ramp_not_flush.jpg
room_to_seat_but_doesn_t_drop_further..jpg
room_to_seat_but_doesn_t_drop_further2.jpg
top_edge_has_a_little_room.jpg
Taxi_dangling_purple_and_brown.jpg
Taxi_J9_WTF.jpg
2013-03-09_09.23.24.jpg
switch_spinbig1.jpg
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

My Taxi Pinbot drop targets stopped registering a few days ago and all I had to do to fix them was unplug and plug the opto board connector back in. Seems like a common issue.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

You can also remove each opto board, start a switch test, and block the opto beam with a business card, the beam registers closed when blocked, also you can wiggle the plugs to see if you have a loose plug on the board.

You are gonna think I'm crazy now.

I tried your idea.

power off > remove opto board (pinbot) > power on > wave business card during switch test. It senses all 3 optos.

Next, thinking we are good, (power off) I put the opto board back on, slip 2 of 3 eclips back on and power on, press start, and try to flick each pinbot target down. Nothing.

If the pinbot optos actually do work, but now for some reason when I mount the board, they never see any change in position of all 3 moving drop targets. I am dumbfounded. I never changed the location of any drop targets, I merely cleaned them with a Qtip. I didn't loosen the screws that anchor the drop targets to the playfield. Just removed e-clips and started cleaning the 3 drop targets. I feel like we are a breath away from a solution here.

Ideas?

#53 11 years ago

Your problem sounds like it could be mechanical now, (things not lining up). When I replaced the rubber grommets on each board it was possible to get the e clip back on, but still have the board too far away from the fin on the target bank. Check that the target fin is passing deep enough into the opto valley. In test mode, all balls removed of course, drop one target and see if it registers, if not, gently apply pressure on the opto board behind the opto (solder side) of the target you just dropped to see if it trips the opto. You still could still have a loose connection of some kind too. Took me a while to find the broken leads on a few of my opto's.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Your problem sounds like it could be mechanical now, (things not lining up). When I replaced the rubber grommets on each board it was possible to get the e clip back on, but still have the board too far away from the fin on the target bank. Check that the target fin is passing deep enough into the opto valley. In test mode, all balls removed of course, drop one target and see if it registers, if not, gently apply pressure on the opto board behind the opto (solder side) of the target you just dropped to see if it trips the opto. You still could still have a loose connection of some kind too. Took me a while to find the broken leads on a few of my opto's.

I think that tip has led us to the real problem!

I tried the switch test one by one, and nothing happened, then I heard a beep, and realized, it's the 4 wires that pass through the coupler. I felt that when I moved them a little to pull the coupler off the board, that I was likely moving 4 wires that hadn't moved in 25 years. So one of the four wires doesn't have a good connection.

1) How should I proceed, should I redo all 4 or just the one that seems to be broken?
2) Any links on how to do it?
3) Still wondering how the pinbot set failing has anything to do with the Lola set failing, when I never touched Lola ! (haven't cleaned em/removed em yet)

thanks!
MOF

#55 11 years ago

That opens up a subject of debate. You can certainly re-use or replace the IDC molex plugs you already have, or upgrade to the new style molex plugs. If it was me I like to use the IDC plugs, even though this is exactly what happens. Some would disagree. It's tougher to cram more than one wire into the newer style molex plugs. You will probably be fine just re inserting the wires into their press fit terminal with the proper tool, or a tiny flat balde screwdriver. I've had perfect luck doing this many times as long as there are no burn marks, being it's all very low voltage you shouldn't have any. Here is a little research material. The best learning experience is just what you are going through.

http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#56 11 years ago

[OPTOS FIXED !!!]

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement. Great community.
Special thanks to HighSpeed1 for really helping me narrow this one down.

It was the green wire on Pinbot. Broken. I soldered it back together, a little shrink tubing to seal it up, and pushed it right back into the loop IDC connector.

Lola AND pinbot work from this single fix to one wire. I wonder how or why they would share it ?

I can play my TAXI 100% for the first time since buying the machine. What a great experience this has been. Such a pretty machine.

MOF

#57 11 years ago

Next on my list is to figure out the Bell. Visual inspection looks like everything is hooked up correctly. Any and all tips appreciated on how to diagnose the cause.

MOF

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I can play my TAXI 100% for the first time since buying the machine.

Wooo Hooooo!
Nice work!

GL with getting the bell fixed, that adds something to the game. Oddly, on mine the knocker assembly was completely missing with the wires hanging, just like on yours. The bell wires were cut on mine. Hopefully yours is just as easy a fix.

