• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s11flip0 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I've checked the fuse. It's good. Voltage to the coil good. Replaced cool with another working one. Still dead. Checked with a meter for continuity on the cabinet switch good. Only thing is I jumped a wire from the center lug to ground braid and the flipper energized twice and then blew the fuse. Replaced fuse and back to square 1. Any suggestions? I'm thinking it's in the switch circuit since the coil gets power. This was a friends game for years no problem. I moved the machine and a dozen games in and now this

#2 6 years ago

It's likely right in front of your face. I tend to freak out in these situations and then come back the next day & I'm like "DOH!".

Triple check that the EOS is closed?

#3 6 years ago

First thing to realize, is to get to know the fundamentals of how the flipper system works in this game. The fuse for the flipper voltage protects both flippers, so if the fuse is blown or some other catastrophic failure of the power supply to the flippers occurs - BOTH flippers would be dead. You should get to know your voltage measuring skills - checking for DC voltage present at the coil is first. Grounding the trigger side of the coil momentarily will then reveal if the coil is working. 99% of the time, if one flipper is failed you won't be needing to replace the fuse or coil.

Next, you check the EOS and ground path back through the flipper system. The EOS must be making good contact when closed to transfer current to the coil. Find the cab switch and momentarily ground either side of the contacts. One side should trigger the coil. If it does not, go back to the mech and examine the EOS and associated wiring there. If grounding the flipper cab switch did work, then you check the cab switch contacts and the ground path back to the MPU board. The ground path runs through the MPU board for the sole purpose of relay control for the flippers to be enabled or not. Sometimes there are connector problems involved here. A crude simplified diagram below:

s11flip0 (resized).pngs11flip0 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-right-flipper-died and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.