• 32 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BJM-Maxx
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 11 years ago

So my taxi cannot plunge past 50k on the spinout. Spinout has a hairline crack but ball movement is not impeded. I cleaned the spinout ramp, metal wire ramp. It seems that the plunger is not lined up on the middle of the ball, it's slightly above. Problem is, the shooter bracket is positioned as low as it can go.

Replaced plunger, spring, sleeve and c-clip already. Using the red spring.

I checked the brackets that hold the playfield in place, they don't appear bent. I could shim the playfield up a bit but that seems like a hack. However, when testing while shimmed the ball does make it to 100k.

If I do shim it, how should I go about it? Put washers underneath the bracket? I have the playfield leveled at 6.5, if I shim it ill likely lose some height and the levelers are cranked up as high as they can go.

Advice?

#2 11 years ago

Are the brackets from the playfield to the lockdown bar receiver where they hook on, bent ?

There should be three screws inside the plunger assembly you can loosen to adjust where it sits to hit the ball better.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are the brackets from the playfield to the lockdown bar receiver where they hook on, bent ?
There should be three screws inside the plunger assembly you can loosen to adjust where it sits to hit the ball better.
LTG : )

No, they're not bent, not compared to my pinbot anyways.

Yes, I tried to adjust the shooter bracket downwards but it won't go any further down. Either the assembly the playfield hooks on to is settled down, or the bracket itself might be toast?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

If I do shim it, how should I go about it? Put washers underneath the bracket? I have the playfield leveled at 6.5, if I shim it ill likely lose some height and the levelers are cranked up as high as they can go.

Instead of shimming the playfield, shim the shooter assembly. Loosen screws, put a fat flat washer or two under the bottom of the outside bracket (below the plunger), retighten. This should bring the shooter tip down. Definitely hackish, but works.

Spinout ramp also needs to be rigid. A wobbly spinout will kill you every time.

#5 11 years ago

My Taxi's spinout was doing same as yours only getting about 50,000 every time. I found that this is directly related to leveling. I put a new tip and spring on the shooter rod and it made little differences. Then I spent $35 for a craftsman level (you can read about that level in a thread I started) after I perfectly leveled the game at an exact 6 deg and level side to side. I am getting 100,000 very regularly with an occasional 75,000. If you over do it you'll end up going past 100,000 and getting the 1k bonus.

#6 11 years ago

The table might be too steep, it's possible. I know that on the left ramp sometimes the ball will chug down the ramp so fast that it backspins into the outlane. However, I prefer a difficult table and when I initially set up the table I used an inclinometer and had it set at 6.5 or so. I will re-test the incline.

#7 11 years ago

Re-leveled at 6 degrees. No dice

#8 11 years ago

Have you taken apart your shooter rod assembly and cleaned the shaft, changed the rod sleeve and barrel spring? It might be binding up a tad. That should glide smoothly through that assembly, they are of ten gummed up a bit and will slow it down considerably when released.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Have you taken apart your shooter rod assembly and cleaned the shaft, changed the rod sleeve and barrel spring? It might be binding up a tad. That should glide smoothly through that assembly, they are of ten gummed up a bit and will slow it down considerably when released.

Yep. New shooter rod, sleeve and spring.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Spinout ramp also needs to be rigid. A wobbly spinout will kill you every time.

+1000

#11 11 years ago

Do you find that your ball after it goes throughout the spin out and the kicker kicks it to the top, draining a lot down the Gorbie/Jackpot orbit, instead of one of the 3 lanes? If so you may have a slight playfield twisting going on. I know on mine I was having a hard time getting both the bottom (near the slings) and the top (near the lanes) to both be level at the same time. And as LTG said, it turned out that my left playfield hinge (the one below the left sling that connects to the bar lock down area) was missing a screw and the other was loose. After I added a new screw and tightened the rest up I was then able to get both the top and bottom level and at 6 deg.

#12 11 years ago

I've had my Taxi about six months & it's been a constant struggle to keep her level (on carpet...uggh) and keep the skill shot running smoothly. Once I figured out to install perfectly adjusted back legs onto a nice 30" piece of 2x6, skill shot spins perfectly now. You can really tell if Taxi gets out of whack when the locked ball drains on release. If that happens--- re level. I like it really cranked up (PAPA style).

A well leveled Taxi should easily plunge 100 at 75% pull. Great pin, hope you can work it out.

#13 11 years ago

Do you have the correct spring?

#14 11 years ago

Spring is the red one from Marco.

Anyways, made progress on this today, swapped out the shooter assembly from my pinbot. Wouldn't you know it, my shooter rod is slightly shorter on Taxi! I ordered the rod from Bay Area amusements instead of Marco so ended up getting one that's 7 and 3/4, Marco is listed at 7 and 7/8th.

Anyways, longer shooter rod works better, but still isn't optimal unless I shim the playfield a quarter inch or so. However with the playfield shimmed the lockdown bar can't close (has a lip that hits the arms that hold the playfield onto the lockdown mechanism. With the shimmed playfield the spinout rolls over to 1k or 5k with a full plunge.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Anyways, longer shooter rod works better, but still isn't optimal unless I shim the playfield a quarter inch or so. However with the playfield shimmed the lockdown bar can't close (has a lip that hits the arms that hold the playfield onto the lockdown mechanism. With the shimmed playfield the spinout rolls over to 1k or 5k with a full plunge.