#59 11 years ago

Glad to hear that you fixed the drop targets, well done! What does the bell do in test mode, anything? All connections good? Did anyone perhaps monkey with the bell itself so it would not ring, like stuff something into it, or alter it?

#60 11 years ago

Just wanted to say that I am impressed with your though processes.

It is one thing to ask for help, but another altogether to do that, learn from it, and post your results. This will make you a better tech in the future. I am learnign from this as well, and appreciate all of your updates.

Chris

#61 11 years ago

Ok, from attract mode open the coin door, remove the balls, push the center red button (Auto up/Manual down) so it's locked in and lower than the outer 2, then push the black button to the left (Advance). You're now in test mode. It's the same way you entered the switch test mode.

Once in test mode release the center red (Auto up/Manual down) button so it's as tall as the rest, push the left advance button slowly till you get to the words "Coil Test". As soon as you get to the coil test, promptly push the center Auto up/Manual down button to pause the entire coil test. Then go back to the left Advance button pushing slowly till you get to the "Cabinet Bell" test. This is test number 05-13. The bell does a continual pulse ring about 1/2 second on, 1/2 second off in this test.

I think this tests the bell regardless of weather it's set to "on of off" in the game settings menu.

#62 11 years ago

post a pic of your bell assembly.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

Ok, from attract mode open the coin door, remove the balls, push the center red button (Auto up/Manual down) so it's locked in and lower than the outer 2, then push the black button to the left (Advance). You're now in test mode. It's the same way you entered the switch test mode.
Once in test mode release the center red (Auto up/Manual down) button so it's as tall as the rest, push the left advance button slowly till you get to the words "Coil Test". As soon as you get to the coil test, promptly push the center Auto up/Manual down button to pause the entire coil test. Then go back to the left Advance button pushing slowly till you get to the "Cabinet Bell" test. This is test number 05-13. The bell does a continual pulse ring about 1/2 second on, 1/2 second off in this test.
I think this tests the bell regardless of weather it's set to "on of off" in the game settings menu.

The bell is fixed. Some previous owner had remounted the Bell hammer around the other side of the leaves... All fixed now it works great... Just had to compare it to my grand lizard...

Thank you for teaching me more about diagnostic mode control.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from mof:

The bell is fixed.

Awesome!
WTG!

#66 11 years ago

=) Thanks for the celebrations, basically the game is 98% playable now, and more exciting with all the flasher bulbs and the bell installed. Man o man that thing goes off a lot...

Now, I have a few more HIGH priority bugs to solve on this before it's done:

HIGH
* remove / clean Lola drop targets and re-sticker Lola
* order and install knocker assembly
* remove and inspect all fuses for accurate type
* solve the new left ramp that doesn't seat on playfield (1/16" gap) <-- this will be tricky

LOW (cosmetic)
* touch up playfield (need black and blue paints too)
* tear-down, clearcoat, and reassemble (someday)
* solder pop bumper lamps in place (someday)
* touch up the back box where needed (someday)

Stay tuned!
MOF

#67 11 years ago

[NEW LEFT RAMP WON'T LAY FLUSH WITH PF]

Tonight I will post pics of how the new left ramp, doesn't seem to allow for the tin flap to lay flush on the PF. Has about a 1/16" thankfully parallel, lay above the PF. My concern is that the new plastic is too deep of a mold. The plastic is clearly thicker than on the original right ramp. I will hesitate to carve or sand the PF to accomodate, I'd rather sand down the base of the plastic ramp.

I'll take some pics tonight, and try to show why it's hard to move this thing around, and where the pressure points are right now. It really only penalizes weak shots right now by slowing them, rather than pushing back or bouncing up shots (like my Diner does sometimes with it's bad right ramp entrance.)

Q: What are some ways to get a stiff new ramp to lay flatter and into the PF ?

MOF

#68 11 years ago

I had to file some material off of the bottom of my repro ramp to get it to sit flush.

#69 11 years ago

From what I can see, the ramp has the ability to seat further, but won't

It can:
1) drop further on the front edge into the recessed groove in the wood (see 2 pics)
2) drop down further from the top edge that (almost) rests on a plastic (see 1 pic)

My concern is that the bottom edge of the ramp is simply too thick to allow the drop. I wish I could see an original ramp and compare the two. I just can't imagine that it's DOUBLE the thickness of the original ramp to allow it to rise this high above the PF.

The good news is that the left ramp works fine for 9/10 shots and so it's not a chronic problem right now. But I'd sure like to mod some aspect of the ramp so that it seats better.

