Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by maestro
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I have a taxi who developed 'reset' symptoms. However when it first happened it was periodic and the game when allowed to sit in attract mode for a few minutes, would then play games without resetting. Now, as soon as the game boots and kicks a few coils during the boot, it 'resets' instantly and stays looping like that. When the problem first started happening, wiggling / pressing the cable connection on the power rectifier board fixed it. I am guessing its a 5v issue, and that some component is bad or the game needs some solder reflow but I am unsure how to test that theory on the board. Assume I am an idiot with a pinball machine and a multimeter. What's the first thing I should check, and how do I check that thing?

Thanks!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

+12volt unregulated is dipping down below 10.4 volts , your issue is not uncommon with system 11 mpu's , i had issues that were fixed with a new power supply board , if you have clips on the meter monitor your +12 while you start it up and see what happens to the voltage while things are happening when you play and such , i mean either 12 is being pulled down by something or the 12 is just not stable , i noticed that it happened more for me when the back box was closed instead of opened and i figured heat was effecting my taxi in the back box so i placed a hair dryer on parts of the back box and heating the power supply +12 was very sensitive so i replaced it and long story short it works much better now , so get clips be very careful not to let any thing slip and short out , monitor your unreg +12v ( 5v is derived from the +12v if i remembered right) but the reset is caused by the +12 line , also sound board can pull it down so you can unplug power to it and test +12 , for me the 5volt never was out of tolerance

Ok so which pin is 12v and how do I check its voltage?

Quoted from maestro:

Agreed, rebuild your power supply and reflow header pins or replace with new board.

Normally, I'd just buy the xpin repro board and be done w/ it. But I'm on a little more of a budget. Is there a good guide to power supply 'rebuilds'?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If your High Voltage tests ok, then a power supply rebuild normally is just a cap kit and resolder the male header pins. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W12246-PEC-KIT

I have the HV/Display fuse out of the game because the game has LED displays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 109.00
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-resets-constantly-on-startup?tu=richthofen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.