwhelmed. I was just really shocked that the shop I went into had so many problems that I could immediately spot, because they have such a stellar reputation. Also I can't really identify problems much beyond "it's on fire." So I was all slick like, "no of course I don't need any service, do you have a new Taxi topper by chance?" So I now own a new topper with decal - for $30 because someone opened it and returned it. Thanks previous owner!

#6 7 years ago

*** So the sound is fixed. The seller had some suggestions, which worked and are as follows for anyone else who may need it:

First thing I always like to check is the connections at the board. Especially when it's right after having moved a game, it's easy for something to have come loose. Here's a drawing of the system 11 backbox so you can hunt down what's what - http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/sys11_8.gif

First I'd just unplug and replug all the wires on the soundboard, and then the other end of those wires on whichever board they're connected to. If that doesn't do it then next I'd try just swapping the batteries. One thing the game will do if it doesn't have batteries is reduce the sound down to just the callouts like that, so it's possible that those batteries are dead or aren't making a good connection.

*** It might have been a loose cable, but I replaced the batteries as well. The battery holder or soldering itself is getting on in years, and I get an adjustment failure on start-up. I'll be looking into one of those NVRAM battery eliminators. So thank you to everyone for your suggestions and encouragement.

#7 7 years ago

Glad you got it fixed. Don't get frustrated. You wanted a pin and now you have one. You will learn as you go. I have a Williams Jokerz! and it can be intimidating at times. Sounds like you aren't afraid try and fix it yourself. Keep up the good work!! Getting rid of the batteries is a step in the right direction.

#8 7 years ago

Still rolling that someone can walk into a brick and mortar and buy a new Taxi topper for 30 bucks.

#9 7 years ago

I jogged to my car and peeled out of the parking lot like zhe Germhans were after me.

#10 7 years ago

Congrats on buying game #1. I hope you take your time in deciding what game #2 will be.

I'm just curious. Would you mind posting a picture of the MPU board? I just would like to see the areas of the board around the battery holder.

#11 7 years ago

Thank you. Took me 5 months just to get this one. There's no money for a game #2 so I promise I'll take my time deliberating. I climbed up on a stepstool and took these pictures with a headlamp, since it's at night and in an odd place and I'm short. So hopefully you can see them okay.

mpu 1 (resized).jpgmpu 1 (resized).jpg

mpu2 (resized).jpgmpu2 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from kvolak:

I get an adjustment failure on start-up.

The batteries are upside down. (+) and (-) are marked on the board, so the copper side should be pointed down. I suggest moving to Lithium batteries until NVRAM gets installed. Can't see the SCR2 to SCR5 parts well enough, but looks like the board is in very good shape.

If you like, you can ship the board to me and I can install the NVRAM for $25 and it will include the part and shipping back to you. You can pick a time when you know the game would not be used for a week. Taking it to the post office on a Saturday morning, should guarantee me to have it on a Tuesday at the latest and I could install it that same evening and get it back to the post office so you should have it back on that Friday.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from kvolak:

There's no money for a game #2 so I promise I'll take my time deliberating

You'll find a way to get some money, even if it is for a cheap project game off of Craigslist in your area.

#14 7 years ago

If you are still getting an adjustment area after swapping the batteries around, then the battery holder could be damaged. Could you take 2 pictures (one of the top row and one of the bottom) so we can see the contacts of the holder when you take out the batteries?

#15 7 years ago

I will. It's in a weird corner so I'll have to move it so I can actually get into it and see inside.

#16 7 years ago

These were the best pics I was able to take. It's almost impossible to get into the backbox where it is right now. But that's the only spot I have. I wanted to start cleaning and working on it, but we need to rearrange stuff so that it's not in such an awkward space. I'll just have to slowly work on it, since the rest of my pinball savings went towards a family emergency. No adjustment failure message since the batteries are installed properly. Because I'm a moron. Need to find a nice lucrative job to afford this hobby.

IMG_1344 (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPG

IMG_1346 (resized).JPGIMG_1346 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

I can't tell if that battery holder is rusty or not but it looks like it to me. If there is rust like that, it can sometimes make it hard to make a good connection between battery and metal. You can either attempt to lightly sand it, or buy a new battery holder, they're cheap. But if you're moving to NVRAM (good choice by the way) a light sanding may do it for now. Also it's hard to tell if there is a cold solder joint on the battery holder.