Has anyone gotten past this? What mods did you make?

Thanks!
MOF

top_edge_has_a_little_room.jpgtop_edge_has_a_little_room.jpg room_to_seat_but_doesn_t_drop_further2.jpgroom_to_seat_but_doesn_t_drop_further2.jpg room_to_seat_but_doesn_t_drop_further..jpgroom_to_seat_but_doesn_t_drop_further..jpg ramp_not_flush.jpgramp_not_flush.jpg

#70 11 years ago

My thoughts are your screws aren't down far enough. You sure you're using the correct screws too?

In pic 3 it looks like they aren't screwed in far enough.

#71 11 years ago

those screws are tricky because they are small and hard to crank down. You need a really nice tiny screwdriver with a bigger handle on it, so you can get enough torque on it. But has to fit in tight with a nice new tip or you'll strip them out.

#72 11 years ago

What is the general idea if u have a strip? Is it like general wood-working where you introduce a glued-in toothpick tip? I'll try screwing em tighter tonight. I was trying to go easy on it at first to not strip it.

MOF

#73 11 years ago

Another trick I found out about my Taxi, the further you screw those 2 tiny screws tight, the more the metal lip will "dip" down and cause problems. I've actually had to back off my screws a tiny bit to get the ramp flush and keep the metal ramp lip a smooth incline.

#74 11 years ago

i'm talking about stripping out the phillips part, not the wood. ALso, I think the flaps on Taxi have that thick tape under the flaps if I remember correctly. But not sure. Been about 6 months since I had to do a Taxi playfield.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm talking about stripping out the phillips part, not the wood.

Clear, I jumped to a new idea about why I didn't lock em down. Yes, also to not throw a bowing-pitch in there. I have that in my Diner, and it messes up like 1/15 shots with the bowed flap.
MOF

#76 11 years ago

I had this same problem with a repro ramp (they are thicker/stronger than the original) and ended up removing wood to get the ramp to sit flush. As I recall all I had to do was make the existing cutout a little deeper. My screw holes were also stripped, so I fixed them with bamboo skewers and elmers glue.

Chris

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I had this same problem with a repro ramp (they are thicker/stronger than the original) and ended up removing wood to get the ramp to sit flush. As I recall all I had to do was make the existing cutout a little deeper. My screw holes were also stripped, so I fixed them with bamboo skewers and elmers glue.
Chris

That's my hesitation on removing some wood -- if I ever get NOS ramps for it, I am wondering the cost of having removed some wood.

What's the best way to remove some wood?

MOF

#78 11 years ago

I used a dremel with a sanding tip. I'm not saying that's the best way as I'm not a carpenter, but that is what I did. If you ever wanted to add that wood back, I'd think wood putty would work. The way these ramps get beat up, I'd stick with the repros.

Chris

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I used a dremel with a sanding tip.

How on earth did u do damage control on all the dust from that?
MOF

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from mof:

How on earth did u do damage control on all the dust from that?
MOF

I used a really small dremel and then vacuumed. The pin already needed a full shop (and still does). I'd probably have the dremel in one hand and a vacuum in the other if you are concerned about it though.

Chris

#81 11 years ago

I love my Dremel! Have you thought about using the Dremel with either a stone grinder bit, or a sanding bit, used on the leading edge of the ramp under the metal flap? Ramps are cheaper to replace than playfields, and more avail. I just bought both repro ramps, but will not install till I receive the repro playfield and do a complete rework. I'm sure you already know this but, your screws are supposed to countersink just below the entrance flap when everything is seated correctly.
I could remove my left ramp and pre-fit the new one in place to see if I get the same thing you are getting and maybe offer some other suggestions.

#82 11 years ago

I just decided to look at my ramps briefly. The thickness at the base of the repro ramp verses the thickness of the original ramp is nearly the same, doesn't look like it's enough to give you the lift you are getting. With that said, something I see that should be done is the screw holes in the plastic need to be drilled with a countersink bit, or Dremel cone shape grinding stone slightly to allow the screw to sink past the flap. You may also want to check under the flap to see if you are completely resting in the wood cutout. It might be a good idea to loosen everything up and start at the entrance of the ramp first making sure it drops into the cutout. I had this same issue with the HighSpeed ramp. Ended up loosening up everything and starting with the entrance first.

counter_sink_bits_200_07.jpgcounter_sink_bits_200_07.jpg countersink_pilot_hole.jpgcountersink_pilot_hole.jpg

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

The screw holes in the plastic need to be drilled with a countersink bit. You may also want to check under the flap to see if you are completely resting in the wood cutout.