Quoted from phishrace:

Instead of shimming the playfield, shim the shooter assembly.

Did you try that? ^^^^

You can also try shimming the shooter assembly from the inside, although I think I had to do it outside on my Taxi to make it work best.

#16 11 years ago

I tried shimming the shooter assembly, didn't change the shooter rod angle significantly enough. Nt only that but theres not a ton of room to put washers in there. Pretty frustrated, now I know how ops feel.

#17 11 years ago

I wonder, do the shooter rod assemblies themselves go bad? Can they warp or bias such that they need to be replaced?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

So my taxi cannot plunge past 50k on the spinout. Spinout has a hairline crack but ball movement is not impeded. I cleaned the spinout ramp, metal wire ramp. It seems that the plunger is not lined up on the middle of the ball, it's slightly above. Problem is, the shooter bracket is positioned as low as it can go.
Replaced plunger, spring, sleeve and c-clip already. Using the red spring.
I checked the brackets that hold the playfield in place, they don't appear bent. I could shim the playfield up a bit but that seems like a hack. However, when testing while shimmed the ball does make it to 100k.
Advice?

Thought you already did replace the rod you called it the plunger? Did you mean the rubber tip?

#19 11 years ago

No I mean the metal bracket that the shooter rod sits in, the entire assembly.

This: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21-6645-1

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I wonder, do the shooter rod assemblies themselves go bad?

Not usually. They get abused and are designed to take the abuse. Bent shooter rod is about the most damage you'll see.

A new one may help. It likely won't be identical to what you have now. You could also try making the hole in the cabinet slightly larger. With the shooter assembly attached loosely, see how much overlap you have over the hole. Then cut slowly and carefully with a sharp knife where you need more play.

#21 11 years ago

See if the two screws that tighten down the plastic Taxi are too long on the metal shoot. If those two screws are too long, they will hit the pinball. Take off the taxi and try it. Good luck.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

See if the two screws that tighten down the plastic Taxi are too long on the metal shoot. If those two screws are too long, they will hit the pinball. Take off the taxi and try it. Good luck.

I tried the shooter lane without the taxi plastic or this spinout ramp cover and the behavior was the same.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I tried the shooter lane without the taxi plastic or this spinout ramp cover and the behavior was the same.

how high up does the shooter rod hit above the center of the pin?

#24 11 years ago

Nice attempt at troubleshooting via forum. Might want to get on the phone and talk it out

#25 11 years ago

I had a Taxi in my collection for several months, and I never managed to get the spinout shot past 50K either. Tried everything that has been mentioned in this thread to no avail! The ball seemed to be rattling and losing momentum in the wireform to the spinout ramp.

#26 11 years ago

I will say that Taxi is one of the most difficult shooter alignment machines in pinball, probably the worst that I can think of. The shooter has to be perfectly straight, and from there the ball can slow down for a ton of reasons after that. As with most machines I find, no matter how straight the shooter assembly is, turning the plunger prior to shooting, and observing how the ball reacts based on where the rod was turned, makes a difference still for me. This can mean the difference between getting to 50k or 75k, or getting around to a few past 100k.

Then the kicker is that if you get it all perfect and you are firing it up there with enough force to constantly hit over the 100k, congrats, because now you are bashing away on a ramp that is mostly destroyed on all games and can’t be repro’d.

The skill shot in this game was a superb idea, but the way it was designed was asking for all kinds of problems. Easy to say now of course, but they should have had a more straight path to the spinout, and a metal protector back there. I don’t know why on all machines they didn’t start raising up the shooter lane on a wire form ramp, allowing for the PF to be extended underneath is. This gives you virtually a WB design width in a standard game.

Taxi is a great machine though. I’m so glad I finally landed one last year.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Tony01:

how high up does the shooter rod hit above the center of the pin?

I assume you mean center of the ball. It's about 1/4 of an inch above and to the right of the center of the ball.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I assume you mean center of the ball. It's about 1/4 of an inch above and to the right of the center of the ball.

That's way off the mark... try using shims or washers on the plunger holder to set it on the center. I have my set dead on center. My plunge will go around and back to 50K.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Anyways, longer shooter rod works better,

That's what she said.

Mine has been great since swapping the spring out for red. Very easy to overcook the launch. Hope you get it working better. Sounds like your whole shooter assembly may be mounted slightly high.

6 years later
#30 4 years ago

Yes, raising an old post from the dead.

Recently bought a Taxi, like post #27, my plunger is misaligned too high by a good 1/4" and to the right of the ball. Wondering if anyone has a good fix that does not require shimming the plunger assembly on a tilt. I would like the casting to sit flush on the cabinet face rather than be shimmed outward at the bottom.

#31 4 years ago

I have used a round file and cut the cabinet to fit the ball shooter assembly to the playfield.
I also had to put a "v" cut into the red ramp to help the transition from the wire form to
the flat plastic.

#32 4 years ago

That is a good idea, I will see how much I can lower it in the cabinet. Wonder why Taxis are so inconsistent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-plunger-adjustment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.