If you're not sure what a cold solder joint is just google "cold solder joint" and there are pictures and a brief explanation to what it is. I recently had a cold solder joint on my JP and the T-rex wasn't working properly. So after reflowing the solder, it is now working 100%. Sometimes it can be as simple as that.

Lastly, sometimes the chips just need to be reseated. There are usually two sound chips on the board and I've had times where I took them off, put them back in and all was well. Chips can be tricky though because the legs on them are a bit brittle and can bend out of place easily if you don't have them in there properly, so just be careful. I'll try to look into where those sound chips are and report back.

*Edit: It looks like the sound ROMs are located at U4 and U19, they are 28 pin chips and they can be found on page 41 of the manual. You can check for continuity if you pull the board. Put one lead of the multimeter on the leg, and the other on the same leg, but on the backside of the board. You should hear a beep from the multimeter. This means there is a good solid flow of electricity and that the chip is making a good connection to the socket, which is a good sign (to put it in layman's terms).

And don't feel like you have to attempt any of this if you're new and don't feel comfortable doing anything to your board(s).

#18 7 years ago

Top right connector has a little bit of rust on it, but it looks like the whole thing is just old period. The sound is working fine since I switched out the batteries and unplugged/replugged the cables. I'll likely mail the board out for any work because I'll burn the house down trying to solder something. Hubby thinks he can solder but can't and really dangerous to objects because he insists he can.

#19 7 years ago

I will be happy to install the NVRAM for you at a time when it is convenient for you to ship.

#20 7 years ago

Thanks.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from kvolak:

It took than an hour for me to figure out how to switch out a light bulb, before realizing none of the #89 sockets behind the backglass even work (I presume that is a broken or disconnected wire running between the sockets which I can get to later).

I did not notice any one answer on this.
The #89 flashers do not cycle on/off during attract mode, but will after the end of the game for a specific time. It is basically done to cut down on idle power while game is not being played.

So it will be best to either run the solenoid(coil)/flasher test or see if they work during game play.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I did not notice any one answer on this.
The #89 flashers do not cycle on/off during attract mode, but will after the end of the game for a specific time. It is basically done to cut down on idle power while game is not being played.
So it will be best to either run the solenoid(coil)/flasher test or see if they work during game play.

If none of them work with known good bulbs in the solenoid test, most likely they have all lost supply power. Check fuse F2C (5A,SB on aux driver board) and holder. If that is good, other possible problems could be on the aux driver board: connector J11 or A/C relay problem.

#23 7 years ago

You can test a single solenoid with an alligator clip. Does this work with flashers as well, I think it does? You can use an alligator clip by attaching one end to a ground wire and touching it to the top of the correct transistor. Like if you wanted to check if a pop bumper was working, you can do the alligator clip thing. But you have to be careful with this method. You only want to quickly touch the transistor, don't hold it on there. You just want to see that one quick "pop". If the coil fires, or the #89 light flashes, that means the transistor is good, the wiring to the light socket or coil is good, and I think it usually means the issue is on the board, before the transistor, like a pre driver.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

You can test a single solenoid with an alligator clip. Does this work with flashers as well, I think it does? You can use an alligator clip by attaching one end to a ground wire and touching it to the top of the correct transistor. Like if you wanted to check if a pop bumper was working, you can do the alligator clip thing. But you have to be careful with this method. You only want to quickly touch the transistor, don't hold it on there. You just want to see that one quick "pop". If the coil fires, or the #89 light flashes, that means the transistor is good, the wiring to the light socket or coil is good, and I think it usually means the issue is on the board, before the transistor, like a pre driver.

As long as you toggle the A/C relay to the "C" side, the same coil test would work, as flashers are multiplexed with coils on Taxi. Though not impossible, it is less likely that all the transistors are out, or all the power resistors have broken off the interconnect board....more like a power side problem. What you would need to do, is toggle the A/C select (Solenoid #12) to the "C" side, and then use a voltmeter/DMM to check for power at the flasher sockets.

2 weeks later
#25 7 years ago

Replaced the socket for the Drac light in the backbox and now the 89s work. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.