(Topic ID: 90259)

Taxi Spin-Out Ramp Sale Date And Pricing Announced!!!

By TwistedPins

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150125_010.jpg
WP_20150125_007.jpg
201408-twisted-pin-ramp5.jpg
201408-twisted-pin-ramp2.jpg
201408-twisted-pin-ramp1.jpg
IMG_20140725_173834 (Medium).jpg
IMG_3572.JPG
2014-04-21 22.15.38.jpg
2014-07-22 13.58.23.jpg
2014-07-22 13.58.33.jpg
2014-07-22 13.58.28.jpg
2014-07-22 13.58.40.jpg
1996.jpeg
CORVETTE 002.jpg
Taxi Blue Installed #6.JPG
Taxi Blue Installed #5.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MonkeyGrass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 9 years ago

Stoked, can't wait for the final pricing!! This is the last piece of plastic I need for my Taxi.

3 weeks later
#82 9 years ago

Ooooooooh. Maaaaaaaah. Geeeerrrrrrrd!

This is perfect. BLUE Spinout ramps?! Yes yes YES!!!

They will go perfect with my blue superbands and the blue star posts I added. Plus, my OEM red one works well (seriously, I think sometimes I'm the only Taxi owners who's spinout goes past 100 to 1 if you really get a perfect plunge) so this will be a perfect contrast.

Put me down for a blue one!!

#superstoked

3 weeks later
#91 9 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

YOU JINXED IT! Now we won't hear anything for weeks!

I was just coming back to this thread to say....

Uhhhhh...

Hello?

Any word on an actual production run of these? It's been several weeks since the prototypes were finished and I thought we were getting close to being able to purchase one....

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from TwistedPins:

No we didn't make a couple thousand of these as not only would that take up too much space in our shop I highly doubt we would ever sell that many. We made around 200 of them.

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

What I want to know is the 200 you made, is that all youre going to make?

Quoted from TwistedPins:

At this time we don't have plans to rerun the tool anytime soon.

The answer is right there. They made ~ 100 red, and ~ 100 blue ramps, and have no plans to make another run at this time. This is always the case with repro pinball parts - you buy it when it becomes available, or risk never seeing one again (at least at a reasonable retail price). In other words, yes - you should "free up" some money you might not otherwise have available. I have a feeling these are going to go FAST. More Taxi spinouts seem to be broken that working, and they made thousands of them - it was (and still is) quite a popular title. They have never been done before, so anyone who has a broken spinout is going to be on these like flies on stank. Mine is one of the few that actually do work, and I'm buying a blue one so I have two.

Do you really want to risk waiting another 25 years for a replacement?

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

i'm hoping people with a good ramp won't buy up all the stock just to have a 'spare'

Well, see here's the beauty of a free market. People can buy whatever they want - IF they have the means to do so. If you want one, then save up and buy one. We've known these were coming for several months now, plenty of time to put aside some pennies to save up for a major component of our pins.

IMO, everyone who owns or operates a Taxi needs to buy one of these. Just because mine currently "works" doesn't mean it is free of stress cracks and/or spiderwebbing. I could get 6 months, I could get 6 years of use from it. How smart would it be to *not* by one of these ramps and in a year, have a non-functional machine because the ramp finally let go and I didn't buy one - during the only time they have been freely available in the last 25+ years?

Yeah - not too smart.

Now, all that said, what I seriously hope does *NOT* happen is a bunch of turd resellers snapping them up by the dozen at launch to deplete supply, sit on them until the original sellers are totally out, then putting them out there at ridiculous, inflated pricing. I hope there are some reasonable limits on purchase, if someone puts in an order for 15 ramps - something is going on there for sure.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Only 200? Could be a gold rush.

That's what I'm thinking. Myself, I would have made closer to 500 as an initial batch. These are gonna go like hotcakes.

1 week later
#230 9 years ago

Ahhhh, that felt good. Just purchased the blue set to go with my blue superbands! Might have to check out some pop bumper caps to complete the "blueification" of my Taxi...

#252 9 years ago

Postman just dropped mine off, getting ready for some Pin-surgery this afternoon!

Pics to come

#257 9 years ago

It's in!

I went back to incandescents underneath, but it doesn't give nearly the light I'm used to with the LED's. I'll probably switch them again next time I'm under there.

2014-07-22 13.58.40.jpg2014-07-22 13.58.40.jpg

2014-07-22 13.58.33.jpg2014-07-22 13.58.33.jpg

2014-07-22 13.58.28.jpg2014-07-22 13.58.28.jpg

Here's how it looked until last night:

2014-04-21 22.15.38.jpg2014-04-21 22.15.38.jpg

#261 9 years ago

I'll try to take another picture tonight, with the ambient room lighting off. That's how I took the one of the red ramp. Curious to see how much the blue "glows" compared to the red. Not sure whether it's because it's new, or what - but the blue is much more translucent than the old red one was. Might have to get some blue LED's under it... And now the question of blue bumper caps... decisions decisions!

Only issue I had installing the ramp (besides the holes being really tight - as they should be) was the spacing on the 1-10k light strip mounting points. The holes are about 1/16" closer together on the new ramp, and the light strip doesn't want to screw in fully underneath without bending the circuit board. I'm going to see if I can move the ears a bit and get them closer together next time I go in there.

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Not complaining, just trying to get it to work like my stock ramp where the strip is straight. I dont want one without the strip, I just want to make it straight. Ive fiddled with this one for about an hour now and Ican get it to hit 100k about 1 in 6 shots but it wont go past 100k and start over. If I send it back to you can you glue it straight instead of at an angle or is that gonna be too much of a pain? Ill gladly forfeit any warranty this may have to have it like that.

I'm having pretty much the same issue. The ball is *cooking* up the ramp, and then just dies after 4-5 rotations. Even on my old crusty ramp, I could consistently hit 100k with a full shot, and occasionally roll past it to 1k or 5k again. I've managed to hit 100k about 4 times out of approximately 25 games so far, and never has it gone past 100k.

Not sure quite what the issue is, but a brand new ramp should certainly work smoother than a 26 yr old spiderwebbed one...

#277 9 years ago

I've got a new red spring, the whole machine was professionally shopped a couple months ago. I've spent nearly 2 hours tweaking the wireform entry ramp. The only thing that's truly different in my setup is the spinout ramp. Had no problems getting to all the way around and back to 5k on my old one, and can barely hit 75k the first time around on most shots with the new one. I think I've hit 100k 3 or 4 times in 25+ games since I replaced the ramp. I'll keep playing with it, but perhaps some of you that have kickin' ramps can share some tips on the best way to align everything?

2 weeks later
#293 9 years ago
Quoted from Nico:

Where is this red spring ?
i have new ramp too...and got the same problem

Red plunger spring - it's the stiffest one I believe, and Taxi needs every bit of it!

5 months later
#313 9 years ago

Yeah I was going to post that plunger alignment, and having a new red spring (inner) and barrel spring (outer) make a HUGE difference. I spent hours aligning the wireform, ramp, and novusing the heck out of the spinout. No difference, just an occasional 100k on a monster plunge.

In the end, two new springs, a full plunger rebuild and re-positioning it to hit lower and centered more on the ball is what did it. Nothing to do with the metal strip at all.

Now I go all the way around to 10-25K on a full plunge.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MonkeyGrass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-spin-out-ramp-reproductions-samples-are-in?tu=MonkeyGrass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.