Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SPeD66
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Learning to play Taxi... (barely -- it's still kicking my A$$)

Just discovered how important "Carry Passengers" is. It appears that taking the 25,000 Spinout skill shot costs you one of two chances of lighting "Carry Passengers."

Strategy question. Does that mean that the 25,000 only has max value once the skill shot is already lit (assuming you don't have all 5 passengers yet...)

How do you choose when to play for max points or the 25,000 pick-up?

thanks!
MOF

#5 11 years ago

Based on your responses, I realized my question was based on an improper assumption. I thought that by taking the 25,000 Spinout pickup, you lost the ability to hit 3 Pin*bot targets and get "Carry Passengers", (which is what I thought happened to me a few times) when I took the glass off and gave it a try myself -- I saw it's a non-issue.

Thanks for the clarification...
MOF

#6 11 years ago

(now I'm just venting)

Taxi is still kicking my A$$ -- no end in sight.
I like a good challenge, but the SDTM on ball returns from up top on this is a bit too much.

I.will.not.surrender.

MOF

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

How bad is the return if it only goes halfway up a ramp?

I expect that risk/reward from any pin, (make your ramp shots count!) and actually the ramp returns are VERY fair on my Taxi.

Instead -- it's the return from up top, say Santa, Carry Passengers, perhaps a missed Gorbie shot. Even just a ball coming out first time after the spinout...

Pain I tell you. Pain.

MOF!

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

If you're getting consistent drains straight down the middle from an eject on the Santa hole, make sure your machine is properly leveled.

Good point, I'm still restoring it, so it's not perfectly level, but it's pretty close.

thanks!
MOF

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Nice sys11 lineup you have there. I want a GL in the worst way.

Yes, I'm practicing dead flipper bounces unlike on my other machines. Nice to finally get it.

How do you like Big Guns? I am thinking about that one. Can't decide from watching the PAPA videos.

MOF

#18 11 years ago

I just had an incredible game on Taxi with a bloated score from an unused jackpot -- I am not a fan of the carryover jackpot. Can I disable it?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Yeah that sometimes is a bummer. I used to own a Hurricane which has a carryover jackpot. There were some kids over at my house that played a TON of games but were no where near good enough to get the jackpot. Then their dad steps up at the end of the day, plays one game, and blows my high score way out of the water! It took me a month to get that high score back, and that was doing it without the carry over! He gloated about it so much, I told him I should put an asterisk next to that score.

HAHA. Yep, I will be setting the 1.5m cap tonight. I hit 2-3 jackpots in one game last night and blew away mt previous high score by 1.4 mill, so I realize that the 1mill padding I got to start the game, is not going to repeat during a single game. I found out that the secret is really to dominate the 2-ball multiball and I did just that. What a great multiball in this one. I will say that it is better than the Diner multiball, which has a smaller lower playfield which makes for quicker drains with 2. I never thought that I would say that 2 is an ideal multiball. There is just no point to having ball collisions with 3 ore more. 2 is VERY satisfying.

#23 11 years ago

Game is coming to me much easier now. I get it. Taxi is really an amazingly well-designed game. I am surprised by how it didn't feel this way to start, and once I got the pop bumpers into "machine gun" mode, and installed the bell and flashers, that the game comes alive a bit more now... It's getting easier to nail the ramp shots more frequently too...

Like it!
MOF

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

mof, how does Grand Lizard hold up compared to taxi? i'm thinking about trying to seek one out.

Well, like I mentioned in my ratings, GL is best flow ever... Taxi is a little bit stop n go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-strategy?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.