Brilliant suggestions. Can't wait to get home to check it out.

Question: Should ramp screws in general, lie below the ramp flaps, like way down flush with the board? Or is there a goal to catch them with the screw head and pull em down...

#84 11 years ago

I would think the best thing is to loosen everything, remove the screws at the ramp entrance, fit the entrance of the ramp into the wood cutout, once you know that you are in the cutout, then see where your screw holes are in relation to the holes in the wood. I have talked to James at Pinball INC before buying mine about a month ago, he mentioned that these ramps were made from the original molds, so you should line up good. The screw heads should countersink almost flush with the plastic. If you create too big of a countersink hole you will be left with nothing for the screw to hold on to. Best to drill a little then test, then more if needed. You're only looking for the screw to pop below the ramp flap. IMG_2028.JPGIMG_2028.JPG IMG_2029.JPGIMG_2029.JPG IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2030.JPG

#85 11 years ago

SOLVED !!! Plays much better now. Much smoother. Will wear less on the balls too now.

After playing it a few weeks, it was super clear taking the ramp off again to see what the issue was.

These repro ramps have rivets on the bottom that need space... They had worn into the yellow wood basically asking for space.

I gently Dremeled out some space for the rivets. Problem solved !

My screws are still a 'tad' high, but I'll have to buy those special bits you showed me.

Thank you all for the tips, hints, and encouragement... !

(pics coming soon)
MOF

#86 11 years ago

If the screws are at least flush with the steel flap, you should be fine.

#87 11 years ago

Yep, just be sure that when you shoot your ramps, the ball doesn't launch up. I had that happen a few times with my repro ramps. If it does, no worries, just back your screws out a little until it rides the ramp cleanly.

#88 11 years ago

Here we go...

You can see the rivets on the bottom of these repro ramps. They take up a lot of space like a washer does.

I had to make space for them. This fixed everything.

(see pics)

MOF

very_flat_now.jpgvery_flat_now.jpg room_for_rivets_now.jpgroom_for_rivets_now.jpg damn_rivets.jpgdamn_rivets.jpg

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get good guy over there and do it ?
I hope he didn't already assemble it because he knew something you will discover.
Good luck.
LTG : )

Actually, per our handshake agreement, he just shipped my paypal $27 to cover the missing knocker assembly. Was the only surprise. Great guy. Game plays great.

thanks!
MOF

#90 11 years ago

Good fix on the ramp with the washers. Avoiding anything evasive is always the best solution.

#91 11 years ago

Question - should the side tin flaps on either ramp go inside or outside of the ramp lane?

MOF

#92 11 years ago

They both go on the inside of the ramp to help protect the inner sidewall.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

They both go on the inside of the ramp to help protect the inner sidewall.

Is that generally a true rule for all side ramp flaps?
MOF

#94 11 years ago

I could be wrong, but I'd say yes. It's like a cliffy protector from the factory. When I got my Taxi both side flaps were on the outside of each ramp, i looked at that and figured that made no sense, and did nothing on the outside. What makes sense is the ball enters the left ramp mostly from the right flipper which tends to impact the left sidewall, and the reverse for the right ramp.

#95 11 years ago

Knocker assembly. Arrived. Installed. Check.
MOF

#96 11 years ago

Where did you find a complete knocker?

#98 11 years ago

100% complete.

HIGH (final 2 bugs)
* remove / clean Lola drop targets and re-sticker Lola (done!)
* remove and inspect all fuses for correct type (done! -- found 7 incorrect fuses !)

"Some day" I will touch up all the little minor blemishes and clear-coat, once I get practice on some beaters.

This thing is playing like a *DREAM* right now. When your drop targets fall in pairs like glass, and the ramp shots are butter... knocker snaps hard and crisp, bell works, pop bumpers are a machine gun battery.

Mark Ritchie + Chris Granner = Geniuses. Cranked the max jackpot down to 1.5mm to even out the scoring better between games.

So grateful that someone contacted me on CL to sell this to me, and it was someone that loves pinball as much as I do. If you want a great machine, put that ad up on CL, and start praying !!!

Will post some pics soon of the finished product.

Stay tuned!
MOF

#99 11 years ago

Congrats! You've done a bang up job in getting this one back to life. Taxi is a great game and never leaving my collection.

10 months later
#100 10 years ago

After spending the last two days working on my Taxi (first pin), I read this thread with great interest. You Rock MOF, and how cool is this community offering their time and advice? How hard was it to get your bumpers working well? I've been struggling with mine, but tomorrow is another day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 109.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-project-reassembly/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.