By Dewey68

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 12 years ago

I cannot get my Taxi to go past 100k on the spinout shot. Most times it will max out at 75K. I read the thread over at RGP that discusses this, but I have not been able to improve the situation. I've take the spinout ramp apart and cleaned it. Tighted up all the support posts. Removed the launch cage and cleaned a couple of burrs off it and JB welded a loose support, and then polished it up. Replaced the spring, tried to center the plunger as best I could, and no improvement. I even cut up my old spring and tried adding half the old spring to the new spring. It is the red spring too, btw. Pitch is set at 6 degrees.

The only area that needs to be fixed is the top of the spinout ramp. The piece that fits on top that keeps the ball down in the funnel is broken on one side. Since one side can move, I wonder if this is robbing momentum from the ball?

#2 12 years ago

Try this. Lightly tap the ball a couple of inches, then give it a full plunge as it rolls back. The extra momentum you are adding to the ball should carry you over 100k or much more. After all, it is a Skill Shot, so experiment with it. Good luck.

#3 12 years ago

I added a super strong spring when I shopped one out and that really did the trick

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

I added a super strong spring when I shopped one out and that really did the trick

Where did you get your spring from fusion301? I thought the red spring was the strongest one available.

#5 12 years ago

I think Marco - might be the same one: http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=10%2D148%2D2 but if that doesn't do it, there has to be something else causing the ball to slow down, that thing really got the ball moving you could almost get it to go around twice to 100k - might be that plastic your talking about - is the plunger aligned with the center of the ball correctly.

#6 12 years ago

Check alignment of shooter rod. It must strike center of ball. Mine was hitting top of center driving ball down. Had to shim it. Worked great.

#7 12 years ago

I understand you wanting to get the plunger up to full capacity, but I always go for the 25k with the passenger pick up, seems like the better deal.

#8 12 years ago

I fixed mine by putting the strong spring on it. Get the proper part no. from the manual. If you do, you will soon be able to turn the spinout over, and get a smaller score!

#9 12 years ago

I've looked through the manual but didn't find a part number for the spring. I ordered one from Mad Amusements, painted red and it specified "for games that require extra strong plunger spring for shots up a ramp, like Taxi...". If there's a stronger spring, I'll buy it.

Av8, how did you shim up your plunger rod? Did you put a shim under the mounting plate bottom on the front? I've moved it up and down, but couldn't figure out how I could shim it to angle the plunger rod down without it showing on the outside.

And I do usually shoot for the 25K and spot a passenger, but once I get up to 4 or 5x I'd like to be able to hit 100K, plus you should be able to go over 100K and take the chance of scoring low.

#10 12 years ago

Sorry bud, the red spring worked for me. Assure proper alignment with the ball track, shim plunger assy by using washers on the inside of the cabinet for alignment. If after all that and still won't work, there's obviously another issue. Don't know...

#11 12 years ago

Is your game level? Is the pitch correct? The older Sys11's really like pitch to be 6.5 degrees. I can get through almost 2 full cycles to 100K on mine. I didn't have to do anything except make sure the game was level front to back and left to right and then set the pitch...

#12 12 years ago

I'm still having trouble visualizing how to shim the inside to change the angle. I would need to shim the bottom to move the angle of the plunger down. Did you use a stack of washers to increase the distance between the inner plate and the plunger casting on the outside?

I will check the rear level again, I know the front is spot on.

#13 12 years ago

After shimming, leveling, adjusting, until I'm blue in the face, the top red piece on the spinout ramp appears to be the issue. I rigged the broken side down with a self-tapping screw. This ramp has been epoxied before so it's not mint or even close. Maybe someone will make a replacement someday, there certainly is the demand. Anyway, I am now happy to say that I can spin up to 10K on the way around now, which is not great, but at least it puts more skill back in the shot. Thanks for bearing with me and for the advice.

#14 12 years ago

Mine is a cobbeld together mess that I actually had to fiberglass back together. I hate using it as is, but it's the best I can do. I was having a huge issue with mine not even reaching 50k. I went ahead and epoxied the red reverse ramp to the toilet bowl spinout part and that really helped with rigidity. I can get it easily to 25k the second time around on a good shot.

I really wish CPL or someone would do a repro. Even if it was 100 bucks, that would be a great deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-spinout-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.